U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-28-2015, 04:36 PM
 
18,359 posts, read 10,426,450 times
Reputation: 13432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
BruSan...put it in this way...because of the weather you can turn a totally flat, completely uninteresting piece of semi desert Arizona corner into a cute community with golf courses, gardens, shops and whatever (as long as you have access to water) that will attract someone from the north...try to do that in Yukon or NWT.....

Places like Las Vegas or Palm Spring are what they are mainly because of their warm weather....try to create a Las Vegas in the Prairies...
I agree with that. Athough most Vegas activities and attractions are all indoors in a controlled environment. Sorta like West Edmonton Mall.

Here's an interesting link since Florida keeps coming up. pages 5,6 & 7 are interesting reading.

http://archive.news-press.com/assets...4536321212.PDF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2015, 04:39 PM
 
18,359 posts, read 10,426,450 times
Reputation: 13432
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I see that the same handful of boosters are still resorting to throwing around insults when someone disagrees with them. Canada is cold, this isn't exactly a revelation. No amount of arguing online will change that fact.
Yeah; we took exception to those "any country but Canada" boosters using those "lying", "idiot" and "insecure" insults also. Good call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 04:56 PM
 
3,156 posts, read 2,080,556 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I agree with that. Athough most Vegas activities and attractions are all indoors in a controlled environment. Sorta like West Edmonton Mall.

I would argue that one of the major attraction year round is the stroll along the strip in Vegas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 05:21 PM
 
18,359 posts, read 10,426,450 times
Reputation: 13432
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I would argue that one of the major attraction year round is the stroll along the strip in Vegas....
Agreed once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Amazing though, that you still got it wrong. Tundra 2 hours north for example. Anyone reading all your posts would come to the conclusion you are little book smart on Canada, much less so on actual life experience of Canada.
It's the second experience that makes on truly know a place.
As part of the '4' I guess (proud of it too lol) in red is bang on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
To say Toronto has 8 months of winter is imbecile for sure.

I think I have been more than fair in talking about climate here. Cities like Toronto and Montreal have 5 months of great weather, 2 months of cool weather, 3 months of regular winter (March, Nov, and Dec) and 2 months of horrible Canadian winter that not many human being would say they don't hate.

On the other hand, it is just so fake for some people to say "it is just winter. It is just four seasons" as if the extreme low temperature doesn't affect our lives whatsoever, as if he spends 8 hours a day every day skiing.
Actually I think this is a fair post and I agree with it.. I also don't think we have ideal weather - its just not as bad as some are contending.. Personally, I'd HATE living in Bangkok or Singapore year round.. I'd be demanding a Songkran festival everyday!

2 months of horrible weather is fair and in Jan/Feb you won't see me outside enjoying the weather I agree - I will take my two weeks vacation and go somewhere! KLM/AFR great seat sales for Jan/Feb!! Don't say I didn't think of ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,300,838 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually I think this is a fair post and I agree with it.. I also don't think we have ideal weather - its just not as bad as some are contending.. Personally, I'd HATE living in Bangkok or Singapore year round.. I'd be demanding a Songkran festival everyday!

2 months of horrible weather is fair and in Jan/Feb you won't see me outside enjoying the weather I agree - I will take my two weeks vacation and go somewhere! KLM/AFR great seat sales for Jan/Feb!! Don't say I didn't think of ya!
I agree with you Fusion. Bangkoks weather is unbearably hot. I simply hated it. Singapores is extremely boring with no variation. I would choose Toronto's weather over either of those.

Even Shanghais weather, not a tropical city, is quite bad. Summer is insufferably muggy and long. Instead of four months of cold winter, they just have four months of hot and humid summer, not the Toronto kind of summer but more like one month of 35+ and four months of 30+, all with high humidity. And their Jan/Feb are like our Nov/dec, not exactly warm either.

It is just silly to see people denying Canada generally has brutal winters though. Such simple facts, not even worth debate, yet a bunch of them keep saying "it is not bad! I like the cool and the snow". Why bother?

I will definitely get away this winter again. Thanks for reminding me as always!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree with you Fusion. Bangkoks weather is unbearably hot. I simply hated it. Singapores is extremely boring with no variation. I would choose Toronto's weather over either of those.

Even Shanghais weather, not a tropical city, is quite bad. Summer is insufferably muggy and long. Instead of four months of cold winter, they just have four months of hot and humid summer, not the Toronto kind of summer but more like one month of 35+ and four months of 30+, all with high humidity. And their Jan/Feb are like our Nov/dec, not exactly warm either.

