U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 AM

430 posts, read 677,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The difference is a Canadian snowbirder has to maintain 2 residences (one in Canada and one in the US) which is a lot more expensive than a US or a UK/German snowbirder that only needs to maintain one residence. The US doesn't even have a retirement visa
Maintaining one residence for a U.S. snowbirder would mean, as he said, being in Florida in the summer. Nobody wants to be in Florida in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 AM

10,137 posts, read 11,899,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Maintaining one residence for a U.S. snowbirder would mean, as he said, being in Florida in the summer. Nobody wants to be in Florida in the summer.
If that were true why doesn't Florida empty out in the summer? I'm sure it's sticky and uncomfortable for a lot of people but people there seem to cope fine. Summer is one of the busiest periods for Disney World. For myself, I went to Miami in June and had absolutely no issues.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 10,326,456 times
Quote:
The difference is a Canadian snowbirder has to maintain 2 residences (one in Canada and one in the US) which is a lot more expensive than a US or a UK/German snowbirder that only needs to maintain one residence. The US doesn't even have a retirement visa
As far as employment, it's true that most of those Brits and Germans don't rely on the Spanish economy directly but either get pensions or have other sources of income like an online business but at least they have the option to work locally if they wanted to and some also own various hotels and run businesses there to earn money anyway. A Canadian can't run a business in another country without a visa but Brits and Germans can.

Not really. Very easy to rent a condo for three to six months. No need to buy one.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:01 AM

10,137 posts, read 11,899,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not really. Very easy to rent a condo for three to six months. No need to buy one.
Ok will look into it soon.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:03 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,499,560 times
Quote:
I've only gone to Florida in the summer. The intense heat is an enjoyable novelty.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:19 AM

430 posts, read 677,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I've only gone to Florida in the summer. The intense heat is an enjoyable novelty.
The novelty wears off quick if you aren't going back to Canada. And Florida isn't really a place that many young people in the other 49 states ever think of moving to. California would be a much better example.

Florida is just a place for spring break. Not a place people find desirable to live full-time. It has the same climate as Houston. In other words, a pretty terrible one that is worse than Canada's because of the intense humidity and all the sweaty rednecks who smell funny.

Miami is only a slight exception, and it's actually the coolest part of Florida in the summer. Both literally and figuratively.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 AM

9,704 posts, read 6,648,918 times
Quote:
The novelty wears off quick if you aren't going back to Canada. And Florida isn't really a place that many young people in the other 49 states ever think of moving to. California would be a much better example.

Florida is just a place for spring break. Not a place people find desirable to live full-time. It has the same climate as Houston. In other words, a pretty terrible one that is worse than Canada's because of the intense humidity and all the sweaty rednecks who smell funny.

Miami is only a slight exception, and it's actually the coolest part of Florida in the summer. Both literally and figuratively.

Eh... While I'll agree (slightly) on the weather part, it really isn't that bad once you get used to it. The abundance of lakes and nearby beaches make it very easy to find water activities to cool off.

As for Miami being the coolest place figuratively, I beg to differ. Miami is a mess -- a disaster. One would generally have a much better time visiting either the Keys, Orlando, St-Pete, than Miami. Ask any Florida locals and they're likely to echo the sentiment.

Rednecks are pretty much all in North Florida.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM

9,704 posts, read 6,648,918 times
Quote:
If that were true why doesn't Florida empty out in the summer? I'm sure it's sticky and uncomfortable for a lot of people but people there seem to cope fine. Summer is one of the busiest periods for Disney World. For myself, I went to Miami in June and had absolutely no issues.
Summer in some Canadian cities (notably Toronto and Montreal) can be just as intense during the daytime. The only advantage is that it gets cooler at night, whereas Florida temperatures don't drop much in summer evening.

And you're correct: Florida doesn't empty out in the summer. The ~19,000,000 residents cope just fine.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
Not everybody can afford to leave.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:15 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I've had more snow days off work in 8 years in Houston than I did in 30+ years in Calgary.
Try Vancouver. LOL We smell snow and close the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or