U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,751,138 times

Advertisements

How is London like Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
How is London like Detroit?
Heavy-industry town; for a time General Motors locomotive-manufacturing subsidiary (Electro-Motive Division) closed its original plant in the Chicago suburb of LaGrange and manufactured exclusively in London.

Many years ago, a minor-league baseball team based in London was known as the Pontiacs (a high-school classmate of mine pitched for them one summer). But I'm not sure whether London ever hosted an assembly line. (Tecumseh was an ally of the Pontiacs, but not a member of that tribe, IIRC.)

Windsor could then be paired with St. Louis as a Western Gateway (albeit an international one; until the Canadian Pacific Railway was completed, most Canadian transcontinental freight moved via the U. S.)

And a couple of side points. I think Toronto would be better-described as Canada's Chicago -- due to both the economic diversity and central (at least with regard to population) location. Montreal deserves to be linked with New York due to its cosmopolitan character.

Canada deserves its own Dallas -- in Alberta due to both the oil and cattle baronies; but I'm not sure whether Calgary or Edmonton would be a better fit (Regrettably, I haven't visited either -- yet.)

Victoria can be paired with San Francisco and/or Seattle due to its island location and status as the "second city" in a province with a strong entertainment presence.

But if Halifax pairs with Boston and Ottawa with Washington, who pairs with Quebec City?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-20-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM

6,954 posts, read 9,049,221 times
Quote:
And yet you don't say "Montreal is nothing like Chicago." Why's that?
more like Chicago is nothing like Montreal.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Heavy-industry town; for a time General Motors locomotive-manufacturing subsidiary (Electro-Motive Division) closed its original plant in the Chicago suburb of LaGrange and manufactured exclusively in London.

Many years ago, a minor-league baseball team based in London was known as the Pontiacs (a high-school classmate of mine pitched for them one summer). But I'm not sure whether London ever hosted an assembly line.
London was ever been as based on heavy industry in the way Hamilton and Windsor are and is much less Catholic/ethnic. It has more of a white collar bent (though it does have some industries as well, but it's never "defined" the place), it grew a little later and feels quite suburban not very far from the core. That's why I went with Columbus.

Quote:
And a couple of side points. I think Toronto would be better-described as Canada's Chicago -- due to both the economic diversity and central (at least with regard to population) location. Montreal deserves to be linked with New York due to its cosmopolitan character.
I do think there are some similarities between Chicago and Toronto (the two Great Lakes metropolises - similar sized downtowns, to some extent economy). And like New York, it is a "city of immigrants" in the way Chicago is not. But there's no Canadian "NYC" - and both Toronto and Montreal serve the function in some ways. So I picked boroughs that they resemble most.

I compared Toronto and Queens for the following reasons. Queens with its significant European/Asian/Caribbean presence - and where no group really dominates - looks more like Toronto demographically than anywhere in the US. They developed largely around the same time. Also fairly similar in terms of urban form and housing stock.

Montreal I compared with Brooklyn because they're both defined by low rise density and a lot of ethnic groups are found in Montreal and Brooklyn - Hasidic Jews, Haitians, Arabs etc. I also added Boston because they're both about the same "tier" of cities and have especially large student populations studying at several universities.

Quote:
Canada deserves its own Dallas -- in Alberta due to both the oil and cattle baronies; but I'm not sure whether Calgary or Edmonton would be a better fit (Regrettably, I haven't visited either -- yet.)
I guess Calgary is a bit like Houston with the oil industry offices. But the Alberta/Texas comparison is often overblown, and it ultimately looks and feels more like Denver than anywhere else.

Quote:
Victoria can be paired with San Francisco and/or Seattle due to its island location and status as the "second city" in a province with a strong entertainment presence.

But if Halifax pairs with Boston and Ottawa with Washington, who pairs with Quebec City?
Victoria is really quite small so it's hard to compare to San Francisco or Seattle.

Quebec City is really hard to compare to anything in the US. Can't think of any US city of 500,000 that's 98% francophone!

Old 09-20-2015, 06:40 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
Good ones!

And also, Halifax as Boston.
There are some similarities but Boston is so much bigger than Halifax. I would say Portland Maine would be a better match, parts of those cities look a lot a like.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:32 PM

741 posts, read 2,545,050 times
A sort of match on just the big 4 isn't so much fair.. since the US cities are often much bigger in population and area size... buhhtt

in my 2 cents... If we are talking about the 4 big cities in Canada of Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Montreal I would say comparably in look feel .. sort of flipside demos...

Vancouver - Seattle
Toronto - NYC - yeah NYC is it's own animal nothing is going to be like that
Calgary - Houston except Calgary isn't as spread out or a giant large behemoth, I'd possibly go with San Antonio, possibly Dallas, but Houston is an oil town folks..
Montreal - this is a tricky one since culturally it's so different, but I would go with Boston in look and feel

Winnipeg. It isn't knicknamed Chicago of the North for nothing folks.. however it's much smaller. Minneapolis is also a better contrast I think for a sister city, or Oklahoma City but that's far to South.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:37 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,612,938 times
Toronto - Chicago (definitely not NYC in any shape or form) even the skylines look somewhat similar.
Montreal - Brooklyn. Language issue aside, the cities are very similar in feel and aesthetically look similar with heavy low-rise density, high volumes of foot traffic throughout, and older architecture.
Vancouver - Seattle, maybe?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Toronto - Chicago (definitely not NYC in any shape or form) even the skylines look somewhat similar.
Toronto resembles Queens as much, if not more, as it does Chicago.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,612,938 times
Quote:
Toronto resembles Queens as much, if not more, as it does Chicago.
I agree. Queens only, though, and parts of it. I've never felt Ozone Park to feel similar to any particular neighborhood of Toronto. The rest of NYC shares no resemblance whatsoever to Toronto. My opinion, of course.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 PM

800 posts, read 507,883 times
Toronto is only like nyc in terms of biggest financial hub in its country. New yorkers and Torontonians are very different in terms of personalities infrastructure and culture. Imo. Tor onto is a Canadian nyc. By no means is it anything like nyc though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or