U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:15 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,489,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A bag over the head really isn't the same thing, as there is no cultural/religious history of bag wearing people.
A paper bag with two eye holes could be the poor man's niquab - for those unable to afford the cloth version of facial concealment. It seems legitimate, assuming that Canadians don't discriminate against poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM

1,373 posts, read 822,322 times
my religion insists that I wear this at ALL times for ANY time I am not alone...

its MY religion and who are you to judge? What.... are you racist too?

geez... do NOT demean my religion.. I am FREE to not be persecuted!!

all hail Jason Voorhees

https://rhinews.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/jason.jpg

Old 09-22-2015, 08:39 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
my religion insists that I wear this at ALL times for ANY time I am not alone...

its MY religion and who are you to judge? What.... are you racist too?

geez... do NOT demean my religion.. I am FREE to not be persecuted!!

all hail Jason Voorhees

https://rhinews.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/jason.jpg
Then stay where such religion is encouraged. You can't expect everything including the law in a foreign country to change to suit your needs.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:57 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,449,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
IMO it's entirely fair game to view this late 20th/early 21st century resurgence of the burqa as a big step backwards for women's rights in a large part of the world.
Yeah, I really don't understand the appeal of this on any level. If the niqab exists solely for women, it must have roots in some sort of gender subjugation. As a completely secular person, I have intense trouble relating to the need to justify certain traditions, and this is kind of one of them.

I am perfectly aware that many muslim women say they do not wear these due to societal or gender pressures, but as some sort of identity thing. I just can't wrap my head around that, though. I can't fathom why somebody should be expected to cover their face to appear in public in any society, and then rush to defend that. It seems absurd.

If you want to cover your face in 9/10 social situations, and it's your own decision, fine. I don't get it, but fine. But follow the procedures that apply to everyone else in crown institutions. I don't think you can just do anything under the name of it being part of your religion. I think that could get out of hand very quickly.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:40 AM

34,397 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Women who wear a burka? why?are they ashamed of their femininity?

Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 AM

23,437 posts, read 28,289,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Then stay where such religion is encouraged. You can't expect everything including the law in a foreign country to change to suit your needs.
I don't think you saw the link.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:58 AM

5,759 posts, read 4,179,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A bag over the head really isn't the same thing, as there is no cultural/religious history of bag wearing people.
Umm, yes I realize that. I wish there were, but a burqa might as well be a bag. A black garbage bag, a black burqa... same thing. You can't see anything but the eyes.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:08 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,489,437 times
Gay Muslim fights back, attacking French Canadians to justify concealing face when taking citizenship in a new country:

“If you’re doing it so you can gain a few points somewhere in rural Quebec, well, I expect more from my leadership,” [the mayor] said during the interview."

War of words escalates between Calgary mayor and Tory MP | CTV Calgary News

Old 10-02-2015, 07:10 AM

21,948 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Gay Muslim fights back, attacking French Canadians to justify concealing face when taking citizenship in a new country:

“If you’re doing it so you can gain a few points somewhere in rural Quebec, well, I expect more from my leadership,” [the mayor] said during the interview."

War of words escalates between Calgary mayor and Tory MP | CTV Calgary News
Niiice. His comments only confirm my opposition to the niqab.

Even the Nenshi and I probably would agree on most everything else. And I certainly won't be voting Conservative just because of this issue.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,181,544 times
Hats off to the PM's campaign team for turning such a fringe issue into a major election topic and elevating it all the way to something that, in the words of the conservative campaign manager, "challenges our core Canadian values"

I mean, why would any Canadian want to care about climate change, the slowing economic growth, public infrastructure, or government transparency and corruption when a few niqab chicks are threatening our very identity and core values! Whether or not these chicks cover their faces - it is absolutely an issue that will decide life and death of our nation and will have profound consequences for the next 1000 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or