U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 04:28 PM

5,707 posts, read 6,560,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Yeah, Canada needs to change its climate. They need to put a dome over the country or something.
I agree with that. If they can send someone to the moon...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 04:53 PM

430 posts, read 678,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I agree with that. If they can send someone to the moon...
It's coming. The first experiment was in Toronto, called the SkyDome. This year especially, it seems to be a rousing success.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,012,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
It's coming. The first experiment was in Toronto, called the SkyDome. This year especially, it seems to be a rousing success.
Just rebuild the whole country to be like the West Edmonton Mall. Giant indoor lagoons, fake versions of Bourbon Street, water-parks, and submarine rides for everyone!

(Oh, wait they got rid of the submarine, that sucks...)

Old 09-24-2015, 05:08 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,012,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The dome idea has had it's day

Climate change is turning us into a banana belt LOL

Abbotsford goes bananas as plant bears fruit in hot summer
The Fraser Valley is the next Costa Rica.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:21 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,363,034 times
Quote:
No half-intelligent person is "stuck indoors all the time" in just about any climate. Is there a shortage of goose down parkas where you are or something? I wasn't stuck inside at all during the great Polar Vortex of last winter in NYC when we had Toronto-like high temperatures of -10 C. I just wore a parka, and was plenty warm even standing still in the wind perusing books outdoors at Strand.

Now Montreal gets enough snow that maybe that's different. Maybe people are stuck inside because there's just no way to navigate the snow outside. But that probably doesn't happen for very long in Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver.
-10c in not an average Toronto winter high, it's more like -1c. -10c highs are only experienced during Arctic cold blasts.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:07 PM

7,346 posts, read 6,640,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

Do Canadians actually even move within their country for climate? I do think it does bother some Canadians that moving for weather is not very easy at all. I think that is what Deneb is kind of venting about.
Yes. There are Canada's poor, homeless snowbirds who come to BC.

There are many hundreds, perhaps thousands, of homeless that are drug addicted street people, or teenage runaways, criminals on the run and permanently unemployed ne'er-do-well drifters. They come from right across all parts of Canada to BC's lower mainland because of the climate here. It's really the only place in Canada where homeless people can survive living outdoors during the winters. Many of them stay year round and live as homeless people on a permanent basis. Some of them come and go every year.

Every year right around this time of year there is another new exodus of returnees as well as more newcomer homeless people who have never been here before come migrating to the lower mainland to winter over on the streets and squatting in empty lots or setting up homeless camps in greenbelt areas, supposedly until mid-spring. After spring arrives many stay but many drift away to other locations throughout Canada looking for whatever it is they're looking for, then most of them return to the lower mainland again the following autumn.

In many ways it's similar to the situation that Florida has with its thousands of homeless American citizens who have arrived in Florida from all over USA for the same reason of hospitable winter climate.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-24-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 PM

21,982 posts, read 27,457,092 times
Quote:

Now Montreal gets enough snow that maybe that's different. Maybe people are stuck inside because there's just no way to navigate the snow outside. .
Nah, Montreal deals with the snow just fine. People are out and about there in the winter as much if not more than in many other cities.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:46 AM

9,768 posts, read 6,704,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nah, Montreal deals with the snow just fine. People are out and about there in the winter as much if not more than in many other cities.

IIRC, the snow in Montreal didn't stay on the ground for very long due to all of the cars and foot traffic crushing it away.
In the more suburban and rural outskirts, snow is more of an issue, but locals deal with it just fine.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 AM
BMI

7,270 posts, read 4,545,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If people aren't dying to get away from winter then why do people even travel to places like Cuba and the DR in those all inclusive resorts? I don't have numbers but I'd bet that that industry is worth billions and a large segment of that industry is Canadians.

As far as snowbirds, i don't have exact numbers either but there are 70,000 people who are members of the canadian snowbird association and there are certainly probably many more who spend months at a time who are not members.

Germany and the UK don't have warm climates either but through the Schengen agreement, Germans and Brits can move to the Canary Islands in Spain and don't need a visa to live there unlike a Canadian who does need a visa to immigrate somewhere warm.

I realize a lot of what I'm saying is my opinion and you don't have to agree but judging from what I've seen and heard, a sizable number do agree with me.
I say Schengen Schmengen

These Brits and Germans still have to find employment in the Canary Islands or southern Spain.
I'm sure how strong the economy is in those places, maybe they can all work as hotel maids

If it's a retirement situation.... then it's not much different than a Canadian spending the winter in
Florida. And as a bonus the Canadian gets to enjoy a warmer Canadian summer too.

As you mentioned there are thousands of snowbirders in Canada (also northern US too).

These folks are retired and don't have to worry about getting a job.
Only real difference between an American "snowbirder" and a Canadian "snowbirder"
is the American can stay all year ....but who wants to be in Florida in summer...yuck.
I have and imo it sucks ....dripping with sweat....I felt I needed to shower 5 times a day, no thanks.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:17 AM

10,149 posts, read 11,937,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I say Schengen Schmengen

These Brits and Germans still have to find employment in the Canary Islands or southern Spain.
I'm sure how strong the economy is in those places, maybe they can all work as hotel maids

If it's a retirement situation.... then it's not much different than a Canadian spending the winter in
Florida. And as a bonus the Canadian gets to enjoy a warmer Canadian summer too.

As you mentioned there are thousands of snowbirders in Canada (also northern US too).

These folks are retired and don't have to worry about getting a job.
Only real difference between an American "snowbirder" and a Canadian "snowbirder"
is the American can stay all year ....but who wants to be in Florida in summer...yuck.
I have and imo it sucks ....dripping with sweat....I felt I needed to shower 5 times a day, no thanks.
The difference is a Canadian snowbirder has to maintain 2 residences (one in Canada and one in the US) which is a lot more expensive than a US or a UK/German snowbirder that only needs to maintain one residence. The US doesn't even have a retirement visa
As far as employment, it's true that most of those Brits and Germans don't rely on the Spanish economy directly but either get pensions or have other sources of income like an online business but at least they have the option to work locally if they wanted to and some also own various hotels and run businesses there to earn money anyway. A Canadian can't run a business in another country without a visa but Brits and Germans can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or