U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2015, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Vancouver BC
58 posts, read 117,209 times
Reputation: 123

Advertisements

Before I get hated on for this post, please let me explain my frustrations with the American buffer state.

What exactly is good about Canada?

* our healthcare is horrid.
* Our welfare state is the worst funded in the developed world.
* we have high levels of poverty
* Our senior safety net is the worst in the developed world
* we are the only country in the g7 without a national housing strategy, national transportation strategy, national poverty strategy, or a national medical strategy (Canada health act is almost never enforced)
* We have the absolute worst climate in the developed world (heck even northern europe has milder winters than all of Canada aside from the BC Coast)
* our cities have horrid infrastructure and extremely high cost of living
* our population is extremely unproductive and thusly we have no real innovative companies left
* did I mentioned european level taxation with american level services?


Everything about Canada screams "worst in the west". I can't think of a single thing this country has going for it. Even the architecture in our cities is the most bland in the developed world.

If you can find me a developed country that is not the US that performs worse than Canada on all of these measures, I'd be surprised. As it stands now, I'd probably be happier in Thailand or Mexico.

 
Old 09-18-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 676,254 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
If you can find me a developed country that is not the US that performs worse than Canada
You are already admitting it is not as bad as the US, so it's not tenable that Canada is the worst country in the developed world even for you.

And many of those measures are worse in Europe. Take cost of living, for example. Much worse in London than in Toronto. Like twice as bad. And there are other cities people like in Canada, like Vancouver and Calgary and Montreal. I can't think of any "second cities" beyond London that too many people aspire to live in that is in the United Kingdom. So it's really all they've got, and the cost of living is way worse than anywhere in Canada.

I personally think Canada and Australia are the best countries in the world, but they both suffer (along with the UK) from the same thing right now: housing that is very expensive by historical measures.
 
Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Vancouver BC
58 posts, read 117,209 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
You are already admitting it is not as bad as the US, so it's not tenable that Canada is the worst country in the developed world even for you.

And many of those measures are worse in Europe. Take cost of living, for example. Much worse in London than in Toronto. Like twice as bad. And there are other cities people like in Canada, like Vancouver and Calgary and Montreal. I can't think of any "second cities" beyond London that too many people aspire to live in that is in the United Kingdom. So it's really all they've got, and the cost of living is way worse than anywhere in Canada.

I personally think Canada and Australia are the best countries in the world, but they both suffer (along with the UK) from the same thing right now: housing that is very expensive by historical measures.
By no means did I imply the US is worse than Canada. Canada and the US are the most garbage countries in the western world. I can't compare them as is because they are relatively equally crap.

However some states are better then some Canadian provinces and vice versa.
 
Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Seattle-WA-USA
678 posts, read 662,827 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post
Before I get hated on for this post, please let me explain my frustrations with the American buffer state.

What exactly is good about Canada?

* our healthcare is horrid.
* Our welfare state is the worst funded in the developed world.
* we have high levels of poverty
* Our senior safety net is the worst in the developed world
* we are the only country in the g7 without a national housing strategy, national transportation strategy, national poverty strategy, or a national medical strategy (Canada health act is almost never enforced)
* We have the absolute worst climate in the developed world (heck even northern europe has milder winters than all of Canada aside from the BC Coast)
* our cities have horrid infrastructure and extremely high cost of living
* our population is extremely unproductive and thusly we have no real innovative companies left
* did I mentioned european level taxation with american level services?


Everything about Canada screams "worst in the west". I can't think of a single thing this country has going for it. Even the architecture in our cities is the most bland in the developed world.

If you can find me a developed country that is not the US that performs worse than Canada on all of these measures, I'd be surprised. As it stands now, I'd probably be happier in Thailand or Mexico.
K move to Thailand or Mexico and let us know how it goes
 
Old 09-19-2015, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Montreal
579 posts, read 467,755 times
Reputation: 256
Healthcare isn't completely horrid, just with long waiting times. But when you do have care, quality isn't an item I would complain about.

