U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 02:10 PM

18,346 posts, read 10,414,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You definitely have a point there. The US can be extremely nationalistic too. Maybe I wouldn't be accepted in the US sunbelt I guess I better start taking Spanish classes...
Jeez Louise, now we're back at my post number 13! In the time you've wasted on here whining, you could already have taken a few lessons.

I ask you this one small question; does it seem reasonable to you to have spent so much wasted time engaging humans in a futile exercise of deciding the merits of something no one has any control over?

All of this keyboard time could instead have been used enjoying what's left of a fairly typically nice Canadian summer, could they not?

Get out there and borrow the neighbours dog, take it for a walk throw a Frisbee, go wade in a creek somewhere, buy some art supplies and sketch a skyline, lay in the grass and make whoopee with your boyfriend, whatever, ......... but.......STOP WHINING!

You are really toying with the odds of Karma by playing this silly game. At least one participant on these boards is confined to a wheelchair and would probably dearly love to have your frivolous and puerile complaint as their only concern.

Gonna feel really stupid if tomorrow you get handed your "do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars, go directly to ...(insert name of your most feared poison here)" All this time wasted .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 02:25 PM

10,141 posts, read 11,916,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Jeez Louise, now we're back at my post number 13! In the time you've wasted on here whining, you could already have taken a few lessons.

I ask you this one small question; does it seem reasonable to you to have spent so much wasted time engaging humans in a futile exercise of deciding the merits of something no one has any control over?

All of this keyboard time could instead have been used enjoying what's left of a fairly typically nice Canadian summer, could they not?

Get out there and borrow the neighbours dog, take it for a walk throw a Frisbee, go wade in a creek somewhere, buy some art supplies and sketch a skyline, lay in the grass and make whoopee with your boyfriend, whatever, ......... but.......STOP WHINING!

You are really toying with the odds of Karma by playing this silly game. At least one participant on these boards is confined to a wheelchair and would probably dearly love to have your frivolous and puerile complaint as their only concern.

Gonna feel really stupid if tomorrow you get handed your "do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars, go directly to ...(insert name of your most feared poison here)" All this time wasted .....
I think you just want this thread to be closed ok then. So be it. I opened this thread and now with this I'll close it too. You won't hear any more from me on this matter.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:39 PM

12,711 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Quote:
I think you just want this thread to be closed ok then. So be it. I opened this thread and now with this I'll close it too. You won't hear any more from me on this matter.
...and besides it a beautiful, sunny fall day out there in Vancouver. Go for a walk on the seawall.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:53 PM

18,346 posts, read 10,414,903 times
Quote:
I don't want the thread closed. I want you to assign yourself another priority list. I think my post total on this thread is a whopping TWO if memory serves but I'm sure not going to waste time verifying that number. Had I had any "wants' regarding this thread, I would have more actively persued them and been a genuine pain in the butt.

My assumption is; you're young. My perspective comes from the benefit of being old. Believe me when I say your obsession over this issue is fruitless and wasted time. To be this obsessed over the climate of your habitation is a wasted and pointless exercise BECAUSE, even if this thread identifies like-minded individuals all you've then achieved is having a partner in a fruitless exercise of useless whining.

Your time would be better spent putting your grievance into perspective and actually doing something about it rather than this 360 degree exercise akin to a Labrador Retriever chasing it's tail.

All of us at some time would have enjoyed major habitat changes within Canada as would everybody on the planet about their locale at one time or another. Knowing that your country does have multiple zones of climate with none of them being hot is not a fail; it's rather, a condition of life that requires a move to correct.

Get busy and improve your immigration points so as to realize what anyone else on here would term an ambition for change.

You could have been using all this band-width to discuss any number of courses or avocations that would improve your chances for immigration to a warmer locale but instead all you seem to want is others of us to get down there in full whine-fest mode and agree Canada's a fail climate wise.

Okie dokie, you got it; Canada's an abject failure in everything climate wise.....NOW WHAT? Here's your tissue......hugs, hugs, there, there, life's so unfair...... we all done now?

You are too young to be devoting so much of your angst quota over this issue. I guarantee you...life is gonna smack you upside the head with some genuine travail to worry about without this itty-bitty one you have no control over.

You closing the thread is an admission you're as bored with it as the rest of us.....great; now go enjoy some activity or other.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:50 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,037,117 times
Even after a few decades of living amongst them and dealing with them on a daily basis, it continues to amaze me that many Canadians cannot accept the fact that climates in most parts of Canada are abhorrent for half of the year or more. And to the "get up and move" crowd, many of us would happily leave if it were easy to move between advanced industrialized countries. The USA is a natural second home for Canadians, but it is very difficult for Canadians to relocate there on a permanent basis.

