U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 03:49 PM

35 posts, read 43,900 times

Advertisements

I work online as a freelancer (writing, blogging, affiliate marketing, etc.). Would I be able to immigrate to Canada, since my job literally has no national boundaries? All the companies I work for allow you to live in Canada and still work for them, so in effect, I have a job, just not a conventional one.

How much income would I have to prove to immigrate legally? I have a spotless criminal record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
Your job might in theory enable you to move anywhere. But, there are quite a few hoops you'd need to jump through to become a citizen or just to live here for a few years with a work visa (or work permit, depending upon your country of origin... are you American?). It'd be really hard to say without more information. What's your net worth? What's your track record as a freelancer? If you don't have a solid job offer in Canada, you have to prove that you can support yourself in some way.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Your job might in theory enable you to move anywhere. But, there are quite a few hoops you'd need to jump through to become a citizen or just to live here for a few years with a work visa (or work permit, depending upon your country of origin... are you American?). It'd be really hard to say without more information. What's your net worth? What's your track record as a freelancer? If you don't have a solid job offer in Canada, you have to prove that you can support yourself in some way.
I pretty much have no net worth. I don't own any property, or even a vehicle. I only have my writing income, which is sufficient to support myself here, so I would imagine it would be able to support me there, as I would be working for the same clients at the same rates. I did some research and it seems Canada is slightly cheaper than the U.S., except for taxes. Since I'm self-employed, I'd need to check to see if the U.S. would still want me to pay taxes here. I wouldn't want to be paying both countries. Not thinking of becoming a citizen, just a temporary resident with an eye to becoming permanent if I like it.

I wouldn't be able to live in a major city due to the exorbitant rents, but then, I couldn't live in a major city here either. I was thinking of somewhere around Vancouver, since I have friends and family in Seattle, but I'd have to be in a place with good public transportation. Someone suggested Surrey, and I saw on Craigslist where the rents seemed in line with what I'm paying here.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennish View Post
I pretty much have no net worth. I don't own any property, or even a vehicle. I only have my writing income, .
I dont think your odds are good but then i dont get to make that final decision.
Start studying all the parameters of achieving Canadian residence there might be a way.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
You can do almost all that is required online.

Best of luck..

Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Might want to consult with a reputable immigration lawyer since your case would be less straightforward. They'd be able to give you the advice you need. Indeed, especially with the low Canadian dollar right now, Canada would probably be cheaper. anyways, best of luck!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:43 PM

I did a little research and found out that there is a special visa available for writers. I'm checking into it. Someone said it's easier to get because they don't expect artistic types to have as much money. I'll see how it goes and let you know.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:11 AM

One more question -- how hard is it usually to get your 6-month visitor's stay extended? I have heard about people who have been there for years, and as long as they don't commit crimes and are self-sufficient, they keep getting it renewed. One guy said that after a year of visiting and proving he could support himself, he was given a permanent resident visa pretty easily with not much in the way of assets. He showed them that he had contracts with several Canadian firms for web design, but he didn't want to pay double taxes (US and Canadian), so he wanted to emigrate, and they were very accommodating, even referring him to a good attorney who could help him with the paperwork. He's moved completely over now, and only works for Canadian clients and only pays Canadian taxes, and has all the benefits accorded therof.

It seems Canada is, with good cause, only concerned with keeping the freeloaders out, and who can blame them? Florida is the same way down here. They are harsh with the homeless, because what homeless person would not rather live in FL than in some frigid northern state? They have barely any services for the poor or homeless, because they are trying to keep the state from being overrun. A lot of people think that's harsh, but I can see their point. The state can't even support the full-time working residents it has now, so it surely doesn't need a lot of people here leeching.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,275,626 times
If you don't want leechers, don't go to Surrey. But all kidding aside, consider your philosophy on that - you will be paying high taxes for everyone else, it is our social philosophy here. Surrey is a decent location for internet freelancers.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 AM

430 posts, read 676,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennish View Post
I did some research and it seems Canada is slightly cheaper than the U.S., except for taxes. Since I'm self-employed [...]
Canada will have lower taxes for you if you are self-employed. Mainly because payroll taxes are lower. You stop paying the Canadian version of FICA taxes at C$50,000 ($37,500) whereas in the USA for the self-employed, paying both the employee and employer portions of FICA, they take 15% of your income all the way through $118,500 in earnings. This is as much or more "income tax" than the actual income tax for many people. And the Medicare portion of that (2.5% of income) will continue no matter how high your income gets beyond that.

Ergo, your overall tax burden comes out much higher in the USA until you reach $118,500 (C$158,000) in income, despite the higher sales tax.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Of course, he'd still have to file with the IRS even if he moves to Canada. You can deduct any taxes you pay in Canada, so most Americans have to pay nothing even though they file with the IRS, but if you pay considerably less in Canada you may still have to pay the difference to the US or they'll come after you on return visits to the states. Still probably worth though, especially if you're getting paid in US dollars and spending Canadian dollars, which are worth much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada