U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 12:19 PM

12,690 posts, read 8,753,261 times

Advertisements

I happen to love the climate I live in. Granted I am in Vancouver and admit I would dislike really cold and snowy winters.

I couldn't live anywhere though where the climate is much the same throughout the year.

As for the OP, your statement is misplaced. It's not Canada that's the issue, but you and what you prefer.

Speaking of which, you just mention warmer. Are you looking for dry warmth like Phoenix which gets too hot for even the locals in summer? Or are you looking for warm places that have rainy seasons and monsoons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
good try. You had to go back to 21BC to find slavery in China. It is so similar to slavery in the 17th, 18th and 19th century. Good work!

And do you know what the "minority group" that still had slavery in 1950 is? That's a place called Tibet, you know, the "paradise" all the western countries claim should be free (China abolished slavery after taking it over); and the largest slave owner is called "Dalai Lama" - the Nobel Peace Prize winner.

More googling will be tell you all the truth, not just the pieces you want to see.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
-the location and climate of Canada is what drove how Canada turned out, for better or worse. The history would be so different if Canada had Brazil or Jamaica-like climatic regions, that it wouldn't be close to what Canada is today.
yes, you view is the location and climate is for the better and I think it is for the worse.

Yes, the history of Canada would be different if it had a different climate, but I think Canada would be a better place to live with a better climate. You seems to suggest "thank god we have bad weather".

Old 09-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
good try. You had to go back to 21BC to find slavery in China. It is so similar to slavery in the 17th, 18th and 19th century. Good work!

And do you know what the "minority group" that still had slavery in 1950 is? That's a place called Tibet, you know, the "paradise" all the western countries claim should be free (China abolished slavery after taking it over); and the largest slave owner is called "Dalai Lama" - the Nobel Peace Prize winner.

More googling will be tell you all the truth, not just the pieces you want to see.
What do you mean " nice try " ?

I think I blew your statement out of the water. You did say

"Or China or Japan for that matter. These countries have large subtropical areas and thousands of years of history yet never had a history of slavery. "

and I just proved you wrong.

If we wanted to get really nitty and gritty we could talk about modern day slavery, which is different that old time slavery, but still slavery. It exist in China and elsewhere to this day.

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/artic...lion-worldwide

Old 09-21-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
yes, you view is the location and climate is for the better and I think it is for the worse.

Yes, the history of Canada would be different if it had a different climate, but I think Canada would be a better place to live with a better climate. You seems to suggest "thank god we have bad weather".
You still don't get Canada.

Canada would not be a BETTER place if the climate were different. It wouldn't be Canada.

Part of our identity is connected very much to the land in which it is the way it is because of the climate.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:49 PM

10,132 posts, read 11,881,266 times
Quote:
I happen to love the climate I live in. Granted I am in Vancouver and admit I would dislike really cold and snowy winters.

I couldn't live anywhere though where the climate is much the same throughout the year.

As for the OP, your statement is misplaced. It's not Canada that's the issue, but you and what you prefer.

Speaking of which, you just mention warmer. Are you looking for dry warmth like Phoenix which gets too hot for even the locals in summer? Or are you looking for warm places that have rainy seasons and monsoons?
Phoenix is too hot in the summer but it's better than anywhere in Canada IMO because even in the hottest part of the year, you can go out when the sun goes down and feel fairly comfortable. As far as what I prefer, I like dry heat better than humid heat but I can tolerate some humidity as long as it's usually warmer than 20C during the day year round

Old 09-21-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
What do you mean " nice try " ?

I think I blew your statement out of the water. You did say

"Or China or Japan for that matter. These countries have large subtropical areas and thousands of years of history yet never had a history of slavery. "

and I just proved you wrong.

If we wanted to get really nitty and gritty we could talk about modern day slavery, which is different that old time slavery, but still slavery. It exist in China and elsewhere to this day.

2.9 million trapped in modern-day slavery in China, 30 million worldwide | South China Morning Post
Congratulations.

Sorry for forgetting some slavery history 3,000 years ago before there was not even a country or nation called "China" (in case you didn't know, Xia and Shang's history was based primarily on legend and most historians don't consider that to be the beginning of the Chinese history due the lack of concrete evidence).

Slavery (mostly from war prisoners, instead of bought from elsewhere) started to disappear in the Warring States Period (475-221BC) and was abolished as a system in Qin (221BC-206BC) - about 2000 years before the western world.

And just so you know, the concept of "China" didn't exist until Qin conquered all the other states and tribes and unified the country (still much smaller than China today), before that all the states had their own languages, metric system, culture etc - just a bunch of kingdoms located in the present day China, like the ones before Germany/Italy were established in 1870s.

But still you might say "I proved you wrong" in great excitement. Fine, congrats again. The ancient Chinese were really evil and uncivilized to have slaves 1,500 years before Jesus was born!

Old 09-21-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
You still don't get Canada.

Canada would not be a BETTER place if the climate were different. It wouldn't be Canada.

Part of our identity is connected very much to the land in which it is the way it is because of the climate.
It wouldn't be current day Canada, so what? It would be a better version of it.

The vague climate related "identity" is weak. Canada is not the only country with cold and unfavorable climate. I fail to see how that defines Canada identity. Since you are from Vancouver, so I guess you are less Canadian than people elsewhere following your own logic, since the same cold climate definitely didn't define you the same way.

Only countries with no identity would argue the weather defines their identity. Other nations have literature, music, historical landmarks, philosophy and distinct language they don't share with 12 other countries to do the real job.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quebec singer Robert Charlebois actually wrote a song about what Quebec would be like if only Jacques Cartier had sailed a bit further to the south....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASIP7k6UcK0

Old 09-21-2015, 01:20 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,008,159 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be current day Canada, so what? It would be a better version of it.

The vague climate related "identity" is weak. Canada is not the only country with cold and unfavorable climate. I fail to see how that defines Canada identity. Since you are from Vancouver, so I guess you are less Canadian than people elsewhere following your own logic, since the same cold climate definitely didn't define you the same way.

Only countries with no identity would argue the weather defines their identity. Other nations have literature, music, historical landmarks, philosophy and distinct language they don't share with 12 other countries to do the real job.
Nat can speak for himself, but I am pretty sure he is echoing what was stated by other posters on this thread. If the climate was different in Canada, then you would have completely different agricultural conditions and in turn different migration patterns, which absolutely would play a role in shaping the culture of the country.

As people said when speaking about slavery, if Canada was warm like the US South, there is no way it could have escaped the slave trade to the extend it did. The influx of people shaped US culture for good and bad and is a major reason why you see the differences today between the two nations.

Edit: Just read Canuckinportlands last post, touching on the same points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or