U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM

6,087 posts, read 3,404,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The fact is that as an American you can move to a place with a similar weather pattern to Canada if you wish so but a Canadian cannot do that if he wish to move to a place like Texas or Florida....
That is true, but I think most of Canada's population lives in places with more pleasant weathers than the deep south in the US and desert southwest. Old northerners flock to the south, especially Florida, for warm weather, but many native southerners look forward to cooler weather, and I know many Floridians who end up moving to the mountains of Tennessee/North Carolina because they want to be close to family but have colder weather than back home. I do appreciate the US's diversity in geography and climate, but I also believe southern Canada has way nicer weather than the southern US. So many people who spent their childhoods in the south wish they had the opportunity to have white Christmases, make snowmen and jump in leaf piles. I sure wish I did, and my children definitely will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM

12,704 posts, read 8,782,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You might want to go back and check some geography of Canada out. Certainly doesn't look like Taiga or Tundra to me. Looks rather nice.

https://goo.gl/maps/EBbi87tGuum

https://goo.gl/maps/fx7SqSVSps72
Hobbs to be fair, actually hasn't seen much of Canada at all. Toronto and bit of Quebec I believe. His understanding of the landscape is obviously terribly misinformed.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:01 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,077,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

is what you posted. "Today later afternoon"

No one is twisting what you said.
Yes yo did twisted or did not get the sense of my reply.....that person claimed it was cold from December...no it's cold from way before December...temperatures in the 10s are not warm weather in my book....maybe for you are pleasant, not for me and others.

Quote:
What you and some other seem to be missing, is the fact, some of us ENJOY cooler weather. I"m loving the temps in Vancouver right now. I've had enough warm weather this summer to satisfy me.
I'm ready for fall and winter. Bring on the rainstorms !!
We do not miss it, we get it perfectly...some of you do, some don't...and the ones that don't do not have many choices in Canada....period.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:03 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,403,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Most Canadians do not live in most of Canada lol they live in the southern parts. Southern Canada's late fall is like what, 40s to 20s F? That's beautiful weather. I love it most between 10 F to 65 F. (-12 to 18 C)
Temperatures at that time of year in most the densely inhabited parts of Canada are above freezing but nowhere near warm. It's often grey and rainy, sometimes with freezing rain or sleet. Crap like that. There are no leaves in the trees, grass is brown or yellow.

In late November I am actually eager for it to snow.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:05 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,077,194 times
Quote:
So many people who spent their childhoods in the south wish they had the opportunity to have white Christmases, make snowmen and jump in leaf piles. I sure wish I did, and my children definitely will!
I like a white Christmas too and make snowmen...again few days are ok....an entire winter no....

I think it would be an interesting experience for you to spend a winter in Calgary or Toronto.....

Old 09-28-2015, 02:07 PM

12,704 posts, read 8,782,287 times
Quote:
Yes yo did twisted or did not get the sense of my reply.....that person claimed it was cold from December...no it's cold from way before December...temperatures in the 10s are not warm weather in my book....maybe for you are pleasant, not for me and others.

We do not miss it, we get it perfectly...some of you do, some don't...and the ones that don't do not have many choices in Canada....period.
Nah. Read the posts. Apparently those of us who like different seasons and cooler weather are "blind patriots" etc.

Why even in your posts you mention the fact that currently it's warmer in Austin and SD than here? Is that suppose to some sort of enticement for me? To make me realize, " Alas, I'm a fool. I don't really like cooler weather, nice autumn days, rainstorms etc?" If only I had " choices " within Canada I would move to a warmer place like they do in the US. I mean, they have options and that is why the whole eastern seaboard of the US has emptied out and Americans are all living in Florida, Arizona, parts of Texas and SoCal. NYC, Boston's populations have seen the light and have gone.
Poor people in Toronto and Montreal. No choice, but to stay.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:09 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
[quote=Natnasci;41365811]
Quote:

What you and some other seem to be missing, is the fact, some of us ENJOY cooler weather. I"m loving the temps in Vancouver right now. I've had enough warm weather this summer to satisfy me.
I'm ready for fall and winter. Bring on the rainstorms !!
Cooler is fine and I can appreciate that many prefer it. I hate it when it is above 28C too. If the entire Canada has Vancouver's daily average throughout the year, nobody will say Canada has horrible weather. But the lower mainland is only a small part of Canada.

