U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:28 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,543,509 times

Advertisements

That is a good article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is actually the first commentary I have seen from a woman (even a Muslim woman) who isn't veiled herself, and that is critical of banning the niqab.

BTW this writer has been a fairly passionate defender of Omar Khadr. I guess how you will view that will depend on how you feel about the guy.
Are you saying that you haven't seen articles by non-niqab wearing women who are against Harper being against the niqib, or are you saying the articles you have seen in favour of letting women decide whether they want to wear the niqab are all covered themselves? I've seen quite a few of both. And as far as editorials are concerned, even the Winnipeg Free Press was against the "us" and "them" stunt Harper is trying to pull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 11:36 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,543,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Khadr was a kid. His parents are sacks of ****. CPS should have intervened, that's the biggest case of child endangerment I've ever seen.

Like seriously, leave your kid alone at home for too long you can get charged, these parents ended up causing one kid to be paralyzed and one sent to Gitmo.

Cowards to force their kids into it.
Agree about Khadar. He was a child. We don't sentence kids as we do adults and it is shameful what the Harper government did. And it is shameful how he is trying to make two classes of Canadian citizens. It's like adopting a child and then when the kid gets into trouble, disowning him as not of your own biological material. There are good Canadians and bad Canadians and if they are bad Canadians, they should certainly be punished in accordance with our laws but that doesn't make them less Canadians.

I don't agree that the parents were cowards. They were certainly misguided but I think in their own minds they were behaving with what they thought was right. That doesn't make them any less wrong of course. I just disagree that it makes them cowards.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 27,377,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That is a good article.

Are you saying that you haven't seen articles by non-niqab wearing women who are against Harper being against the niqib, or are you saying the articles you have seen in favour of letting women decide whether they want to wear the niqab are all covered themselves? I've seen quite a few of both. And as far as editorials are concerned, even the Winnipeg Free Press was against the "us" and "them" stunt Harper is trying to pull.
I guess I wasn't completely clear. All of the Muslim women (non-veiled, even some hijab wearers) I've heard on this tend to say the niqab sucks. Most of the female commentators who speak out in favour tend to be Christian or post-Christian women who have no stake or experience in this.

I agree about the Harper stunt BTW, and I too am angry about it. It won't change the way I vote and it won't be for him.

But that doesn't mean I am going to throw all of the anti-niqab feminists and their valid cause under the bus and start being pro-niqab just because I am angry at Harper.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 AM

2,564 posts, read 2,183,378 times
I was listening to CBC Radio One yesterday, and one political commentator brought up a really interesting point about how political parties in this election (esp. the Conservatives) are using online social media content and online behavior to specifically identify who is devout supporter and who isn't. By doing so, they focused their entire campaign on targeting their solid supporters while completely ignoring - and in the Niqab issue - going so far as to actively antagonize and alienate those who would not vote for them. The conservatives (and other parties) can now definitively identify their exact voter base, while not feeling any electoral consequences if they were to antagonize every other voter group.

I suppose this is an *interesting* evolution in elections technology and strategy, but it is also somewhat sad and lamenting because a party can form government of an entire country by actively ignoring and antagonizing a large portion of the nation's voters.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 10-08-2015 at 07:33 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I was listening to CBC Radio One yesterday, and one political commentator brought up a really interesting point about how political parties in this election (esp. the Conservatives) are using online social media content and online behavior to specifically identify who is devout supporter and who isn't. By doing so, they focused their entire campaign on targeting their solid supporters while completely ignoring - and in the Niqab issue - going so far as to actively antagonize and alienate those who would not vote for them. The conservatives (and other parties) can now definitely identify their exact voter base, while not feeling any electoral consequences if they were to antagonize every other voter group.

I suppose this is an *interesting* evolution in elections technology and strategy, but it is also somewhat sad and lamenting because a party can form government of an entire country by actively ignoring and antagonizing a large portion of the nation's voters.
That would have been interesting to listen to.

Given the current trends, I am not really sure if democracy has a bright future ahead of it!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I was listening to CBC Radio One yesterday, and one political commentator brought up a really interesting point about how political parties in this election (esp. the Conservatives) are using online social media content and online behavior to specifically identify who is devout supporter and who isn't. By doing so, they focused their entire campaign on targeting their solid supporters while completely ignoring - and in the Niqab issue - going so far as to actively antagonize and alienate those who would not vote for them. The conservatives (and other parties) can now definitively identify their exact voter base, while not feeling any electoral consequences if they were to antagonize every other voter group.

Just to follow up on my previous post - this is the guy that the Conservatives brought in around early September - a somewhat controversial Australian political strategist named Lynton Crosby who is famous for using online big data analytics to "fine-tune" and target specific sets of voters. He helped David Cameron's Conservatives win the last UK election, and is famous for using "wedge issues" to split and divert public opinion away from the usual policy debates (economy, government accountability, health care, etc.) to "value debates" (foreign immigrants, race relations, family values, etc.).

Definitely a useful guy to have on one's campaign team, and can be rather interesting to watch how all this unfolds if one temporarily bends and shelves one's moral judgments.

Controversial Australian strategist to help with Tories' campaign - The Globe and Mail

Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Just to follow up on my previous post - this is the guy that the Conservatives brought in around early September - a somewhat controversial Australian political strategist named Lynton Crosby who is famous for using online big data analytics to "fine-tune" and target specific sets of voters. He helped David Cameron's Conservatives win the last UK election, and is famous for using "wedge issues" to split and divert public opinion away from the usual policy debates (economy, government accountability, health care, etc.) to "value debates" (foreign immigrants, race relations, family values, etc.).

Definitely a useful guy to have on one's campaign team, and can be rather interesting to watch how all this unfolds if one temporarily bends and shelves one's moral judgments.

Controversial Australian strategist to help with Tories' campaign - The Globe and Mail
Yes, he of the legendary "dead cat" thrown on the table...

Old 10-08-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, he of the legendary "dead cat" thrown on the table...
He's also known as the "Wizard of OZ"

Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
You guys are being overly dramatic here. How does banning niqab in public service equal treating Muslim as second class citizens?

A lot of other things are banned in public service. For example, I can't come to work nude, or in my speedos. I am not sure what the boss will say if my Japanese colleague wear her kimono to work either.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You guys are being overly dramatic here. How does banning niqab in public service equal treating Muslim as second class citizens?

A lot of other things are banned in public service. For example, I can't come to work nude, or in my speedos. I am not sure what the boss will say if my Japanese colleague wear her kimono to work either.
Work places can have their own dress codes. Not a problem. But why does the prime minister of an entire country have to dictate into legislation what people can and cannot wear? And how is this even a relevant election issue?

It was the Conservative campaign manager who said that the niqab issue is something that "challenges our core Canadian values" - talk about being dramatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or