Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:33 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Been to Seattle many times, I live in Vancouver.

Seattle is a 5x better city.
Yet you live in Vancouver?

I've read your countless rants about Canada (hope you feel better lol) and you remind me of a woman I used to work with.. She always complained about how cold it was in the winter (even though we were fine with the HVAC).. Anyway she brought in a portable heater from home and than she started complaining about how hot it was.. So she'd turn it off and complain about the cold, turn it on and complain about the heat.. You know what we did, we threw her heater out one day because we were so sick and tired of her constant complaining and we pitied her for being so powerless, not just about the temperature but about everything, how much she hated her job, how much she hated cooking and her constant equivocating about what she was going to eat for lunch etc etc..

Last edited by fusion2; 09-19-2015 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 01:09 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I remember reading an article about it at one point. I think somebody posted the link on C.D. but now I can't find it. It showed that a large number of people living in Canada "illegally" are from the states. I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed about reading this!

Regardless, I think that number will go up significantly if Donald Trump becomes president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
The article I remember reading was about U.S. citizens sneaking into Canada.
I don't think there are a lot of American citizens living in Canada that are here as illegal immigrants. The majority of American-Canadians have immigrated to Canada through all the proper and lawful channels and are good citizens and assets to Canada.

Contrary to how easy it is for illegals to survive and get by in USA and many other countries it's not easy for illegals from any country to get ahead and have a good quality of life and make a comfortable living and lifestyles for themselves in Canada.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:14 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,010 times
Given that US citizens can enter Canada, with out a visa, for up to six months.......

It is not unusual for young Americans to come up to Canada, as a visitor, and stay here beyond the date when they should leave. Usually, they are couch surfing with friends, working for cash, and have little in the way of physical property. In other words, they are flying under the Immigration radar here.

Where they get tripped up is when they have to interact with a form of authority in Canada. No SIN, no Provincial ID, no Immigration status , no proof of income.....Busted.

Jim B.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Given that US citizens can enter Canada, with out a visa, for up to six months.......

It is not unusual for young Americans to come up to Canada, as a visitor, and stay here beyond the date when they should leave. Usually, they are couch surfing with friends, working for cash, and have little in the way of physical property. In other words, they are flying under the Immigration radar here.

Where they get tripped up is when they have to interact with a form of authority in Canada. No SIN, no Provincial ID, no Immigration status , no proof of income.....Busted.

Jim B.
Usually when they fall off their skateboards and break something.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Americans top the list of illegal foreign workers caught by CBSA - National | Globalnews.ca

Old 09-19-2015, 08:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
That Global link wouldn't open for me (doesn't support my browser) but I found other news websites that were copying or passing on what Global said giving credit to Global. They are all talking about American workers who come into Canada illegally to work but there's no mention there of American citizens and their families who are immigrating illegally into Canada to live permanently.

While I think foreigners from anywhere working in Canada illegally is a bad thing I personally feel those who immigrate illegally to live in Canada permanently is worse and has a worse impact on Canada. So I would be more interested in knowing how many illegally immigrated American citizens are living permanently in Canada with no intention of returning to America and are not just here illegally to work temporarily before going back to their homes.

I had expected the numbers of foreigners working illegally in Canada to be much higher so I was surprised when I read the following numbers quoted below. If the listed numbers of foreign workers caught by CBSA is only half or even only a quarter or an eighth of the true number of illegal workers the total number is still not as much as I had expected it might be.

Americans Top List of Illegal Foreign Workers, CBSA Says - Canadavisa News

Quote:

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) found 54 Americans working without authorization in Canada last year, according to Global News agency. This number makes the US the largest source of illegal foreign labour, at least among individuals who were apprehended.

Following the US, the Philippines recorded the second-highest amount of illegal labourers (36), with Israel, India, Ireland, Mexico, and China following suit.

Foreign nationals from the US, Israel, and Ireland do not need a visa to enter Canada. One immigration researcher speculated that easy entry to Canada may result in individuals unwittingly breaking the terms of their stay in the country.

..... < snip > ......

In terms of foreign labour, the US is the largest contributor of workers in Canada.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:38 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,777 times
Quote:
American do NOT sneak into Canada unless they are fleeing student loans
While it may be possible to hide "under the radar" from loans, I'm not sure why this would be more prevalent for Americans than Canadians, given the average student indebtedness in both countries is about the same ($25,000). Not surprising as public universities in the U.S. are comparable in cost to Canadian universities. Perhaps the U.S. has more highly indebted people, though, given the cost of private universities?

