U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,495,979 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on new Canadians covering their face during citizenship ceremonies? It seems that a woman wants to become a Canadian citizen, but before she will do that, she wants to change Canadian law to ensure that new Canadians can cover their face when swearing the oath of citizenship. The Conservative government is fighting this, but the NDP and Liberal governments agree with this foreigner.

How do Canadians feel about this?

"Current regulations ban wearing of face veils at citizenship ceremonies, but Ishaq challenged the rule, won in Federal Court and again this week, when a three-judge appeal panel upheld that decision in a quick ruling from the bench ...

"Look, when someone joins the Canadian family, there are times in our open, tolerant, pluralistic society that as part of our interactions with each other we reveal our identity through revealing our face. When you join the Canadian family in a public citizenship ceremony it is essential that that is a time when you reveal yourselves to Canadians and that is something widely supported by Canadians."

Federal government seeking stay on niqab appeal pending Supreme Court | CTV News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 11:29 PM

7,297 posts, read 6,614,354 times
"It seems that a woman wants to become a Canadian citizen, but before she will do that, she wants to change Canadian law....."

That about sums it up in a nutshell and I don't like it. I don't care what Canadian law it is that she or any other prospective new immigrants may want to change, if it's allowed it sets a bad precedent that makes me ask "Where will it end, how many other Canadian laws will new immigrants want to be changed to accomodate them before they'll condescend to become citizens?"

So, I hope when the appeal goes before the Supreme Court that the SC will put the kibosh on it in short order and make it plain that tried and true Canadian laws will not be changed for the whims of new immigrants.

I thought the reason why muslim women cover their faces in public is to not appear sexually attractive or bring unwanted attention to themselves. I feel that the young woman who is making this fuss about keeping her face covered for the citizenship oath and ceremony is a hypocrite. The reason she's a hypocrite is because she has been appearing in public and before the media with her eyes heavily made up with cosmetics and kohl to make her already striking doe-eyes appear more stunningly beautiful and beguiling. Seems to me that using cosmetics, trying to attract attention to her eyes and look more sexually attractive and beguiling that way is defeating the whole purpose of wearing the face covering. I hope the Supreme Court also takes note of that hypocrisy.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-19-2015 at 11:37 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 11:31 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,185,407 times
Nope. Don't agree. That goes for getting any form of government ID as well.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:10 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,455,118 times
I agree with Magnatomicflux.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:50 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
I wouldn't ban it in public places like they do in some European countries (like France) and even in some Muslim countries BTW.

But I don't think it should be given additional legitimacy by the state by welcoming it into our official institutional settings.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,279,768 times
To the OP...........

NEITHER the Liberals or the NDP are a "Government " at this time...........Perhaps you should actually READ what you have written, before you hit the button ?

And for the record, I reject the idea that in Canada, a person can "hide their face " and attempt to change our legal system to their warped view. Live in Canada, follow the laws that are in place.

Jim B.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:44 AM
BMI

7,266 posts, read 4,527,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Nope. Don't agree. That goes for getting any form of government ID as well.
Agree.

I had to remove my ball cap when getting my picture taken for id.

Same thing when I was in court for jury duty.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:50 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

And for the record, I reject the idea that in Canada, a person can "hide their face " and attempt to change our legal system to their warped view. Live in Canada, follow the laws that are in place.

Jim B.
Well, our laws can and will change over time based on the views of a majority of Canadian citizens, which includes naturalized Canadian citizens who immigrated here.

But I agree there is something inordinate about wanting to change things before even becoming a citizen.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:56 AM

2,669 posts, read 1,985,721 times
So, do they want to cover their face for their ID photo, too?

Old 09-20-2015, 07:32 AM

18,337 posts, read 10,411,152 times
This issue raised it's ugly little pug for the first time back when Sikh's demanded accommodation over the Turban for things such as joining the RCMP etc.

All manner of authoritative historical and professional experts were summarily ignored and they were accommodated in a frenzy of typical Canadian bending at the waist.

Sikh scholars themselves were very adamant that the "tradition" of wearing the Turban stemmed from Sikh's predominance in the specialty of fabric dying.

The religious dictates of Sikhism dictate "they shall not cut their hair" and one can appreciate how going home in the evening after a day of working with your hair dangling into various dye vats could be a major PITA so it became the practice to use the irregular width, long strips of coloured fabric left from trimming the ends once a bolt had been rolled and use it to restrain their hair and beards from dragging through the vats.

Hence we now have the Sikh "traditional" but NOT religiously stipulated hair coverings shown being accommodated as members of the RCMP and incidentally, standing behind every candidate for high office today.

That was not really a big deal with the relatively benign implications of one traditional symbol of the Mountie hat being usurped by another traditional symbol; the Turban.

This is something entirely different, as the Turban in no way exemplified the male dominant repressive nature of designating the female as an object of overt desire to the extent it is incumbent upon the female to PROVE and DISPLAY her chastity to the satisfaction of males, lest she be punished and scorned.

We should in no way endorse this medieval and backward human rights abrogation in the same way we would not allow men to marry multiple underage girls, regardless if it be their choice or not. We have a responsibility to stand rigidly on the issue of human rights to the extent of swimming against the current and making tough choices if needs be. Endorsing the subjugation of the female; regardless if it is a tradition of long standing or not, should not be allowed.

We would act swiftly and without any hesitance to stamp out female genital mutilation for the very same reasons as this aberrant "cover your face lest men find you attractive" nonsense. Any religious belief that intrudes upon any aspect of human rights, be they stated or merely understood, should not be tolerated, regardless of the acolyte's desires.

The aspect of security and compliance with common-sense rules and laws of identity are just another reason why it should be a non-starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or