U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 PM

225 posts, read 147,613 times

Advertisements

I don't get why the niqab in the public service is an issue. I mean, nobody working in the public service currently wears one. He's making an issue of a non-issue.

And I wouldn't see an issue if someone did... not unless it was a workplace where there was heavy machinery it could get caught in or otherwise present a safety issue. If she's in an office shuffling papers, not really a problem.

I think it was in Quebec where a Muslim woman wanted to wear a hijab to a job as a prison guard... I thought the workplace was in their right to say "no" there... that would be something a prisoner could grab onto, pull it over her eyes and beat her, or choke her with it. And I remember in the US somewhere, a woman wanted to wear a niqab driving. Again, no, it screws up your field of vision.

But this election has been about weed and niqabs. Which is ridiculous because we have more serious issues. The economy, 1200 missing and murdered aboriginal women, income inequality, a refugee crisis, a war... etc.

Although my position is you should be able to smoke weed and wear the niqab... though I wouldn't recommend doing both at the same time, the niqab might catch on fire.

I am neither pro or anti-niqab. People see it as black and white. I don't like the niqab that much when I first see it, but I realize it's a knee-jerk reaction. It's not to really my business if someone wears one and certainly not the government's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Exactly. Of course the PM can say what the wear for work or occasions like citizenship ceremony.
Can I be dressed like this
Thanks for the Halloween ideas lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'd say yes, after you've done all the paperwork and have been identified. You can get Fusion2 to do your make-up.
I'd screw up the makeup thing BIG time Nat but my partner would do a PHENOMENAL job.. He's designed dresses for Ms Canada Universe and is talented doing make up.. If Botti has a desire to dress up and since its his idea i'll get my partner to help him out though i'm seriously thinking about this for myself at the Halloween street party on Church street coming up :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Work places can have their own dress codes. Not a problem. But why does the prime minister of an entire country have to dictate into legislation what people can and cannot wear? And how is this even a relevant election issue?

It was the Conservative campaign manager who said that the niqab issue is something that "challenges our core Canadian values" - talk about being dramatic.
Good points.... This whole challenges our core Canadian values nonsense is driving me over the edge! If there is a logical and practical argument fine but 'core Canadian values' - WHATEVERRRR!

Last edited by fusion2; 10-08-2015 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-08-2015, 09:32 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
I don't get why the niqab in the public service is an issue. I mean, nobody working in the public service currently wears one. He's making an issue of a non-issue.

And I wouldn't see an issue if someone did... not unless it was a workplace where there was heavy machinery it could get caught in or otherwise present a safety issue. If she's in an office shuffling papers, not really a problem.

I think it was in Quebec where a Muslim woman wanted to wear a hijab to a job as a prison guard... I thought the workplace was in their right to say "no" there... that would be something a prisoner could grab onto, pull it over her eyes and beat her, or choke her with it. And I remember in the US somewhere, a woman wanted to wear a niqab driving. Again, no, it screws up your field of vision.

But this election has been about weed and niqabs. Which is ridiculous because we have more serious issues. The economy, 1200 missing and murdered aboriginal women, income inequality, a refugee crisis, a war... etc.

Although my position is you should be able to smoke weed and wear the niqab... though I wouldn't recommend doing both at the same time, the niqab might catch on fire.

I am neither pro or anti-niqab. People see it as black and white. I don't like the niqab that much when I first see it, but I realize it's a knee-jerk reaction. It's not to really my business if someone wears one and certainly not the government's.
I think I really, really like you, lol.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 AM

225 posts, read 147,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think I really, really like you, lol.
LOL. Just saying it how I see it. It's not the government's place to legislate stuff that doesn't hurt anybody. The niqab issue is all about feelings, and **** your feelings! I'm not a fan of the niqab either, really, though it only hurts my feelings, it doesn't hurt me or anyone else.

Like I said, unless it presents, a safety issue, then, someone should be free to wear it. A workplace where there is heavy machinery, open flame, or prisoners who could make anything into a weapon would be within reason to not allow the niqab, for example... then if someone wants to wear a niqab then they shouldn't apply for that job.

If she wears it, and it's her choice, her choice should be respected. In cases of husbands making their wives wear it, that's a whole different issue of course. Not just Muslims do that, there was a guy from where I grew up who made every girl he dated wear baggy clothes and hoodies in the middle of summer because he didn't want other guys looking at her.

We can't assume every woman who wears a niqab is being forced to wear it. Many do by choice, especially in Canada, as many predominantly Muslim countries have banned it as well, for the exact same knee-jerk reasons that Harper is proposing.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
LOL. Just saying it how I see it. It's not the government's place to legislate stuff that doesn't hurt anybody. The niqab issue is all about feelings, and **** your feelings! I'm not a fan of the niqab either, really, though it only hurts my feelings, it doesn't hurt me or anyone else.

Like I said, unless it presents, a safety issue, then, someone should be free to wear it. A workplace where there is heavy machinery, open flame, or prisoners who could make anything into a weapon would be within reason to not allow the niqab, for example... then if someone wants to wear a niqab then they shouldn't apply for that job.

If she wears it, and it's her choice, her choice should be respected. In cases of husbands making their wives wear it, that's a whole different issue of course. Not just Muslims do that, there was a guy from where I grew up who made every girl he dated wear baggy clothes and hoodies in the middle of summer because he didn't want other guys looking at her.

We can't assume every woman who wears a niqab is being forced to wear it. Many do by choice, especially in Canada, as many predominantly Muslim countries have banned it as well, for the exact same knee-jerk reasons that Harper is proposing.
I largely agree except for certain official circumstances where there is a form of dress code and other forms of attire are not permitted either.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,487,494 times
Do we envy the 14 year old girl who is told to put on the niqab during her first period?

No more white ...

Old 10-10-2015, 12:23 AM

Imagine the 14 year old who has concealed her period successfully and is going to be exposed, and the 14 year old who will now where appropriate clothing.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:18 PM

3,019 posts, read 2,696,516 times
Mulcair is also against the niqab...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQ9ad4H7nE

Old 10-10-2015, 01:45 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Mulcair is also against the niqab...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQ9ad4H7nE
I think most Canadians are, but it's how we approach the issue.

I agree with the sentiment that forcing a women NOT to wear something, is just the same as forcing her to wear something.

If we ban it all together, what will these women do? Never leave the house? It's best for them to be out and about and engaged as much as possible.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:10 AM

"Voters have been turning up at advance polling stations in Quebec and Newfoundland over the past two days, ready to cast ballots while clad in outrageous costumes and masks.

Under Elections Canada rules, electors are allowed to vote while wearing a face covering as long as they take an oath attesting they are eligible and provide two pieces of ID, one which includes a current address.

... One man dressed up as a ghost ... A woman showed up at a polling station ... wearing a potato sack on her head."

Mummers, potato sacks and clown masks: Why people are voting in silly face coverings - Politics - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or