But this thread is about Canada in general, not Vancouver. I don't think anyone is longing for the 4-5 months of winter with 30 days below -15 degrees. This is what makes people think Canada has bad weather.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:13 PM

18,333 posts, read 10,407,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Actually BruSan and I don't agree on everything. Politically were are different and there were some other things as well.

Doesn't mean when we agree, we can't comment on that.

Don't feel persecuted Botti.
You have hit the bullseye once again. On some things we are at polar opposites but good old Canadian respect for right of opinions expressed, without hyperbole and character aspersions, wins the day.

When people start with the "idiot", "lying" and "insecure" nonsense simply for expressing an opinion not agreed upon; they should expect to get doofus, boob and numbnutz in return. Just say'n.

For the life of me I cannot fathom the import placed upon the decisions to live in a 600 sq/ft condo leading one to castigate those who wouldn't choose to live in the same way. You live the way you want and let others do the same without lobbing missiles at the lifestyle and everyone gets along just fine.

Now; it's onto not liking the weather of a particular season leading to anyone suggesting they do like it, as being somehow guilty of obfuscation of some kind at the very least.

WHY is this childish nonsense even considered debate worthy?

Someone starting a thread that Canada has too many lakes (among the vast tracts of tundra and taiga) would probably be given credibility and lauded for their courage at expressing a controversial viewpoint that would cause insecurity among white anglo saxon old pharts.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:15 PM

6,087 posts, read 3,404,486 times
Quote:
I like a white Christmas too and make snowmen...again few days are ok....an entire winter no....

I think it would be an interesting experience for you to spend a winter in Calgary or Toronto.....
I am moving to Minnesota after school anyway. I would have moved there already but I came to Texas first for personal romantic reasons. I don't mind it for 3 months. I might get sick of it by March, but it's okay, because in a few weeks it will be greener and warmer anyway.

I like the climate of northern and western Texas. The heat lasts a long time, but there is still an actual fall and the hot weather is gone in October. The heat lasts here as long as freezing cold does in Canada. I prefer cold weather anyway, so if I can survive 3 and a half months of intense heat in Texas, I can survive that same length in Canada or the upper Midwest. Early and Mid-Summer don't bother me in Texas either, it's late summer and early fall where I start to hate hot weather. Same with the cold. I am sure by March I am sick of snow, but it's okay because April is coming and then May. Canadians are blessed with variety. Living in Florida all my life, I learned to HATE the heat. I also sweat a lot, but it takes VERY cold temperatures for me to be uncomfortable, and it's not a matter of how cold, but how I am dressed. Obviously being in the 20s F while wearing summer clothes, I'll be freezing and miserable after 10 minutes, but dressed reasonably, I can be outside for a long time, and if I want a break, go inside to a heated building for a little bit and then back outside. Winter is a piece of cake for the most part. You can dress for the cold, you can only undress for the heat. And at some point, you can't take off anymore clothes

Old 09-28-2015, 02:15 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
That is true, but I think most of Canada's population lives in places with more pleasant weathers than the deep south in the US and desert southwest. Old northerners flock to the south, especially Florida, for warm weather, but many native southerners look forward to cooler weather, and I know many Floridians who end up moving to the mountains of Tennessee/North Carolina because they want to be close to family but have colder weather than back home. I do appreciate the US's diversity in geography and climate, but I also believe southern Canada has way nicer weather than the southern US. So many people who spent their childhoods in the south wish they had the opportunity to have white Christmases, make snowmen and jump in leaf piles. I sure wish I did, and my children definitely will!
all you said is fair and true, but the difference is, if an American hates the south, he can move to Minnesota or Illinois, and if one hates the cold north, he can move to California or New Mexico.

But a Canadian who hates cold long winters has nowhere to move to. Isn't it the topic under discussion here? Nobody is saying "hot is good, cold is bad", countries like the US offers a place for each one with difference preferences. Canada doesn't. Do you agree that or not? Or you are trying to convince people heat is bad, let's all embrace the coldness?

Yes, many southerners may wish a white Christmas, maybe for 3 or 4 days a year. It is fun and beautiful. But please ask them if they wish 50 snowy days and dangerous commute on the road every year, plus all the weather related flight cancellations. What do you think their respond will be.

Get real. We don't just have white Christmases. We have white December, January, February, and possible white March and white April. What do you think about that? Still want love white??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or