It is just silly to see people denying Canada generally has brutal winters though. Such simple facts, not even worth debate, yet a bunch of them keep saying "it is not bad! I like the cool and the snow". Why bother?

I will definitely get away this winter again. Thanks for reminding me as always!
Oh i'm not denying the brutal winter here - i'm just saying you can't just focus on that and exclude the weather for the rest of the year.. Really though isn't this obvious that Canada has cold winters - like its taken 30 plus pages to come to this conclusion and like I said at the beginning I say now, the point of this tread is? We all know that Canada has cold winters - we all know there are places with more pleasant weather options.. With that said, sometimes you play the cards you're dealt with and make the best of it so heck ya - i'm gonna go tobogganing here and there, get into snowball fights and just make angels again like I'm 8 years old and enjoy the snow - why not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 12:00 PM
 
18,359 posts, read 10,426,450 times
Reputation: 13432
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I agree with you Fusion. Bangkoks weather is unbearably hot. I simply hated it. Singapores is extremely boring with no variation. I would choose Toronto's weather over either of those.

Even Shanghais weather, not a tropical city, is quite bad. Summer is insufferably muggy and long. Instead of four months of cold winter, they just have four months of hot and humid summer, not the Toronto kind of summer but more like one month of 35+ and four months of 30+, all with high humidity. And their Jan/Feb are like our Nov/dec, not exactly warm either.

It is just silly to see people denying Canada generally has brutal winters though. Such simple facts, not even worth debate, yet a bunch of them keep saying "it is not bad! I like the cool and the snow". Why bother?

I will definitely get away this winter again. Thanks for reminding me as always!
Botti; it's not a denial of the fact; it's an admonishment to consider the adjectives used. "Brutal" says to me you don't go out in it at all, at risk of having your nose drop off.

My posts have been intended to show that for some of us at least, the winter offers opportunities for enjoyment in the same way you can enjoy surfing or snorkelling.

Have you ever attended the Caribana Festival? http://www.caribanatoronto.com/familyevents

Ever once ask yourself if all those folks rush back to the Caribbean during the winter months?

Having said all of that; the number of people I've known in my lifetime that would desire 12 months of a typical Canadian winter, counted using your fingers, would fit in a thimble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 12:45 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,300,838 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

My posts have been intended to show that for some of us at least, the winter offers opportunities for enjoyment in the same way you can enjoy surfing or snorkelling.

.
Actually this is something I disagree with strongly. So many times people are arguing "winter has its advantages, you can ski etc etc." Really?

Besides a few winter sports such as ski, snowboarding, skating, what are the other "opportunities for enjoyment"? I am all ears.

In other seasons, let's say anytime above 10 degrees, you can play a hundred different outdoor sports. You can walk comfortably on the streets. You can bike, roller-skating. You can window shopping. You can eat in the patio. Anything related to water. You can have all kinds of outdoor events, none of which is possible during the 4-5 months of Canadian winter. And you are saying the opportunity of 3 or 4 winter sports can fully compensate for all those?

Right now, I play the tennis 3-4 times a week. Does ANYONE out there go skiing 3-4 times a week in the winter?

In the winter, even something like buying the groceries becomes a hassle. Right now, I can walk 10-15 minutes to metro or Loblaw's any time I want some juice or a bar of chocolate. In the winter, no, 10-15 minutes of walk involves putting on all sorts of winter clothes, and bearing the biting cold temperature and wind, and sometimes treading in the dirty snow, something I try to avoid as much as possible. Call me a wuss but nobody likes to walk under that kind of weather.

Ask yourself, what kind of "winter enjoyment" Canadians really get to have, and does it offset even 2% of the missed enjoyment they could have in a warmer climate.

And I am not even mentioning the delays, accidents associated with snow. And the fact there are no green trees or flowers in the winter. What we get in return, magic snow?

To pretend winter sports is some sort of advantage about living in Canada is pure hallucination. You get one the chance to have one activity and loses 100, congrats! Winter is not bad!

Let's be honest, weather is nothing but a huge drawback about living in (most of) Canada. But that doesn't mean Canada is not livable (as someone suggests in a dramatic manner) because life is so much more than just good weather. We still get to enjoy life despite the unfavourable climate. But let's not sugar coat things. The Canadian winter greatly affects our enjoyment of life in a negative way and there is no way to deny that and no matter how many winter activities you do.

Last edited by botticelli; 09-29-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top