U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-28-2015, 10:53 AM
 
3,164 posts, read 2,092,148 times
Reputation: 1256

Advertisements

Quote:
And we are all contributing different viewpoints to that thread are we not? I'm responding to one of Botti's.
Yes but specifically you mentioned the (rather idiotic) concept of Canada being a failure because of its weather when you were talking to him....he never said that nor I think he even remotely think that....all Botti is saying (and I totally agree with) is that Canadian winters are not generally considered pleasant and that is the truth.


Quote:
While still having the option, we remained in Canada for the winter months; case re-opened.
The fact that you did does not means is not generally appealing to Canadians to move to a warmer climate...ask 10 people if they would agree to swap their place in Toronto with a similar house in San Diego (all things being equal economically and moving their friends and family) and see what happen.


Quote:
Yes we do AND consider ourselves fortunate beyond comprehension.

Here you go, you consider yourself fortunate beyond comprehension to have that option to move to a warmer locale that is not available to all Canadian seniors.


You did mention skiing and snowbiking...which is exactly the point I made several times before...snowy places are usually attractive for a specific outdoor activity.....people do not usually visit the Rockies in winter unless they go there to ski.....

I like to ski.....so give me a nice weekend in Whistler or Big White.....3 days or having fun....then fly me back home to San Diego please (theoretically, I live in Seattle)


Canada is not a failure because of its weather obviously but the weather make it less appealing than it could be and that has been acknowledged by immigration studies. Weather is generally an issue to think about for people considering moving to Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,790 posts, read 8,865,056 times
Reputation: 7379
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
From December??? Today later afternoon in Vancouver and Seattle we have already 10 degrees C or less....Calgary is 2......
Not sure where you are getting your forecasts from, but it certainly wasn't an afternoon high of 10C here in Vancouver yesterday. Also today looks pretty good and some nice days coming.

These are coastal temps, go a little inland and it's warmer.

You also know that even though we do and could get highs of 10C at this time of year, we also get highs of 13C or higher in January. Such is our climate.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,625 posts, read 11,160,104 times
Reputation: 10376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not sure where you are getting your forecasts from

This is the internet. There's no room for your "facts" here. Hyperbole, conjecture and heresay are what rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,790 posts, read 8,865,056 times
Reputation: 7379
Waiting to be called an insecure Canadian, or an egotistical one, let alone a blind patriot, for posting current weather facts.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-28-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,790 posts, read 8,865,056 times
Reputation: 7379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
This is the internet. There's no room for your "facts" here. Hyperbole, conjecture and heresay are what rule.
LOL. He may have been looking at an old forecast? Who knows. I do know, as I told Botti on another thread who was claiming Vancouver was raining all week, that those little cloud icons with rain coming out of them on internet forecasts have a " chance of" pricip" . The forecast was completely wrong. No rain at all here that week, but I couldn't convince him because he "saw" those little clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:19 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,348,151 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

Canada is not a failure because of its weather obviously but the weather make it less appealing than it could be and that has been acknowledged by immigration studies. Weather is generally an issue to think about for people considering moving to Canada.
This is such an obvious fact yet so many people contributed pages of posts to deny that, to refuse to admit they don't really like the cold and long winter when tens of thousands vote with feet each winter. I am speechless.

And I am so sick of this ski/snowboarding mentioning as if that is a strong advantage of living in colder weather. Seriously? let me analyze more

1) one doesn't need to suffer cold winter for the chance to ski. Drive 1-2 hours out of Los Angeles you have great place to snow. Vancouver is another example. While where the hell do you ski if you live in Winnipeg?

2) Ski is just a sport people do sometime, just like tennis or swimming. Ski isn't a lifestyle determining where you live. 80% of my colleagues claim they love skiing, but when really asked how often, it is usually 3 or 4 times the entire winter, and we are saying that makes living a cold city attractive? come on.

3) Ski is just one sport people enjoy when the environment makes it possible. Put in a different but warmer city, you might not be able to ski, but you can do 12 other interesting sports which you can't do in cold winters. I can play the tennis or basket in LA every single day of the year, can I do that in Toronto or Montreal? Swimming? Soccer? beach volleyball? There are far more summer sports than winter sports. Plus it is not like by living in a cold city you can walk to ski every afternoon. It is usually pretty far.