Quote:
our cities have horrid infrastructure
The primary thing I would harp on Canada is precisely that item. But the one thing that caused me to leave Canada, at least temporarily, is subject to change, that is, civilian science policy, which is outright deleterious.

As for taxation, whether US taxation is better or worse depends on not only how much you earn but on a whole host of factors that I'm not going to get into. Yet, for the policy issues with direct day-to-day impact, I would say that Canada is rather decentralized in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
You are already admitting it is not as bad as the US, so it's not tenable that Canada is the worst country in the developed world even for you.

And many of those measures are worse in Europe. Take cost of living, for example. Much worse in London than in Toronto. Like twice as bad. And there are other cities people like in Canada, like Vancouver and Calgary and Montreal. I can't think of any "second cities" beyond London that too many people aspire to live in that is in the United Kingdom. So it's really all they've got, and the cost of living is way worse than anywhere in Canada.

I personally think Canada and Australia are the best countries in the world, but they both suffer (along with the UK) from the same thing right now: housing that is very expensive by historical measures.
UK may not have any desirable "second cities" but Germany does: Munich, Frankfurt (unless Frankfurt is the primary city where Germany-bound people want to go, in which case Berlin is a "second city" by German standards) and, to a lesser extent, Düsseldorf...
 
Old 09-19-2015, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,318,334 times
Reputation: 5622
Sounds like the incessant whining of the Millennial Generation.
 
Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,211 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Reputation: 14122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

..... As it stands now, I'd probably be happier in Thailand or Mexico.
Well, you have 2 options then.

First of all, what are YOU doing about it? As it stands now, if you're so miserable with Canada you could be / should be doing something proactive about it to change things for the better instead of complaining on a forum. So why aren't you doing that ??? Don't sit at a computer and whine about it while expecting other people to do all the dirty work for you. Get away from the keyboard and go do something positive and dedicated to make things better for Canadian society.

or

You could get out if you think you'll be happier somewhere else. Go to Thailand or Mexico. There you'll grow up rough and fast in the real School of Hard Knocks. Let us know how that experience works out for you, eh!

.
 
Old 09-19-2015, 12:58 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, you have 2 options then.

First of all, what are YOU doing about it? As it stands now, if you're so miserable with Canada you could be / should be doing something proactive about it to change things for the better instead of complaining on a forum. So why aren't you doing that ??? Don't sit at a computer and whine about it while expecting other people to do all the dirty work for you. Get away from the keyboard and go do something positive and dedicated to make things better for Canadian society.

or

You could get out if you think you'll be happier somewhere else. Go to Thailand or Mexico. There you'll grow up rough and fast in the real School of Hard Knocks. Let us know how that experience works out for you, eh!

.
In red Zoisite - this is what is required.
 
Old 09-19-2015, 01:29 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,211 posts, read 6,567,148 times
Reputation: 14122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In red Zoisite - this is what is required.
Well yeah, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone who's read all of his posts that this is just a young, unhappy, inexperienced, immature, spoiled bratty person who has a lot of growing up to do. I don't sympathize with him and don't feel like encouraging people like him by trying to explain Canada's good points. It would be better for Canada if he and other spoiled Canadian brats like him were to leave Canada and go learn a few things about life in the rest of the world. If he leaves Canada he'll find that nobody else in other countries sympathizes with him either and for every one bratty person like him in Canada, in other countries there are ten times more deserving and more mature people who would be grateful and give there souls for the privilege of coming to Canada and they would be damned good assets to Canada.

.
 
Old 09-19-2015, 01:33 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Reputation: 9029
It's okay, its normal to have frustrations with your home. You still live in the developed world which means you are still pretty wealthy compared to the majority of humans, even if you are considered poor in Canada. that is something to be grateful for.

If Canada is horrible, what is your favorite country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top