Canada's weather is bad, it is a liability, and it has acted as a drag on Canada's growth.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:33 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,410,813 times
People have to realise that there's more to Florida than in being warm. Yes, it's warm (I personally hate the heat) but... it's also Florida lol Land of lunatics.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 AM

34,463 posts, read 41,580,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Even after a few decades of living amongst them and dealing with them on a daily basis, it continues to amaze me that many Canadians cannot accept the fact that climates in most parts of Canada are abhorrent for half of the year or more. And to the "get up and move" crowd, many of us would happily leave if it were easy to move between advanced industrialized countries. The USA is a natural second home for Canadians, but it is very difficult for Canadians to relocate there on a permanent basis.

Canada's weather is bad, it is a liability, and it has acted as a drag on Canada's growth.

Climates in most parts of Canada are abhorrent for half of the year or more? Really?Bit of an embellishment Mac,if you dont like Canadas winter you only have to deal with it for 4 months a year,the rest of the year is fine with temps ranging from cool to hot.Granted if you dont partake in winter activities you will be locked in your house with the heater on for the winter season just like those in Florida are locked in their houses with the air conditioning on during their endless summer.
It comes down to a matter of personal preference ,i find i am much more active in a Canadian winter than i ever was during 8-10 months of Florida's unrelenting heat and humidity.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Climates in most parts of Canada are abhorrent for half of the year or more? Really?Bit of an embellishment Mac,
Not really, jambo101. It starts in October/November and it doesn't let up until April/May. In some parts of the country, it can be longer.

Quote:
if you dont like Canadas winter you only have to deal with it for 4 months a year,
Again, it is longer in my experience.

Quote:
the rest of the year is fine with temps ranging from cool to hot.
Cool temperatures do not always for pleasant temperatures make. Basically, if it's cold enough to have overnight frosts or if it's cold enough to have ice or snow by day, then it's winter.

Quote:
Granted if you dont partake in winter activities you will be locked in your house with the heater on for the winter season
The cold weather crowd quite frequently make this observation without seeming to understand that those who hate winter also cannot stand being out in the never-ending cold.

Quote:
just like those in Florida are locked in their houses with the air conditioning on during their endless summer.
Right, but I've never suggested that Florida is the ideal alternative. Out of the deep freeze, into the deep fryer isn't a transition that I'd suggest most people should want to make. Many folks just want to live in places where there isn't snow and ice on the ground for five-to-six months of the year.

Quote:
It comes down to a matter of personal preference ,i find i am much more active in a Canadian winter than i ever was during 8-10 months of Florida's unrelenting heat and humidity.
Fair enough. Florida's extreme heat and humidity can be hard to handle alright. Starting in May and continuing on through to September or so, much of Florida can be oppressively hot. That being said, people move en masse to Florida and places in the American south much more readily than they do to places in the colder half of the United States.

Last edited by maclock; 09-27-2015 at 05:06 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 04:52 AM

34,463 posts, read 41,580,248 times
If thats your take on Canadas climate then you certainly got dealt a bad hand when it comes to where you got stuck living..If Canadas climate sucks and Floridas climate sucks where do you think is ideal and whats the chance of you moving there?
On a personal note i grew up in St Pete Florida ,it was early in life that i discovered that i couldnt deal with heat and humidity so in my mid 20s i leaned on an uncle in Canada for sponsorship and a guaranteed job and i immigrated to Canada,been happy ever since.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
If Canadas climate sucks and Floridas climate sucks where do you think is ideal and whats the chance of you moving there?
Hawaii, Coastal California, southwestern Western Australia, the coastal bits of South Australia, some parts of Victoria, coastal New South Wales, the populated parts of the Western Cape, parts of New Zealand, and just about all of the Mediterranean fit the bill rather nicely. I'd even be able to make do with the climate in parts of Colorado and New Mexico as the winter winter in selected parts of either isn't quite as bad as it is in most parts of Canada. Heck, I've even spent time in Houston during the summer months and I didn't find the summer weather there all that bad, and Houston's winters are lovely. (I understand that the weather in Nairobi is supposed to be lovely, as it is Harare, but, you know, Kenya is Kenya and Zimbabwe is Zimbabwe. I've heard the weather is pleasant in and around Johannesburg as well, but until the ANC gets South Africa back under control, I don't know if I'd be in a huge hurry to move there.)

I can live and work in several Mediterranean countries, but salaries and work opportunities aren't great in that region. Australia, New Zealand, and the States really require sponsorship and a good job if you want to move to any of those countries and settle on a permanent basis. They don't make it easy. As for South Africa, well, it has its challenges and it doesn't seem to be terribly easy to secure sponsorship to set up down there (too many jobless locals, I'd imagine).

Quote:
On a personal note i grew up in St Pete Florida ,it was early in life that i discovered that i couldnt deal with heat and humidity so in my mid 20s i leaned on an uncle in Canada for sponsorship and a guaranteed job and i immigrated to Canada,been happy ever since.
I know. It worked out for you, it seems, and that's always a good thing!

Last edited by maclock; 09-27-2015 at 06:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or