U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 01:36 PM

6,068 posts, read 3,397,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I agree I don't understand these complaints. They are most likely coming from Americans. Sure I'll complain about the odd -40 degree day when I'm standing outside waiting for the bus, but overall I don't really care about the cold winter as I'm used to it.
Well I'm American, raised in South Florida so an American from the HOT south, and I love the cold and believe or not, the northern half of Texas does have four seasons, including snow (maybe only a week or so but still, it happens!) and it's so much better than constant heat. I do wish I was in a climate more similar to Canada though. A more colourful, colder fall, consistent snow cover. I don't wish to be in Yellowknife either, I don't want constant Arctic weather, but the kind of winters where most Canadians live in, highs in 20s and 30s Fahrenheit and lows between the teens and single digits Fahrenheit, those are ideal to me.

I don't understand people who absolutely LOATHE snow to the point where they never want it even for a single day. How can you not even want it on Christmas? I have a very positive outlook towards mother nature, though. The cold doesn't bother me, the heat does to a point, but not as much as pollution and environmental destruction, and Canada is blessed with very clean air and water. Sadly, can't say the same for Texas or other places in the US, like southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well I'm American, raised in South Florida so an American from the HOT south, and I love the cold and believe or not, the northern half of Texas does have four seasons, including snow (maybe only a week or so but still, it happens!) and it's so much better than constant heat. I do wish I was in a climate more similar to Canada though. A more colourful, colder fall, consistent snow cover. I don't wish to be in Yellowknife either, I don't want constant Arctic weather, but the kind of winters where most Canadians live in, highs in 20s and 30s Fahrenheit and lows between the teens and single digits Fahrenheit, those are ideal to me.

I don't understand people who absolutely LOATHE snow to the point where they never want it even for a single day. How can you not even want it on Christmas? I have a very positive outlook towards mother nature, though. The cold doesn't bother me, the heat does to a point, but not as much as pollution and environmental destruction, and Canada is blessed with very clean air and water. Sadly, can't say the same for Texas or other places in the US, like southern California.

The fact is that as an American you can move to a place with a similar weather pattern to Canada if you wish so but a Canadian cannot do that if he wish to move to a place like Texas or Florida....

Old 09-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne_gauthier View Post
What a big circle jerk. People here pretend that deneb is the crazy one but only a complete idiot is so stupid to think that the climate in Canada is not one of the very worst that exists in this earth. I wonder why Canadians flock to warm places if Canadian meteorologie is so nice. Do you see people leaving in cars to bronze themselves in the sun of Yellowknife? I don't see it.

Four seasons? Only an idiot actually believes anywhere in Canada has real 4 seasons. More like two seasons. Winter and not winter. I am confident enough to say that the climate is one of the biggest negatives of Canada. I think everyone who isn't a mindless robot knows this. Ask anyone from any country in the world what comes to mind when they think of Canada. It is not a balanced climate.

Really? Because I know the first response to smallest criticisms is to say that it's just Americans. Think GM10, the US is the second coldest country in the Americas. Do you think people in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Argentina, Uruguay should I go on, do you think they find Canada inhabitable? Most humans will never consider to live in Canada only thanks to the climate. For my job we work internationally and it is a very common question that "how do you live in such a cold place". When I tell people the climate they are almost always shocked look.

Snow starts in October. I will never understand the common mentality of "love it or leave it". If you think Canada has a bad climate that makes you a human being not a bad person. Anyone who thinks Canada has a "pleasant" climate is either an idiot or lying. Usually just lying because we have no other option to pick.
How often? There are many places as cold as Canada in the US, like Minneapolis, and even there snow in October is like a once every few years thing. It very rarely sticks and most of the month is mild with warm days and cold nights. Our Novembers in Northern Texas are the same as your Octobers in terms of temperature, and yes, it CAN snow here in November, but no one calls it "snowy" just cuz it does every few years for a day or two. Even if it does snow, so what? Are you gonna die from a few flurries? Canadians and Americans survive snowy winters every year. The only real hazard is driving, and if you learn how to handle in it, which everyone can, you'll be fine.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 10,326,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The climate in Canada is absolutely abhorrent for at least four months of the year, and I'd say winter lasts for about 8 months. You also don't get a real summer, except for a quick glimpse of something resembling summer in certain exceptionally warm areas like Toronto and Montreal. Either way, I really have to wonder why the comparison always jumps to Canada vs. Florida, as if Florida's climate is the only alternative Canada.

Like you, I'm not sure if it's an act of blind patriotism or what. It seems to be the "Canada is a utopia" crowd that immediately jumps to defend Canada's really quite abysmal climate. When the areas 2 hours north of you are basically tundra and taiga that are more or less free of human habitation, that's a pretty good indicator that you live in a very rough climate.

