U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 09:05 PM

12,696 posts, read 8,769,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For those who think I should get off my butt and just move, well I am doing what I can and I'm researching various options but it's going to take me many years to realize this goal due to a combination of my personal circumstances and immigration roadblocks. That's what I'm most frustrated about unlike an American or a Brit who can just pack their bags tomorrow and be on the next plane to a warmer destination to live provided they have the funds to do so.
What's the longest time you've spent in a warm climate?

I know for myself, one who enjoys warm weather and would never say no to a mid-winter beach holiday, still finds that after a while I get tired of it and look forward to coming home with rain lashing at the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 PM

6,577 posts, read 4,102,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What's the longest time you've spent in a warm climate?

I know for myself, one who enjoys warm weather and would never say no to a mid-winter beach holiday, still finds that after a while I get tired of it and look forward to coming home with rain lashing at the window.
Could it be that you're tired of the holiday, more than the weather in the holiday spot? I love vacations, but after two weeks I'm done. I'm ready to get back to my home and my routine, even if the weather is crappy where I live.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Could it be that you're tired of the holiday, more than the weather in the holiday spot? I love vacations, but after two weeks I'm done. I'm ready to get back to my home and my routine, even if the weather is crappy where I live.
Partly of course, but I spent a month in Mexico once, and the hot weather was getting very tedious, especially the humidity. I felt much more alive arriving back in cooler climes.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
You shouldn't have took what I said so literally. I'm saying Canadians have a place to warm up without the presence of Americans.
So does every country in the world.
The difference is you can only spend a couple of weeks there. You can't live or work there, eventually you still come back to deal with the remaining four months of winter, so I am sure how the presence of Cuba changes anything.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Partly of course, but I spent a month in Mexico once, and the hot weather was getting very tedious, especially the humidity. I felt much more alive arriving back in cooler climes.
Considering San Diego is right on the border, I'm sure there are plenty of Mexican towns with that type of non humid weather. It was your decision to stay in a humid place in Mexico, not that the entire Mexico is hot and humid.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It is called homesick. Has nothing to do with weather.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,038,623 times
The only thing I dislike about Canada is the weather........just joking about it with my friend from Kingston.......my friends in BC don't care for the gloom but other than that they are pretty darn happy.
Friends in Alberta don't like it much either.......

other than that Canada is a pretty awesome country for a lot of reasons #1 The People!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Everything depends on where you are in Canada, of course.

Toronto has slightly better weather than Chicago, and is not all thatdifferent from Boston or even New York. Vancouver has basically the same weather as Seattle or even Portland. Or even San Francisco, really, with a little more drizzle. Montreal, of course, can be a bit unbearable. Yellowknife, now that's some serious cold.

The weather overall is comparable or superior to the weather in Sweden, Denmark, and other popular northern European countries.
Not true. Toronto is almost always a bit colder than Chicago and twice snowier. Boston May appear snowier but it actually receives a bit less snow on average.

Both Chicago and Boston have earlier spring than Toronto.

NYC has a different climate zone. It is far warmer than Toronto. Usually by eight degrees in winter.

Also: Seattle is noticeably less rainy than Vancouver. To compare Vancouver's weather with sunny and warmer SF is laughable. We are talking about 7 months of rain vs 11 months of sunshine here.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Considering San Diego is right on the border, I'm sure there are plenty of Mexican towns with that type of non humid weather. It was your decision to stay in a humid place in Mexico, not that the entire Mexico is hot and humid.
That was just one example. Palms Springs isn't humid and I get tired of the weather there after awhile.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:49 PM

430 posts, read 677,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not true. Toronto is almost always a bit colder than Chicago and twice snowier. Boston May appear snowier but it actually receives a bit less snow on average.

Both Chicago and Boston have earlier spring than Toronto.

NYC has a different climate zone. It is far warmer than Toronto. Usually by eight degrees in winter.

Also: Seattle is noticeably less rainy than Vancouver. To compare Vancouver's weather with sunny and warmer SF is laughable. We are talking about 7 months of rain vs 11 months of sunshine here.
So, you think SF has 11 months of sunshine? Try almost zero months of sunshine in the city proper, where I lived for years. Unless you are in a freakish microclimate, it's fog for most of every day, and there is never any summer except for about a month around October when you can actually wear one layer of shirt and not freeze in the wind just walking down the street to get some groceries. Granted, if you just get out of the city as far as Fremont or the airport or especially Palo Alto, you are in a very nice climate that is often sunny. But that's not San Francisco. Think it's glamorous to be on the ocean in California, like SF is? The water is 48 F year round there, which may contribute to the fact that SF is never warm.

And Boston being 5 degrees warmer than Toronto is nothing. I grew up in a place that is 5 degrees warmer than NYC, and I don't really notice any difference in my lifestyle in the Northeast versus Central Virginia. To really change your lifestyle, again, in my opinion you're going to need to go somewhere drastic from Toronto, like the west coast or the South. Moving to New York from Toronto is like me moving back to Virginia from New York. Not a lifestyle changing event, at least not insofar as the climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or