Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 PM

430 posts, read 834,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
You also forgot about longer life expectancy and less fat and homeless people.
Good points. I also forgot:

(1) Canada has no gerrymandered House districts that are a total affront to our democracy.

(2) Canada has no billionaires running their elections (no Citizens United ruling, and no Koch Brothers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 11:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:

I went to Montreal this summer and didn't see one homeless person during the 8 days I was there, and I scowered the city.

And I personally don't get the belief that the USA is so much cheaper.. At least all the desirable places in the USA are just as expensive, if not more, than the major cities in Canada. They are all expensive...
I'm from Montreal, and unfortunately there are thousands of homeless people. You just weren't looking in the right places. Homelessness is less of a problem there than in my current city, Vancouver, but it is present in Montreal. Is extreme poverty less of a problem in Montreal than in most US cities? Yes, ghettos and such simply do not exist in the same way and although it is not a prosperous city on the whole, there is a certain lack of desperate, grinding poverty (although poverty is never pleasant and I wish fortunes were better for many). Obesity in Canada is worst in the Atlantic provinces and rural areas and less of an issue on the West Coast and in Quebec, but yes, on average is a bit less of a problem then in the US. That said, I am not the kind of person who judges Canada based on if we are doing better then the US and is complacent if we are, too many Canadians are like that and it makes us rest on our laurels when it comes to problem areas like healthcare reform.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Blimp.

Congratulations on some very perceptive posts.

One of the biggest differences between Canada and the USA is the fact that we don't murder our political leaders. Since Canada became a independent country in 1867, we have had exactly two cases where a Canadian political figure was killed.

One, was Darcy McGee, a Irish-Canadian Member of Parliament, who was shot and killed in front of his Ottawa boarding house, after a late night sitting of the House. A man was convicted of his murder, but it was not clear if the act was a bungled robbery, or homicide. This took place in April of 1868.

The second case was a kidnapping, and the death of a Quebec Provincial Cabinet Minister. Pierre Laport was kidnapped by the FLQ terrorist group, and murdered as a part of a failed attempt to overthrow the Federal Government. That was in October of 1970.

And that's it. We are closing in on our 150th Anniversary of Confederation. Not a bad record, I think.

I won't bother listing the number of US political figures that have been murdered since Lincoln. It is a long one, for sure.

My point is that in Canada, politics are not a blood sport. We reserve that for the ice rink. (grin ).

Jim B.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:58 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Blimp.

Congratulations on some very perceptive posts.

One of the biggest differences between Canada and the USA is the fact that we don't murder our political leaders. Since Canada became a independent country in 1867, we have had exactly two cases where a Canadian political figure was killed.

One, was Darcy McGee, a Irish-Canadian Member of Parliament, who was shot and killed in front of his Ottawa boarding house, after a late night sitting of the House. A man was convicted of his murder, but it was not clear if the act was a bungled robbery, or homicide. This took place in April of 1868.

The second case was a kidnapping, and the death of a Quebec Provincial Cabinet Minister. Pierre Laport was kidnapped by the FLQ terrorist group, and murdered as a part of a failed attempt to overthrow the Federal Government. That was in October of 1970.

And that's it. We are closing in on our 150th Anniversary of Confederation. Not a bad record, I think.

I won't bother listing the number of US political figures that have been murdered since Lincoln. It is a long one, for sure.

My point is that in Canada, politics are not a blood sport. We reserve that for the ice rink. (grin ).

Jim B.
Is the list of US political figures assassinated really THAT long? For a country of its population? (I can name a half dozen off the top of my head, but to the point where it's a "thing"?)

Old 09-17-2015, 07:47 AM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:

I went to Montreal this summer and didn't see one homeless person during the 8 days I was there, and I scowered the city.

And I personally don't get the belief that the USA is so much cheaper.. At least all the desirable places in the USA are just as expensive, if not more, than the major cities in Canada. They are all expensive...
Did you overlook downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Good points. I also forgot:

(1) Canada has no gerrymandered House districts that are a total affront to our democracy.

(2) Canada has no billionaires running their elections (no Citizens United ruling, and no Koch Brothers).
Due to strict spending limits, which is about ~$1.50 per eligible elector for a local campaign and especially because donations are severely limited...

Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:

This is what I came to realize in the past couple of years. If you want an safe, urban and vibrant city with plenty of culture and educated citizens in America, it is not gonna be cheaper either.

I don't want to move 6000 miles to live in Phoenix, Dallas or Atlanta. They are cheap, so is Wal-Mart. Only people who have very low expectation for life with owning a large house as the primary goal of life and symbol of quality of life would think living in one of those cheap American city is a great idea.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:06 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't want to move 6000 miles to live in Phoenix, Dallas or Atlanta. They are cheap, so is Wal-Mart. Only people who have very low expectation for life with owning a large house as the primary goal of life and symbol of quality of life would think living in one of those cheap American city is a great idea.
For someone who travels as much as you do, this post is out of character. With the exception of San Francisco, New York, etc, of which there is no Canadian equivalent anyways, it is significantly cheaper to live in the U.S. and have an equal lifestyle.

The tax rates may be similar, but in the US there are major deductions to be had on the basis of home ownership or State taxation rates. It has been beaten about several times, but as someone who has lived and owned homes in both countries, the US is much easier on my pocket.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:19 AM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
For someone who travels as much as you do, this post is out of character. With the exception of San Francisco, New York, etc, of which there is no Canadian equivalent anyways, it is significantly cheaper to live in the U.S. and have an equal lifestyle.

The tax rates may be similar, but in the US there are major deductions to be had on the basis of home ownership or State taxation rates. It has been beaten about several times, but as someone who has lived and owned homes in both countries, the US is much easier on my pocket.
Minneapolis is still somewhat expensive... then again I am not driving or owning a house.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:

Thank goodness someone finally said this. It makes no sense to compare tax rates, because no one ends up actually paying that rate at the end of the year.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:47 AM

430 posts, read 834,772 times
Quote:
I doubt this. Why? Because you are paying higher payroll taxes in the U.S., and it's not even close. No to mention that you are paying co-payments and premiums for health care in the U.S. The "Social Security" payroll tax is already at a lower rate in Canada, and caps out at C$51,000 ($38,000) whereas the U.S. one, at a higher rate, doesn't cap out until $118,500.

The weight of your additional payroll taxes in the U.S. is far larger than your mortgage deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada