U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Thank you for looking into that! I have to wonder why the court that is making the decision is not looking into practices in countries where Islam is the majority religion. If what is requested is not done in those countries, why is Canada thinking that it should be done in Canada on the basis of "religious" beliefs?

What is happening that the Canadian court has made a decision that goes against the Canadian government, the Canadian people, and Islam practices in countries where that religion is practiced by the majority? Something clearly isn't right with this picture.
Because Canada is a democracy wih freedom of religion, that's why. We judge according to our standards, not theirs. And that is something that is very right with this picture. But you are now apparently conflating photo IDs with what your topic was about originally, which was having one's face covered in a citizenship ceremony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 PM

7,249 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Thank you for looking into that! I have to wonder why the court that is making the decision is not looking into practices in countries where Islam is the majority religion. If what is requested is not done in those countries, why is Canada thinking that it should be done in Canada on the basis of "religious" beliefs?

What is happening that the Canadian court has made a decision that goes against the Canadian government, the Canadian people, and Islam practices in countries where that religion is practiced by the majority? Something clearly isn't right with this picture.
Having the face uncovered for passport photos is for establishing identification and is not the same thing as having the face uncovered for citizenship ceremonies. Don't confuse the two. I only looked into what were the requirements for passport and other official ID photos.

I don't know what procedures and dress codes are required or done with regard to citizenship ceremonies in other countries. But whatever other countries do I don't think it has any bearing on what happens in Canada anyway. What other countries do in their ceremonies is no business of Canada's and should have no influence on Canada and what Canada does is no business of other countries. So there would be no need for the Canadian court to look into practices in other countries, whether they're Islam or not, because their practises are not relevant to Canada.

I didn't look into what their citizenship ceremony practises and dress codes are in Islam countries but for all I know (which is nothing in this case) maybe muslim women taking citizenship oaths in those countries are permitted or possibly even required to be completely veiled during the ceremony. If they are veiled in other countries it still has nothing to do with what happens in Canada's ceremonies.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-20-2015 at 10:34 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 12:02 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times

Old 09-21-2015, 12:48 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
That's very cute Nat and it may be true for some, but I personally am preparing to vote for a party that has the opposite view to mine on the niqab-citizenship issue.

It doesn't make me happy but I realize it's not the most important issue. Not even close.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:52 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
OK so the latest thing on social media seems to be people saying they are going to go vote on Oct. 19 with their faces covered in a variety of ways. We'll see how big a "thing" this ends up being but there are bound to be at least some people who do it.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:15 PM

34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
While i think its kinda rude to flaunt Canadas legality on the issue, i could accept the Hijab or the chador if you must but the Niquab and the burqa are taking it a step too far in the Canadian citizenship ceremony.
Niqabs, burkas must be removed during citizenship ceremonies: Jason Kenney | National Post

Old 09-21-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's very cute Nat and it may be true for some, but I personally am preparing to vote for a party that has the opposite view to mine on the niqab-citizenship issue.

It doesn't make me happy but I realize it's not the most important issue. Not even close.
Well, it's just a cartoon that I found amusing, but it's point being that there a bigger things to worry about in the world.

Personally I dislike the Niqab, but as long as they have to show their faces for identity, it's fine.

I haven't had a conversation with any women who wears one ( I mean I've had small talk but nothing deep ) but I understand that a lot of women who do wear them say they don't feel oppressed.
Maybe not, but I believe they are.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
OK so the latest thing on social media seems to be people saying they are going to go vote on Oct. 19 with their faces covered in a variety of ways. We'll see how big a "thing" this ends up being but there are bound to be at least some people who do it.
Sounds silly. They'll hold up the line for sure.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:11 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,488,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Because Canada is a democracy wih freedom of religion, that's why. We judge according to our standards, not theirs. And that is something that is very right with this picture. But you are now apparently conflating photo IDs with what your topic was about originally, which was having one's face covered in a citizenship ceremony.
Canadians should make decisions and laws according to Canadians, not foreigners who want to change the law to suit them.

If countries where Islam is the predominant religion require everyone to show their face, regardless of personal choice, for important documents, then without doubt those who practice that religion should show their face for citizenship requirements in a foreign country. There is no good reason for Canadians to allow people to hide their mouth when they are supposed to make an oath.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,488,527 times
Quote:
Maybe it will be cold enough on Oct. 19 for everyone to vote wearing the Men's North 49 Windproof Fleece Balaclava; product carries a 1 year exchange warranty redeemable at any Canadian Tire store.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/men-39-s-north-49-windproof-fleece-balaclava-0870014p.html#.VgCBY8uFOUk

Obviously Canadians have their own form of face covering. If it's good enough for foreigners, it must be good enough for Canadians. It could be worn at the bank, in church, in the courtroom, in the schools, on public transit ... cold weather is as good a reason as personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or