I definitely don't agree cold weather makes Canada a failure - that's absurd. But cold weather definitely decreases the quality and enjoyment of life of Canadians, and make it less attractive for highly skilled immigrants, and probably hinders Canada from realizing its full potential (so many places are undevelopable). The desperate efforts to deny these just because you are Canadian are just stupid and futile. No matter how many times you say "I love the cold weather" - all the travel/immigration pattern shows the vast majority of population on this planet hate the cold long winters and prefer somewhere milder. And importantly when I say people prefer mild climate, that includes people who like four seasons (like me). Having four seasons is completely different from having 5 months of bitterly cold winter under -10C - that's not called four seasons, that's called extreme weather.

Maybe four seasons are not enough to describe seasonable variations. We have five seasons: spring, summer, autumn, winter and Canadian winter. I am sure most people, including most Canadians don't enjoy Canadian winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,790 posts, read 8,865,056 times
Reputation: 7379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar; what a simplistic load of crappola. Nice opportunistic touch equating it to racism.

I've spent more winters in Canada than you've had hot meals Botti. That gives me all the credibility required to have an opinion contrary to the whining about a country being a fail due to it's climate.

One could surmise anyone living in the heart of a thriving city has less relevance to discuss winter months than people actually having to commute in concert with snowplow route timing as a daily consideration.

When was the last time you had to chain up to get over the hump between you and the next town?

You crack me up!
I may frame and hang this on my wall. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:27 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,348,151 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I may frame and hang this on my wall. LOL
when he had to, not chose to.

I know you guys are internet buddies, but honestly, you don't have to agree with/support each other on EVERYTHING. When you always agree, at least one of your opinion becomes completely irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,367 posts, read 10,407,379 times
Reputation: 5440
wow, can't believe this thread is still going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,790 posts, read 8,865,056 times
Reputation: 7379
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is such an obvious fact yet so many people contributed pages of posts to deny that, to refuse to admit they don't really like the cold and long winter when tens of thousands vote with feet each winter. I am speechless.

And I am so sick of this ski/snowboarding mentioning as if that is a strong advantage of living in colder weather. Seriously? let me analyze more

1) one doesn't need to suffer cold winter for the chance to ski. Drive 1-2 hours out of Los Angeles you have great place to snow. Vancouver is another example. While where the hell do you ski if you live in Winnipeg?

2) Ski is just a sport people do sometime, just like tennis or swimming. Ski isn't a lifestyle determining where you live. 80% of my colleagues claim they love skiing, but when really asked how often, it is usually 3 or 4 times the entire winter, and we are saying that makes living a cold city attractive? come on.

3) Ski is just one sport people enjoy when the environment makes it possible. Put in a different but warmer city, you might not be able to ski, but you can do 12 other interesting sports which you can't do in cold winters. I can play the tennis or basket in LA every single day of the year, can I do that in Toronto or Montreal? Swimming? Soccer? beach volleyball? There are far more summer sports than winter sports. Plus it is not like by living in a cold city you can walk to ski every afternoon. It is usually pretty far.

I definitely don't agree cold weather makes Canada a failure - that's absurd. But cold weather definitely decreases the quality and enjoyment of life of Canadians, and make it less attractive for highly skilled immigrants, and probably hinders Canada from realizing its full potential (so many places are undevelopable). The desperate efforts to deny these just because you are Canadian are just stupid and futile. No matter how many times you say "I love the cold weather" - all the travel/immigration pattern shows the vast majority of population on this planet hate the cold long winters and prefer somewhere milder. And importantly when I say people prefer mild climate, that includes people who like four seasons (like me). Having four seasons is completely different from having 5 months of bitterly cold winter under -10C - that's not called four seasons, that's called extreme weather.

Maybe four seasons are not enough to describe seasonable variations. We have five seasons: spring, summer, autumn, winter and Canadian winter. I am sure most people, including most Canadians don't enjoy Canadian winter.
Not surprising since you aren't from here. It's not in your DNA.How many childhood memories do you have of building snow forts and snowmen? You most likely didn't go on school skiing trips, or night skiing after school, like we do in Vancouver, since skiing and winter sports are right across the harbour. If you live downtown it's a 20 minute bus ride.
For cities that don't have ski hills nearby, people can still do a myriad of winter sports. Winter doesn't stop us.

From what I've gathered from these threads, the Canadians here are not denying Canada has cold winters. What we are denying is that people here a dying to get out of the country because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top