I would guess those 54 people have personal situations that led to them wanting to work in Canada, I'm sure each is unique. I also wonder how many of these 54 were some of the horror stories we sometimes hear about - the person who brought their laptop along to do some work during their vacation, for example?

Aside from personal reasons to be in a particular place, there would be little advantage otherwise since as an undocumented immigrant in Canada they would have no access to benefits, and the U.S. offers plenty of places including cities that are similar in climate/geography to Canadian cities. People will do as they will - stats do suggest there are at least 60,000 Canadians living illegally in the U.S., but I guess my reaction is, "so what?" People will do as they will, and if they are not hurting anyone, it seems its about time we loosen some of these laws - not do away with them, but make them more sensible.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That Global link wouldn't open for me (doesn't support my browser) but I found other news websites that were copying or passing on what Global said giving credit to Global. They are all talking about American workers who come into Canada illegally to work but there's no mention there of American citizens and their families who are immigrating illegally into Canada to live permanently.

While I think foreigners from anywhere working in Canada illegally is a bad thing I personally feel those who immigrate illegally to live in Canada permanently is worse and has a worse impact on Canada. So I would be more interested in knowing how many illegally immigrated American citizens are living permanently in Canada with no intention of returning to America and are not just here illegally to work temporarily before going back to their homes.

I had expected the numbers of foreigners working illegally in Canada to be much higher so I was surprised when I read the following numbers quoted below. If the listed numbers of foreign workers caught by CBSA is only half or even only a quarter or an eighth of the true number of illegal workers the total number is still not as much as I had expected it might be.

Americans Top List of Illegal Foreign Workers, CBSA Says - Canadavisa News

Yes the article is sketchy on details, such as how big of a " sting " they did. How long and how encompassing.
I'm sure whatever it was, it was just the tip of the iceberg.

As for whole families with kids ...my guess is probably not. Most of those illegal Americans in Canada are probably overstaying visas and are younger and single. They aren't going to get very good jobs in Canada being illegal.

All the Americans I know that live here, do so legally and most have taken up Canadian citizenship. Some moved here for love, others for what they perceive to be a better life.

It's not surprising though that Americans are the largest group of illegal workers in Canada, being so close. I'm sure the number of Canadians illegally working in the US isn't too small and probably the same single and younger demographic.
Love to see some hard numbers though.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 742 times
"Unless they are refugees, their failure to live legally in the U.S. doesn't affect their ability to gain legal status in Canada, he said, but perhaps it should."

This was written in one of the articles posted above... Can someone elaborate what this means? For example if I am a "Stateless" person who fled genocide from my parents home country, was born in a refugee camp and then shipped to America (At age 4) lived here for 34 years and am now facing deportation because of something I did 10 years ago. Would I be able to go to Canada and seek asylum from America? I am living in a country that doesnt want me to be with my family and do not want to lose my wife and daughter.... any help would be great. I am unable to get a passport as I am stateless and have no one to be able to request one from....

Thank you.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deported1 View Post
"Unless they are refugees, their failure to live legally in the U.S. doesn't affect their ability to gain legal status in Canada, he said, but perhaps it should."

This was written in one of the articles posted above... Can someone elaborate what this means? For example if I am a "Stateless" person who fled genocide from my parents home country, was born in a refugee camp and then shipped to America (At age 4) lived here for 34 years and am now facing deportation because of something I did 10 years ago. Would I be able to go to Canada and seek asylum from America? I am living in a country that doesnt want me to be with my family and do not want to lose my wife and daughter.... any help would be great. I am unable to get a passport as I am stateless and have no one to be able to request one from....

Thank you.
It refers to their ability to qualify for refugee status from their country of origin while they may have lived illegally in any number of countries in the interim. You don't qualify for that as you lived legally as a refugee in the U.S. before committing some crime that is now resulting in your deportation order. Canada will refuse you based upon that crime committed in the U.S.

In a word..........NO.

Being shipped to America at age 4 should have garnered you some official status in America. You did not elaborate on "now facing deportation because of something I did 10 years ago".

You're not stateless, you're being deported from the sate you committed a crime in that had accepted you as a refugee child back to the state you left as a four year old that might no longer be in a "state" of ongoing genocide. You're very likely going back from whence you came unless genocide is proven to be still ongoing.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada