U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 02:50 PM

10,146 posts, read 11,931,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
"I want snow-capped mountains in Florida--that place is a failure in terms of topography."

"And I want rainforest in Arizona, seriously what a ecological failure."

Now, how silly do those sound...
The difference is you can get those things in the USA. It's called Hawaii and Pacific Northwest. Where can I find the tropics or subtropics in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 02:58 PM

12,724 posts, read 8,803,839 times
LOL. Canadians and weather threads are almost as long as Canadians and beer threads.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,011,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The difference is you can get those things in the USA. It's called Hawaii and Pacific Northwest. Where can I find the tropics or subtropics in Canada?
So? Canadians can visit Hawaii about as easily as most Americans can. Vancouver and British Columbia are part of the Pacific Northwest.

It would be slightly easier for a Canadian to move somewhere like Florida if was in the same country, though there's plenty of Canadians who winter in Florida as it is. Other than though, what's the big deal?

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 09-23-2015 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-23-2015, 03:30 PM

10,146 posts, read 11,931,012 times
Quote:
So? Canadians can visit Hawaii about as easily as most Americans can. Vancouver and British Columbia are part of the Pacific Northwest.

It would be slightly easier for a Canadian to move somewhere like Florida if was in the same country, though there's plenty of Canadians who winter in Florida as it is. Other than though, what's the big deal?
The big deal I guess is a Canadian can't work there legally and make a living like a Minnesotan can work in Florida or a Swede can work in Spain without a visa.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:34 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,178,833 times
Quote:

Don't waste your time... I still have no clue what he's getting at, some sort of admission that there is less choice for year round hot weather options in Canada than most other countries - yes we all know that

Old 09-23-2015, 03:50 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,011,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't waste your time... I still have no clue what he's getting at, some sort of admission that there is less choice for year round hot weather options in Canada than most other countries - yes we all know that
Most countries around the world don't have that broad a range of geography or climate--there's really only a handful where you can go from extremes of sub-tropical to tundra. It's such a funny thing to even discuss--like sure it'd be nice if Canada had colonized a South Pacific island chain, but I'm not really concerned that we didn't.

At least Canada got to legally enjoy a Cuba free of American tourist masses for a few decades...we had that going for us!

Old 09-23-2015, 03:57 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,178,833 times
Quote:
Most countries around the world don't have that broad a range of geography or climate--there's really only a handful where you can go from extremes of sub-tropical to tundra. It's such a funny thing to even discuss--like sure it'd be nice if Canada had colonized a South Pacific island chain, but I'm not really concerned that we didn't.

At least Canada got to legally enjoy a Cuba free of American tourist masses for a few decades...we had that going for us!
but as I said before, even if we colonized a south pacific or even Caribbean island chain we'd still have to hop on a plane. No different than Cuba lol... I still think Cuba would be cheaper - I mean is it that difficult to spend what 100 bucks for a 5 year passport or even better value I think 160 for like a 10 year one now - Big deal.. I couldn't live without my passport..

He makes a decent point about living/work.. For some people living in a country like the U.S where you could move to Houston or L.A would be important because cold drives them crazy so it'd be easier for them.. With that said, there are plenty of people in the U.S that choose to reside in the NYC's, Bostons, Chicago's etc so not everyone needs year round warm/hot weather or at least it simply doesn't bother them as much as some.. If it bothers you that bad though - where there's a will there's a way and Deneb should work as hard as he can to move to a climate that suits his fancy - its CLEARLY very important to him - i'm not sure what wallowing around about it in a forum is gonna do.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:43 PM

12,347 posts, read 10,355,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
but as I said before, even if we colonized a south pacific or even Caribbean island chain we'd still have to hop on a plane. No different than Cuba lol... I still think Cuba would be cheaper - I mean is it that difficult to spend what 100 bucks for a 5 year passport or even better value I think 160 for like a 10 year one now - Big deal.. I couldn't live without my passport..

He makes a decent point about living/work.. For some people living in a country like the U.S where you could move to Houston or L.A would be important because cold drives them crazy so it'd be easier for them.. With that said, there are plenty of people in the U.S that choose to reside in the NYC's, Bostons, Chicago's etc so not everyone needs year round warm/hot weather or at least it simply doesn't bother them as much as some.. If it bothers you that bad though - where there's a will there's a way and Deneb should work as hard as he can to move to a climate that suits his fancy - its CLEARLY very important to him - i'm not sure what wallowing around about it in a forum is gonna do.

Knowing Deneb from the Weather Forum I can understand the thread. I think it is kind of a venting thread for him. Maybe it gives him a little comfort to know other Canadians agree with him, and some have. He despises cold winter weather and likes it hot.

In Canada there really is no where warm that Canadians talk about moving to. In the US it is very common to hear such talk. Here in my region it is very easy to say I've had it with winter and I'm moving to FL. Even HI. I worked with a guy a few years back that went to Hawaii on his honeymoon and loved the place. He vowed to move there with his wife and sure enough within a year or so he was there. I know a Canadian on a garden forum that visited Hawaii and still talks about how much he wishes he could move there. That is quite a cultural difference in the way people behave in each country. I would bet that if Canada had a province that was like CA weatherwise, it would be the largest province in Canada hands down. Loads of GI's during WWII were sent to Cali, and after the war loads of them moved there. Nothing like that happened in Canada. I think in a nutshell that is what Deneb is posting about. How different life in Canada would be if the country had a warm winter region within its borders.

Do Canadians actually even move within their country for climate? I do think it does bother some Canadians that moving for weather is not very easy at all. I think that is what Deneb is kind of venting about.

In Europe and the US it is really quite easy.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:45 PM

873 posts, read 818,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Canada has Cuba.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 4,464,223 times
No, Canada is not a fail in terms of climate. If anything it is a success, Canadians have built cities in places that suffer extremely harsh winters, barely inhabitable (Montreal, quebec, winnipeg etc etc) and have done a great job at it.

One of Canadas most famous and cherished characters is the lovable snowman bonhomme carnaval. When most foreigners think of Canada, they think of this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMzzWXN_fE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or