U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 01:01 PM

34,522 posts, read 41,678,804 times

Advertisements

botticelli I'll presume you do nothing for this claimed 8 month a year winter except dream of warmer weather where you can then all of a sudden play a hundred different outdoor sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 01:11 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,318,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
botticelli I'll presume you do nothing for this claimed 8 month a year winter except dream of warmer weather where you can then all of a sudden play a hundred different outdoor sports.
Only a fool would claim we have 8 months of winter a year.

But during the 4 months of actual winter, my options are quite limited. Those who claim winter can be so fun, enlighten me what opportunities are there - please don't tell me to go ski - it is so cliché. I want to hear something that I can do on a daily basis, at least every weekend, without having to drive a car to somewhere 100 km away.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 27,481,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

But during the 4 months of actual winter, my options are quite limited. Those who claim winter can be so fun, enlighten me what opportunities are there - please don't tell me to go ski - it is so cliché. I want to hear something that I can do on a daily basis, at least every weekend, without having to drive a car to somewhere 100 km away.
Cross-country ski! Ice skating at the local outdoor rink!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 2,084,487 times
Quote:
Actually this is something I disagree with strongly. So many times people are arguing "winter has its advantages, you can ski etc etc." Really?

Besides a few winter sports such as ski, snowboarding, skating, what are the other "opportunities for enjoyment"? I am all ears.

In other seasons, let's say anytime above 10 degrees, you can play a hundred different outdoor sports. You can walk comfortably on the streets. You can bike, roller-skating. You can window shopping. You can eat in the patio. Anything related to water. You can have all kinds of outdoor events, none of which is possible during the 4-5 months of Canadian winter. And you are saying the opportunity of 3 or 4 winter sports can fully compensate for all those?

I have to agree.......you can have some specific fun snowy winter activities and many of them are physically tasking and potentially dangerous (skiing)

Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,013,332 times
Quote:
Actually this is something I disagree with strongly. So many times people are arguing "winter has its advantages, you can ski etc etc." Really?

Besides a few winter sports such as ski, snowboarding, skating, what are the other "opportunities for enjoyment"? I am all ears.
Ice hockey, curling, broomball, downhill skiing, crosscountry skiing, telemark skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, tobagganing, snowball fights, sledding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, dogsled racing, skeleton luge, ski jumping, biathlons, nordic combined, ice swimming, snow rugby, snow wrestling, snow capture the flag, snow poker, ice drag racing, and so on. So much to do Botticelli!

Quote:
Right now, I play the tennis 3-4 times a week. Does ANYONE out there go skiing 3-4 times a week in the winter?
In British Columbia--yes, all the time. We can play the skiing or play the snowboarding all the time.

Quote:
And I am not even mentioning the delays, accidents associated with snow. And the fact there are no green trees or flowers in the winter. What we get in return, magic snow?
Snow is magical, it really is.

Quote:
To pretend winter sports is some sort of advantage about living in Canada is pure hallucination. You get one the chance to have one activity and loses 100, congrats! Winter is not bad!
If powder days at Whistler are a hallucination, I'll take some more of whatever I was taking.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 PM

5,710 posts, read 6,567,068 times
Well, I mostly just shiver and pray for an early spring. To each his own.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:08 PM

18,371 posts, read 10,447,721 times
Quote:

For crying out loud Botti; we've been trying for the better part of 350 posts now to educate you and you come back with skiing being "so cliché". How does one go about convincing you that they place as much enjoyment factor on skiing as someone living in the Bahamas would on snorkelling or just laying on the beach?

It's apparent you've got a closed mind on this and will never accredit just one of the winter activities enjoyed by millions as having any merit against your declared dislike for winter.

Bombardier company owes it's genesis to folks getting some fun out winter and paying for the privilege.

When I was in my twenties I chose to travel home on leave from the Navy via train, rather than fly and be there in hours, simply to go through the Rocky Mountain passes to view them at night in the winter from the scenic dome car, a winter vista I've never seen the equal of since.

Opening one's mind would be helpful.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Ice hockey, curling, broomball, downhill skiing, crosscountry skiing, telemark skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, tobagganing, snowball fights, sledding, snowmobiling, ice fishing, dogsled racing, skeleton luge, ski jumping, biathlons, nordic combined, ice swimming, snow rugby, snow wrestling, snow capture the flag, snow poker, ice drag racing, and so on. So much to do Botticelli!
How many of these are what I can do regularly after work, just like I play the tennis or go swimming? How many of these are what I can do without leaving the city of Toronto?

You are kidding yourself if you think this list is impressive.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
For crying out loud Botti; we've been trying for the better part of 350 posts now to educate you and you come back with skiing being "so cliché". How does one go about convincing you that they place as much enjoyment factor on skiing as someone living in the Bahamas would on snorkelling or just laying on the beach?

It's apparent you've got a closed mind on this and will never accredit just one of the winter activities enjoyed by millions as having any merit against your declared dislike for winter.

Bombardier company owes it's genesis to folks getting some fun out winter and paying for the privilege.

When I was in my twenties I chose to travel home on leave from the Navy via train, rather than fly and be there in hours, simply to go through the Rocky Mountain passes to view them at night in the winter from the scenic dome car, a winter vista I've never seen the equal of since.

Opening one's mind would be helpful.
Actually I am seriously asking what enjoyment of winter I may have without leaving the city.

Can you provide advice?

Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM

34,522 posts, read 41,678,804 times
Quote:

Obviously with your attitude theres nothing we can suggest you do in the "long horrible Canadian winter" except sit in your abode and wait it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or