Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

I got the impression the topic was about face covering at the citizenship ceremony and not about face covering in general where IMO if you want to live your life wearing a tent over your head thats the freedom Canada gives you but at the swearing in to become a Canadian citizen lets respect the laws of the country you are about to become a citizen of..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I got the impression the topic was about face covering at the citizenship ceremony and not about face covering in general where IMO if you want to live your life wearing a tent over your head thats the freedom Canada gives you but at the swearing in to become a Canadian citizen lets respect the laws of the country you are about to become a citizen of..
Everyone knows (or should know) that face concealment is a personal preference rather than a religious requirement. This seems like a very dangerous road to walk in the name of political correctness, but if the Canadian courts confirm that it's okay for foreigners to change Canadian law so they can conceal their face and mouth when they swear an oath to Canada, then it follows that Canadians can conceal their face in less significant public situations such as voting, at the bank, on public transit and so on. It would be a significant statement if Canadians concealed their faces when they vote ... quoting the new law that face concealment in public is just fine if that's what people prefer.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:17 AM

You seem to be expanding your original premise from legalizing face covering at a citizenship ceremony to that of equating face covering to the elimination of all public face covering. I dont see the connect,we are talking of face covering at citizenship ceremonies,as said before if outside that situation people want to wear face covering i have no problem with the practice, however if photo id is required obviously you will have to show your face to have the photo taken and when proof of identity is required..

Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
I SO wish that someone coming from a far away country would put a bag over their head with eye holes and claim that they belong to a cult/religion and that they want to become a Canadian citizen with it on.

WHAT gives them the right to have their face covered while swearing in? NOTHING IMO. Canada is known for equality and fairness. Want to be a Canadian? Do as every other religion or alien citizen has to.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Face covering is a personal choice or freedom, but doing so in certain circumstances shouldn't be allowed. The oath ceremony is one of them. Walking into a bank is another.

And I don't think many companies will likely interview someone when the person is covering everything except her two eyes. I certainly wouldn't. It is like you can't wear a bikini to an interview for a finance job. That's simply inappropriate and has nothing to do with religious freedom.

Should nudists be allowed to present themselves nude in any situation?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:49 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,378 times
well then...

I am going to wear a Halloween Mask when I take the oath, get my driver's license, passport photo...etc

Old 09-22-2015, 09:58 AM

I cant believe people think its ok to have this as your passport or drivers license photo
http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/c...urka_290-1.gif

Old 09-22-2015, 11:02 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I SO wish that someone coming from a far away country would put a bag over their head with eye holes and claim that they belong to a cult/religion and that they want to become a Canadian citizen with it on.

WHAT gives them the right to have their face covered while swearing in? NOTHING IMO. Canada is known for equality and fairness. Want to be a Canadian? Do as every other religion or alien citizen has to.
A bag over the head really isn't the same thing, as there is no cultural/religious history of bag wearing people.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:03 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I cant believe people think its ok to have this as your passport or drivers license photo
http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/c...urka_290-1.gif
However it isn't OK. You can't get a passport of drivers license in Canada wearing one.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:45 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
However it isn't OK. You can't get a passport of drivers license in Canada wearing one.
That's a good point and should be part of the analysis.

But still, I bet that the grandmothers and great-grandmothers of most of the women wearing burqas today didn't wear burqas themselves.

The burqa has existed throughout history but go back to places like Teheran and Kabul and look at photos from the 60s and 70s and you'll see that few women were wearing them then.

IMO it's entirely fair game to view this late 20th/early 21st century resurgence of the burqa as a big step backwards for women's rights in a large part of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada