U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:29 AM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Work places can have their own dress codes. Not a problem. But why does the prime minister of an entire country have to dictate into legislation what people can and cannot wear? .
Well, the Government of Canada (headed up by the prime minister) does have a right to dictate a dress code for the stuff it has authority over: including citzenship ceremonies, the courts, the public service, etc.

I am not supporting Harper but he is not suggesting that people should be restricted in how they dress in other spheres of their lives.

There already is a dress code for citizenship ceremonies. The only question is if a face veil for Muslim women is the right and reasonable choice to make as an "exception" to that dress code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, the Government of Canada (headed up by the prime minister) does have a right to dictate a dress code for the stuff it has authority over: including citzenship ceremonies, the courts, the public service, etc.

I am not supporting Harper but he is not suggesting that people should be restricted in how they dress in other spheres of their lives.

There already is a dress code for citizenship ceremonies. The only question is if a face veil for Muslim women is the right and reasonable choice to make as an "exception" to that dress code.
Exactly. Of course the PM can say what the wear for work or occasions like citizenship ceremony.
Can I be dressed like this

Old 10-08-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Exactly. Of course the PM can say what the wear for work or occasions like citizenship ceremony.
Well, maybe you can. Very cute BTW!

Or you can't.

But it's still a legitimate debate that a society can have. It's not an automatic free for all. And it shouldn't be.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,185,860 times
Quote:

My only question is: why on earth is this a relevant election issue, and how is this even relevant to the rest of the 99.99999% Canadians who couldn't give a rat's a** about this. It's really quite petty, almost bordering comical, how the PM of a country like Canada and his party are so riled up about women's face coverings while they have given zero details about the terms of the TPP which could potentially affect the economic well-being of every Canadian in decades to come.

It's the same old "David Cameron had sex with a pig" distraction tactic all over again.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:12 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,547,132 times
Quote:
I guess I wasn't completely clear. All of the Muslim women (non-veiled, even some hijab wearers) I've heard on this tend to say the niqab sucks. Most of the female commentators who speak out in favour tend to be Christian or post-Christian women who have no stake or experience in this.

I agree about the Harper stunt BTW, and I too am angry about it. It won't change the way I vote and it won't be for him.

But that doesn't mean I am going to throw all of the anti-niqab feminists and their valid cause under the bus and start being pro-niqab just because I am angry at Harper.
What has surprised me is that the activist type of feminists have come out in support of women wearing whatever they want to wear. People like Karen Busby here in Manitoba, for example.

I wasn't suggesting that you start being pro-niqab because you aren't pro-Harper.

in case I have given the wrong impression, I do not believe that everyone on the opposite side of myself on this issue is a racist, which is not to say that some aren't but my posts aren't addressed to them, since that would be like hitting my head on a brick wall and complaining that it hurts.

I might have some more to say wrt some of the other things in this thread later.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What has surprised me is that the activist type of feminists have come out in support of women wearing whatever they want to wear. People like Karen Busby here in Manitoba, for example.

That's interesting. I have not noticed that but admittedly I am more plugged into Quebec than the rest of the country, but have been paying attention to the cross-Canada discourse. In Quebec it's virtually unanimous. Maybe we truly are... différent.

As for Karen Busby, is she a feminist activist or a legal expert? If she is primarily involved in law (even human rights law), it would stand to reason that she'd likely come down on the side of letting people wear the burqa.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:03 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,547,132 times
Quote:
Quote:
That's interesting. I have not noticed that but admittedly I am more plugged into Quebec than the rest of the country, but have been paying attention to the cross-Canada discourse. In Quebec it's virtually unanimous. Maybe we truly are... différent.

As for Karen Busby, is she a feminist activist or a legal expert? If she is primarily involved in law (even human rights law), it would stand to reason that she'd likely come down on the side of letting people wear the burqa.
I have been under the impression that she is an activist feminist, in addition to being a lawyer and into human rights in general. I will try to look into it further later and post some links. There was an interesting article in the Edmonton Journal, but I don't have the link handy as I have no clue how to post links on my iPad. I don't think I've come across one article or editorial that supports Harper in the niqab debate. Admittedly, my posts here notwithstanding, I haven't been following it much since I never expected the courts to rule in Harper's favour on this issue.

BTW, I always wonder where those posters who have come in the past to the Canada forum to ask why Canadians don't talk about politics are in these threads.

Anyway, I am going for a nice horseback ride before diving back into the getting-ready-for-winter work that goes on on a farm.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:05 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,778,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I'd say yes, after you've done all the paperwork and have been identified. You can get Fusion2 to do your make-up.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:31 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,493,977 times
It looks like some missed the headline earlier this week.

"Last year a federal court judge upheld her challenge of the niqab ban's legality. The Conservative government appealed that decision, but the court sided with Zunera Ishaq once more last month.

And this week, she won another victory when the Federal Court of Appeal dismissed a government request to suspend that ruling, pending a further appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Which means that, for now, Zunera Ishaq is free and clear to wear the niqab while taking her oath... and, if that happens in time, then she can vote come election day later this month."

Why Zunera Ishaq fought for her niqab - and became an election issue - Home | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio

Old 10-08-2015, 01:33 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,493,977 times
But, it looks like Harper isn't done with the issue:

"A Conservative government would look at banning public servants from wearing the niqab, Stephen Harper told the CBC on Tuesday.

“That’s a matter we are going to examine,” Harper said in an interview with Power and Politics host Rosemary Barton.

“Quebec, as you know, has legislation on this and we are looking at that legislation.”

Harper would consider niqab ban for public servants - The Globe and Mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or