U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 AM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I never really thought that material wealth being generally higher in the U.S. than in Canada would be something that could be so hotly debated. Seems pretty obvious to me what the answer is.
It's that silly season before hockey starts, and summer is over. Everyone's a little jumpy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 10:27 AM

430 posts, read 677,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Compare Metro areas, and you'll have a far more accurate picture. It's like saying Calgary is double the size of Vancouver because Van has a population of just over 600K.
Nope. I didn't include murders from the Metro area, so it doesn't make any logical sense at all. You are free to include all the murders from all the little towns near Houston and Calgary, but I guarantee it doesn't change the story at all. Both Calgary and Houston are sprawling cities that are spread out across many miles of suburbs, and are nothing like Vancouver.

Houston is a hotbed for criminals and murders, even by U.S. standards. Calgary, not so much.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
It's that silly season before hockey starts, and summer is over. Everyone's a little jumpy.
Summer isn't over here. It's been 30C and sunny for the past couple of days. I was still in my pool at 10:30 last night.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post

Houston is a hotbed for criminals and murders, even by U.S. standards. Calgary, not so much.
Now you're just being funny.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I never really thought that material wealth being generally higher in the U.S. than in Canada would be something that could be so hotly debated. Seems pretty obvious to me what the answer is.
Material wealth is higher in Canada except for the wealthy. Canada today has the highest median income in the world, and the U.S. is second.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Now you're just being funny.
I've backed up pretty much everything I've said with the relevant information and statistics from third-party sources. You haven't for a single statement...

Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Here's a better statement for you.

Disposable income is less in Canada than the US.

At the end of the day, that's all that matters, to me anyways. Blimp can live in his theoretical bubble, and Botti can enjoy his walkable urban paradise at -20 and salty. Me, I'll just float in my pool in February with my wife who no longer has to work to support our household, and lament how much "worse" things are here.
That's false, too. Although it may be true in Houston, where houses are by far the cheapest of any major city in English-speaking North America. Buying a house for hardly anything will free up a lot of money. You're still in what we Americans call "flyover country" because there's nothing to do there and you couldn't walk to it anyway.

And you have Houston weather, which if you don't mind me saying, is possibly the worst climate in North America. It's too humid to go outside between April and October, and it also gets less sunshine than the entire rest of Texas (which is very sunny).

If you like extreme humidity and sweating in overcast heat, be my guest. But while I'd usually never say that Canada's climate is superior to the USA (it's the one area where Canada is normally lacking), the climate is Calgary is certainly much more bearable than that of Houston. For most people anyway... obviously not everyone!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Material wealth is higher in Canada except for the wealthy. Canada today has the highest median income in the world, and the U.S. is second.
Quote:
I've backed up pretty much everything I've said with the relevant information and statistics from third-party sources. You haven't for a single statement...
Speaking of which.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Statistical information does not tell the whole story.

"Houston is a hotbed for criminals and murders, even by U.S. standards." is not a statistical statement, it's a poorly formed opinion based on limited information.

Is Canada a better place to be poor? Absolutely. That's what your link says. It's also a worse place to be if you're towards the other end of that scale, which is also on that link. I am certainly not prepared to share my personal financial information, but as someone who has paid and is currently paying into both the taxation regimes in question, I have a sample size of one, but I know every variable. But at the same time, I'm not professing anything other than my own experience.

By all means, Canada is way cheaper. Everyone should go there, that way when it comes time to retire I'll still get my CPP payments.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 09-17-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-17-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
"Houston is a hotbed for criminals and murders, even by U.S. standards." is not a statistical statement, it's a poorly formed opinion based on limited information.
Oh, but you're ignoring the talk of 300 to 400 murders a year surrounding that statement, as well as the citation for Houston being known as a Murder Capital of America not just now but going back as far as 1979.

Baltimore and Detroit passed it in the 1980s and 1990s, but it is still high on the list and probably always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or