U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 10:38 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,266,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Climates in most parts of Canada are abhorrent for half of the year or more? Really?Bit of an embellishment Mac,if you dont like Canadas winter you only have to deal with it for 4 months a year,the rest of the year is fine with temps ranging from cool to hot.Granted if you dont partake in winter activities you will be locked in your house with the heater on for the winter season just like those in Florida are locked in their houses with the air conditioning on during their endless summer.
It comes down to a matter of personal preference ,i find i am much more active in a Canadian winter than i ever was during 8-10 months of Florida's unrelenting heat and humidity.
The climate in Canada is absolutely abhorrent for at least four months of the year, and I'd say winter lasts for about 8 months. You also don't get a real summer, except for a quick glimpse of something resembling summer in certain exceptionally warm areas like Toronto and Montreal. Either way, I really have to wonder why the comparison always jumps to Canada vs. Florida, as if Florida's climate is the only alternative Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Even after a few decades of living amongst them and dealing with them on a daily basis, it continues to amaze me that many Canadians cannot accept the fact that climates in most parts of Canada are abhorrent for half of the year or more. And to the "get up and move" crowd, many of us would happily leave if it were easy to move between advanced industrialized countries. The USA is a natural second home for Canadians, but it is very difficult for Canadians to relocate there on a permanent basis.

Canada's weather is bad, it is a liability, and it has acted as a drag on Canada's growth.
Like you, I'm not sure if it's an act of blind patriotism or what. It seems to be the "Canada is a utopia" crowd that immediately jumps to defend Canada's really quite abysmal climate. When the areas 2 hours north of you are basically tundra and taiga that are more or less free of human habitation, that's a pretty good indicator that you live in a very rough climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 11:42 AM

18,321 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Well it would seem we've gone from simply deriding Canada's climate to now stating anyone jumping in with positives is subject to "blind patriotism".

We're having fun now, eh?

May I ask what post number in any of the Canada threads suggests Canada as being "utopia". I'd like to read that post.

Eight months of winter? All of Canada is above the arctic circle now, when did that happen?

I'd also like to correct the "two hour north" bit about Tundra and Taiga. I can get on some flights heading north for two hours and still arrive at a destination with literally thousands of inhabitants all quite happily living there, cars, buses, trains even a swimming pool or two, or had you forgotten just how large Canada is in both lat. and long.

"Rough climate" shared by millions of folks around the planet, who it might be assumed, many of which have the ability to move elsewhere but don't, who; if taking the crap on here seriously, are also imbued with "blind patriotism" and in no way simply being content with their surroundings and quite happy to remain so without really thinking about the name of their country all that much at all until it's time to renew their driver's license.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:48 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,266,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well it would seem we've gone from simply deriding Canada's climate to now stating anyone jumping in with positives is subject to "blind patriotism".

May I ask what post number in any of the Canada threads suggests Canada as being "utopia". I'd like to read that post.

Eight months of winter? All of Canada is above the arctic circle now, when did that happen?

I'd also like to correct the "two hour north" bit about Tundra and Taiga. I can get on some flights heading north for two hours and still arrive at a destination with literally thousands of inhabitants all quite happily living there, cars, buses, trains even a swimming pool or two, or had you forgotten just how large Canada is in both lat. and long.

"Rough climate" shared by millions of folks around the planet, who it might be assumed, many of which have the ability to move elsewhere but don't, who; if taking the crap on here seriously, are also imbued with "blind patriotism" and in no way simply being content with their surroundings and quite happy to remain so without really thinking about the name of their country all that much at all until it's time to renew their driver's license.
BruSan, do you still spend six months a year in Florida (The United States)? Why not spend those six months in Saskatoon? Serious question.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:55 AM
BMI

7,266 posts, read 4,519,143 times
Quote:

Exactly.

I guess that means the northern US States have a terrible climate too,
it doesn't magically get a lot warmer as soon as you cross the border.
And a lot of those "warm" states have summers that are super hot.

There is a trade off....for example, Houston....warm winter no doubt (even they get a few cold blasts),
but also have about 5 months of heavy heat and humidity. Think the warmest day in most of Canada
for months straight. And also the bugs that go with the warm humid conditions.

My mom worked at a very upscale store in Montreal and one of her best customers,
a very wealthy lady moved to Houston. A couple of years later my mom was surprised
to see her back, when asked why, she said she kept her home as clean as possible
but not matter how clean roaches were still a problem, after a couple of years she had enough and moved back to Montreal.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:04 PM

12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
BruSan, do you still spend six months a year in Florida (The United States)? Why not spend those six months in Saskatoon? Serious question.
You're deflecting his valid statements in his post. The fact that he spends time in Florida, has nothing to do with your assertions about Canada's winter, summer and the tundra.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:22 PM

18,321 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
One that has been asked before and answered aplenty.

Now at the age of 70, we spend winters in Florida where we can enjoy the golf we afind within our physical capabilities now and for the preceding 15 years or so all over the planet wherever we found a destination to our liking that was warm and offered those amenities we enjoyed.

Prior to that our travel was predominantly during the summer months to cooler locations of foreign cultural interest.

With seven weeks of vacation entitlement along with statuatory days and a full two weeks at Christmas we enjoyed a travel privilege known only to a minority of Canadians. Age ultimately dictated our travel patterns to the greatest degree.

When younger, we revelled in all the winter activities you can possibly imagine with hauling our snowmobiles and cross country/downhill ski gear all over the place. We've snowmobiled throughout Quebec and powder skied Whistler and above. Skated the Rideau and cross country skied the Rocky Mtn. foothills.

Were either of our health to deteriorate to the extent travel to a southern clime were no longer possible, we could quite happily remain in front of our fireplace and feed the bluejays.

"Abhorrent", "eight months of winter", these types of statements are just silly.

You should have asked if we would ever regret not having experienced a Canadian winter and that answer would have been a most emphatic "Oui". I cannot imagine living year round in one climate. We thoroughly enjoy and love the spring and fall like no other times of the year; patterning our travel plans so as to be present in Canada for those our entire lives.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:35 PM

12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
One that has been asked before and answered aplenty.

Now at the age of 70, we spend winters in Florida where we can enjoy the golf we afind within our physical capabilities now and for the preceding 15 years or so all over the planet wherever we found a destination to our liking that was warm and offered those amenities we enjoyed.

Prior to that our travel was predominantly during the summer months to cooler locations of foreign cultural interest.

With seven weeks of vacation entitlement along with statuatory days and a full two weeks at Christmas we enjoyed a travel privilege known only to a minority of Canadians. Age ultimately dictated our travel patterns to the greatest degree.

When younger, we revelled in all the winter activities you can possibly imagine with hauling our snowmobiles and cross country/downhill ski gear all over the place. We've snowmobiled throughout Quebec and powder skied Whistler and above. Skated the Rideau and cross country skied the Rocky Mtn. foothills.

Were either of our health to deteriorate to the extent travel to a southern clime were no longer possible, we could quite happily remain in front of our fireplace and feed the bluejays.

"Abhorrent", "eight months of winter", these types of statements are just silly.

You should have asked if we would ever regret not having experienced a Canadian winter and that answer would have been a most emphatic "Oui". I cannot imagine living year round in one climate. We thoroughly enjoy and love the spring and fall like no other times of the year; patterning our travel plans so as to be present in Canada for those our entire lives.
We often take a couple of weeks and head somewhere warm during the winter. In the years we don't, we rent a cabin, usually on the ocean on Vancouver Island, or up the coast from here in Garden Bay.
Sitting by fire, going for walks, watching the mist over the water and even an evening bonfire are just as enjoyable as sitting on a hot beach...if not more so.
I too can't imagine living in a climate that stayed the same, or close to it, all year round. Right now you can smell autumn in the air, just as you can all the seasons. It is time for a change of clothing, a change in our diet, and sitting inside on a rainy day reading.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:05 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Not really, jambo101. It starts in October/November and it doesn't let up until April/May. In some parts of the country, it can be longer.

Again, it is longer in my experience.

Cool temperatures do not always for pleasant temperatures make. Basically, if it's cold enough to have overnight frosts or if it's cold enough to have ice or snow by day, then it's winter.

The cold weather crowd quite frequently make this observation without seeming to understand that those who hate winter also cannot stand being out in the never-ending cold.

Right, but I've never suggested that Florida is the ideal alternative. Out of the deep freeze, into the deep fryer isn't a transition that I'd suggest most people should want to make. Many folks just want to live in places where there isn't snow and ice on the ground for five-to-six months of the year.

Fair enough. Florida's extreme heat and humidity can be hard to handle alright. Starting in May and continuing on through to September or so, much of Florida can be oppressively hot. That being said, people move en masse to Florida and places in the American south much more readily than they do to places in the colder half of the United States.

What starts in October? Leaves falling? Oh, so dreadful. I might have to bake a pumpkin pie to survive a Canadian "winter" in October and November. Goodness, I might even need to wear, gasp, a light sweater! Please. Most of Canada lives near the US border and has a very pleasant 4 seasons climate. Winters are cold, but God invented hockey for a reason, eh? Go put on yer skates and quit yer birchin'!

Old 09-27-2015, 06:32 PM

873 posts, read 816,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What starts in October? Leaves falling? Oh, so dreadful. I might have to bake a pumpkin pie to survive a Canadian "winter" in October and November. Goodness, I might even need to wear, gasp, a light sweater! Please. Most of Canada lives near the US border and has a very pleasant 4 seasons climate. Winters are cold, but God invented hockey for a reason, eh? Go put on yer skates and quit yer birchin'!
I agree I don't understand these complaints. They are most likely coming from Americans. Sure I'll complain about the odd -40 degree day when I'm standing outside waiting for the bus, but overall I don't really care about the cold winter as I'm used to it.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:30 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well said.. Its only a few days until October and today I was out with a friend for dinner and had beer on a patio.. We then burned off the calories going for a nice long walk through High Park at 830 pm I was over dressed with a sweater on and actually sweating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or