U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 PM

632 posts, read 684,964 times

Advertisements

I remember reading an article about it at one point. I think somebody posted the link on C.D. but now I can't find it. It showed that a large number of people living in Canada "illegally" are from the states. I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed about reading this!

Regardless, I think that number will go up significantly if Donald Trump becomes president.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 05:59 PM

5,879 posts, read 2,384,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I remember reading an article about it at one point. I think somebody posted the link on C.D. but now I can't find it. It showed that a large number of people living in Canada "illegally" are from the states. I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed about reading this!

Regardless, I think that number will go up significantly if Donald Trump becomes president.
Here's an article from 2010 ( not so new information)

Illegal aliens entering Canada from U.S: Wikileaks | CTV News
Quote:
VANCOUVER - American politicians have long believed that Canada is a gateway for illegal immigrants wanting to get into their country, but an internal U.S. consular memo suggests the gate may be swinging the other way.
A cable released recently by online whistleblower Wikileaks says immigrants are living illegally for several years in the U.S. first, and then crossing into Canada and trying to fraudulently gain legal status in Vancouver.
U.S. consul in Vancouver Phillip Chicola wrote to the White House that immigrants show up in Canada with new passports and different names to cover up previous orders of removal or unlawful presence in America.
"There continues to be incidences where applicants try to cover up prior orders of removal or unlawful presence in the U.S.," Chicola wrote in the Feb. 23, 2010 cable. "Usually, these applicants have only recently arrived in Canada to seek legal status after residing unlawfully in the U.S. for years."
But I found this link too..It's NOT always beneficial when caught defrauding documents~~
http://www.immigroup.com/news/enteri...s-consequences

Quote:
Yesterday, two Mexican citizens, Pablo Daniel Gonzalez and Miguel Aguilar Gonzalez, were sentenced to two years for entering Canada illegally. The men had entered Canada along the BC-Washington border near the city of Abottsford, in December 2012. The men have been charged with violating Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). A third man, a resident of Canada, was charged with aiding and abetting their violation of this act but he will not face trial until March. The sentencing reminds us all that there are strict penalties for trying to get around Canada's immigration laws. The best thing to do is always to follow all laws and any instructions by CIC or CBSA personnel. These men could have avoided two year prison sentences by coming to Canada in a legal way. The ways you can come to Canada legally include: - See more at: http://www.immigroup.com/news/enteri....EB8buoQ4.dpuf

Old 09-18-2015, 06:18 PM

632 posts, read 684,964 times
The article I remember reading was about U.S. citizens sneaking into Canada.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,051,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
The article I remember reading was about U.S. citizens sneaking into Canada.
If you do a web search a few interesting links pop up. But stats are harder to come by. The fact that these would be illegal visitors would make it very difficult to get an accurate head count for example, I would imagine.

I'm a lifelong Canadian, and yet I'm pretty sure I've never personally met one, if anecdotal accounts are of any use to you, as evidence of how rare this phenomena would be? Lol.....

Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 PM

58 posts, read 117,470 times
Why would americans sneak into Canada?

That would lead to a dramatic decline in their quality of living.

If anything, I'm pretty sure more Canadians flee into the US then vice versa.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 PM

5,879 posts, read 2,384,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

American do NOT sneak into Canada unless they are fleeing some murder charge..as has happened in the past to get out from a Death Penalty case..BUT my post above give the actual facts..It's illegals who come up here seeking asylum..or just meld into society..BUT none of them have any perks from Government..and some even get caught displaying forged documents..BAM..off to prison..then deported..Not worth it..

Point is, American's who try to claim Illegals come to you thru Canadian borders..while Stats actually show it's opposite to such rhetorics.. Maybe reasearch ..but since not bothering to read links provided..I get there's no need to have your mis-informed mind to get educated ) We have even reported to Homeland security when a suspicious foreigner tries to get down there....But it never gets covered..among the many foiled in country attempts by extremists...

There is so much we don't even realize what's actually going on until disaster happens..and THAT one gets circulated..completely disagreeing the many dozen's that get thwarted....So hey...whatever make's you comfy..Blame us Canadians'' We are use to much of such blame games...It's actually become almost laughable..because we are NOT Militant nor confrontational so pre-judged as "Stupid" or worse...Ignorant...

It's nothing further than the truth BTW!..But IF it makes you feel better to blame your northern border ( friendly nation) for all your ills..Go for it!!

Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 PM

678 posts, read 664,108 times
Quote:

Yawn

Old 09-18-2015, 09:11 PM

58 posts, read 117,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
Yawn
Says the Guy from Seattle which has an extremely high standard of living compared with most of the US, let alone anywhere in Canada.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:17 PM

678 posts, read 664,108 times
Quote:
Says the Guy from Seattle which has an extremely high standard of living compared with most of the US, let alone anywhere in Canada.
Yes, anyone who is from Seattle is automatically a big boss driving a 100k Benz and taking island vacations every month.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,167,241 times
Quote:
I'll just let you google which cities in North America top the Mercer quality of living index.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada