U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,185,407 times

Advertisements

lol....still making mad faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 07:11 PM

21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Not in denial about the winter but...

You can see the lights of a ski hill from one of my kids' bedroom windows in the winter. Evening skiing after work is a big thing here.

And several thousand people in Ottawa skate to work every day during the winter on the Rideau Canal, which averages 20,000 skaters a day approx.

I'd say Toronto is not particularly blessed when it comes to winter sports opportunities. Less than some other Canadian cities.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:30 PM

18,341 posts, read 10,411,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Most Vancouverites who are doing evening skiing after work or after school, hit the local slopes of Cypress, Grouse and Seymour mountains.
Whistler is more of a day trip or couple of days.
Ah yes; I remember the bus ride to Whistler now.

I have skied Mt Cain on the island and some of Whistler but nothing closer to Van. itself.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,077,848 times
Quote:
Most Vancouverites who are doing evening skiing after work or after school, hit the local slopes of Cypress, Grouse and Seymour mountains.
Whistler is more of a day trip or couple of days.
Nat skiing is 1) expensive and 2) physically tasking,...I was working with avid skiers and outdoor junkies...not many did it for more than once a week maybe twice (if you include weekends) if you have to work.....

But I was swimming every day in Sydney or my hometown and did not cost me anything....

Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 PM

12,706 posts, read 8,786,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nat skiing is 1) expensive and 2) physically tasking,...I was working with avid skiers and outdoor junkies...not many did it for more than once a week maybe twice (if you include weekends) if you have to work.....

But I was swimming every day in Sydney or my hometown and did not cost me anything....
I guess I know hardier people. Besides, there is more to do in winter than just downhill skiing. Cross country, snow shoeing aren't expensive.

You can also get deals on Ski Passes, Cypress has an Adult Season Pass for as little $399, youth $284 which excludes Xmas week, and wknds in Jan and Feb, but you can still ski during those dates for 40 percent off.
Good for day and night skiing.

If you already have gear, that's not expensive. One short bus ride and you're good to go.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:10 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,165,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
lol....still making mad faces.
just getting prepared for the big day.. Its like boxing hype before the showdown..

Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,165,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I'd say Toronto is not particularly blessed when it comes to winter sports opportunities. Less than some other Canadian cities.
Toronto is quite ravenous which actually gives you great tobogganing sites.. Aside from that it'll deal without world class skiing when it has so much other things to do all times of the year including the winter

50 things to do this winter in Toronto
50 things to do this winter in Toronto 2015

Hey you asked for it lol..

Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM

21,962 posts, read 27,410,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto is quite ravenous which actually gives you great tobogganing sites.. Aside from that it'll deal without world class skiing when it has so much other things to do all times of the year including the winter

50 things to do this winter in Toronto
50 things to do this winter in Toronto 2015

Hey you asked for it lol..
I shoulda known better...

Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,077,848 times
Quote:
I guess I know hardier people.

No, you probably hang around healthy young retirees or trust fund babies ......in my field of work 8 intense hours a day was usually a very light day......

Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 PM

486 posts, read 274,191 times
THE EU is awesome cause u can live in any other EU country.

Vancouver has been very warm these last few years probably due to climate change. The Fraser Valley in Summer of 2015 got record high temperatures 38C and over 40C in some areas also the summer of 2015 was so dry it was like a huge drought in the Fraser Valley and Greater Vancouver during the summer. 2015 was a fricked up year for BC. Winters got barely any snow. At least right now in fall its cooling down and we have been getting some monsoon type rain to make up for all the rain we didn't get during the summer. But your right Vancouver isn't tropicAL BY A GLOBAL scale but for me that's a good thing. Hopefully Vancouver will have a very snowy Winter in 2016. Like Europe and Eastern Canada/US did last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or