You might want to go back and check some geography of Canada out. Certainly doesn't look like Taiga or Tundra to me. Looks rather nice.

https://goo.gl/maps/EBbi87tGuum

https://goo.gl/maps/fx7SqSVSps72

Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Yes but specifically you mentioned the (rather idiotic) concept of Canada being a failure because of its weather when you were talking to him....he never said that nor I think he even remotely think that....all Botti is saying (and I totally agree with) is that Canadian winters are not generally considered pleasant and that is the truth.

The fact that you did does not means is not generally appealing to Canadians to move to a warmer climate...ask 10 people if they would agree to swap their place in Toronto with a similar house in San Diego (all things being equal economically and moving their friends and family) and see what happen.

Here you go, you consider yourself fortunate beyond comprehension to have that option to move to a warmer locale that is not available to all Canadian seniors.

You did mention skiing and snowbiking...which is exactly the point I made several times before...snowy places are usually attractive for a specific outdoor activity.....people do not usually visit the Rockies in winter unless they go there to ski.....

I like to ski.....so give me a nice weekend in Whistler or Big White.....3 days or having fun....then fly me back home to San Diego please (theoretically, I live in Seattle)

Canada is not a failure because of its weather obviously but the weather make it less appealing than it could be and that has been acknowledged by immigration studies. Weather is generally an issue to think about for people considering moving to Canada.
Less appealing to SOME. That is the crux of these to and fro's. Not "all" as would be the case if we bought into the premise that those who would agree or compromise with your bolded statement as being "insecure", "lying"and "idiots". That is what I'm taking issue with.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 10,326,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I agree I don't understand these complaints. They are most likely coming from Americans. Sure I'll complain about the odd -40 degree day when I'm standing outside waiting for the bus, but overall I don't really care about the cold winter as I'm used to it.

Not really. The thread was started by person from Vancouver. Many Americans live in northern states which have a similar climate, and they haven't been on here bashing the climate of Canada. Climate is what it is, we can't change it. I wish my climate was more like Naples, Italy, but not gonna happen. I like cooler temps after a hot summer. I admit I don't like below average winters like the last two. But an average winter doesn't bother me too much. Heck, I was in Toronto in Feb one year and people were still out and about in restaurants and I had fun. It's not like many cities in Canada shut down for the winter. Not at all.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
when he had to, not chose to.

I know you guys are internet buddies, but honestly, you don't have to agree with/support each other on EVERYTHING. When you always agree, at least one of your opinion becomes completely irrelevant.
Oh botti! Stop being so churlish and contrary for the sake of contrariness alone.

I've never been forced to spend a winter in Canada since the late 60's. I chose to. You'd know this if you bothered to read and credit my posts with the same temerity you expect of yours.

Now right back at you botti ...when you always contest for no other reason but to provide your signature controversy you lose credibility.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Early to mid fall, sure. Late fall is not so nice in most of Canada.
Most Canadians do not live in most of Canada lol they live in the southern parts. Southern Canada's late fall is like what, 40s to 20s F? That's beautiful weather. I love it most between 10 F to 65 F. (-12 to 18 C)

You know what's not so nice to me? 88 F/31 C like last November in Miami. I lived in Miami from infancy to adulthood. Had enough never ending heat, thank you. I love forward to Mid-Autumn down to Mid-Spring in Texas, with winter being very nice. Not because it's warm relative to Canada, but because it's cold relative to Florida!

Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
[quote=saturno_v;41365368]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturno View Post

Nice try to twist my words...all I said that when I did check the temp around 7 PM it was shown 10 C not that it was all they could get.....and this year summer has been particularly good.

There was nothing to "challenge"....

by the way...end of September is getting you 29 C in Austin at this moment, 27 in San Diego....
"From December??? Today later afternoon in Vancouver and Seattle we have already 10 degrees C or less....Calgary is 2......"

is what you posted. "Today later afternoon"

No one is twisting what you said.

As for Austin and SD, so? What has that got to with anything in relation to this thread? You think I don't know that there are places that are currently warmer?

What you and some other seem to be missing, is the fact, some of us ENJOY cooler weather. I"m loving the temps in Vancouver right now. I've had enough warm weather this summer to satisfy me.
I'm ready for fall and winter. Bring on the rainstorms !!

Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,075,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Less appealing to SOME. That is the crux of these to and fro's. Not "all" as would be the case if we bought into the premise that those who would agree or compromise with your bolded statement as being "insecure", "lying"and "idiots". That is what I'm taking issue with.

I never said that....but Canada weather (winters) is a problem for some....it is undeniable....it's like me trying to convince you that Italy is a bureaucratic paradise (it is not and I'm born and raised in Italy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or