U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2015, 09:52 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 676,385 times
Reputation: 618

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
How can you say the math doesnt add up if you dont have his personal information. I am willing to take him at his word.
Well, because as I pointed out Albertans will generally pay the same or less overall tax to Texans until their income is above $118,500 (C$155,000). It's because Canadians don't pay Social Security payroll tax above incomes of C$51,000 and Americans pay it all the way up to $118,500. It's a significant burden on middle-class Americans (especially any who are self-employed, who pay 12.4% instead of 6.2%) that simply does not exist above C$51,000 in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2015, 09:56 AM
 
1,746 posts, read 4,632,472 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
For those keeping score, there have been 162 murders in Houston this year as of back in July and only 20 murders in Calgary as of today. Extrapolate to today and there have probably been about 190 murders in Houston so far versus 20 in Calgary in 2015 as of this moment.

That's 190 murders out of 2.2 million people in Houston, compared to 20 out of 1.1 million people in Calgary. The murder rate in Canada is one-third the murder rate in the USA, but the difference is even more stark between Calgary and Houston.

Houston has five times the murder rate of Calgary. You could almost call it an order of magnitude.
Five times in bold sounds scary, if you don't take into account actual numbers comparing to the total of the population.

Lets say, there are two cities of 500K population each with 1 murder in one city and 5 murders in another. It's still five times more, but does the city with 5 murders sound much more dangerous to you than another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 09:58 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 676,385 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Five times in bold sounds scary, if you don't take into account actual numbers comparing to the total of the population.

Lets say, there are two cities of 500K population each with 1 murder in one city and 5 murders in another. It's still five times more, but does the city with 5 murders sound much more dangerous to you than another?
190 is very significant considering the year isn't anywhere near over. That's 300 murders a year in Houston, which isn't exactly huge. New York City only has 350 murders a year, and it is four times larger.

In fact, New York City is only 25% more dangerous than Calgary. Houston is three times more dangerous than New York City and five times more dangerous than Calgary.

300 murders is not "5," so your point is pretty irrelevant to Houston. It is one of the Murder Capitals of America, and it's been a Murder Capital for 40 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:04 AM
 
1,746 posts, read 4,632,472 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
190 is very significant considering the year isn't anywhere near over. That's 300 murders a year in Houston, which isn't exactly huge. New York City only has 350 murders a year, and it is four times larger.

In fact, New York City is only 25% more dangerous than Calgary. Houston is three times more dangerous than New York City and five times more dangerous than Calgary.

300 murders is not "5," so your point is pretty irrelevant to Houston. It is one of the Murder Capitals of America.
I agree with you that this is an issue. And yes, my point is probably irrelevant to Houston.

However, your emphasized five times can be misleading and falsely sensational if you don't look at actual numbers and at population totals. It's all I wanted to show you.

In general, it seems to me that you tend to undermine issues in Canada and overblow issues in the US. It's very obvious from your posts that you are very subjective in your perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:08 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 676,385 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
misleading and falsely sensational if you don't look at actual numbers and at population totals. It's all I wanted to show you.
I clearly stated actual numbers and population totals. But thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:10 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 676,385 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
In general, it seems to me that you tend to undermine issues in Canada and overblow issues in the US. It's very obvious from your posts that you are very subjective in your perception.
No, not really. And again, I'm an American living in New York City, so I'm not exactly a biased Canadian. Everyone will see things as they want to, but I've not said anything abnormally subjective and have backed all statements with cold facts.

There are a lot of myths regarding this issue ("taxes are way higher in Canada") that haven't been true for a decade or more. So it's good to correct them when we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM
 
1,746 posts, read 4,632,472 times
Reputation: 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
No, not really. And again, I'm an American living in New York City, so I'm not exactly a biased Canadian. Everyone will see things as they want to, but I've not said anything abnormally subjective and have backed all statements with cold facts.

There are a lot of myths regarding this issue ("taxes are way higher in Canada") that haven't been true for a decade or more. So it's good to correct them when we can.
I like Canada a lot, taxes or not. Canada is a great country in many ways.

It's great that you are a dual citizen and can move to Canada anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,566 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
There are a lot of myths regarding this issue ("taxes are way higher in Canada") that haven't been true for a decade or more. So it's good to correct them when we can.
Here's a better statement for you.

Disposable income is less in Canada than the US.

At the end of the day, that's all that matters, to me anyways. Blimp can live in his theoretical bubble, and Botti can enjoy his walkable urban paradise at -20 and salty. Me, I'll just float in my pool in February with my wife who no longer has to work to support our household, and lament how much "worse" things are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,566 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
I clearly stated actual numbers and population totals. But thank you.
Compare Metro areas, and you'll have a far more accurate picture. It's like saying Calgary is double the size of Vancouver because Van has a population of just over 600K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Reputation: 8602
I never really thought that material wealth being generally higher in the U.S. than in Canada would be something that could be so hotly debated. Seems pretty obvious to me what the answer is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top