U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 01:46 PM

10,131 posts, read 11,875,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa officially went below freezing at -0.1C last night. At my place (some distance north of Ottawa airport), the low was 0.0C.

Not white rooftops this morning though and no frost on the car windows.
I wonder how many major world cities with a metro area greater than 1 million have recorded a freeze so early outside of Russia and Scandinavia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 01:53 PM

21,940 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I wonder how many major world cities with a metro area greater than 1 million have recorded a freeze so early outside of Russia and Scandinavia.
It wouldn't be uncommon for places like Prague, Vienna, Munich, Berlin, Warsaw, Strasbourg, etc. to go below zero for the first team of the season around this time of year.

A friend of mine who is from France but lives in Quebec posted a weather warning for snowfall in her home region of France on FB this week. And she's from central France nowhere near the Alps.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:01 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Ottawa officially went below freezing at -0.1C last night. At my place (some distance north of Ottawa airport), the low was 0.0C.

Not white rooftops this morning though and no frost on the car windows.
Nothing near that here yet. Highs of 17C today and 19C tomorrow with lows of 11C and 12C respectively.

There is chill in the wind, and it smell like autumn and in a few days it will be only a high of 13C and a low of
8C.

They are predicting fog on Sunday. We've had a few days of fog already this year. I love it as it weaves it way in off the water and surrounds the buildings. Fog horns echoing in the distance.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:06 PM

10,131 posts, read 11,875,366 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be uncommon for places like Prague, Vienna, Munich, Berlin, Warsaw, Strasbourg, etc. to go below zero for the first team of the season around this time of year.

A friend of mine who is from France but lives in Quebec posted a weather warning for snowfall in her home region of France on FB this week. And she's from central France nowhere near the Alps.
You are probably correct... I'll revive my question in January and then we can make comparisons with other world cities

Old 10-16-2015, 12:28 PM

325 posts, read 295,118 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was gonna say. Ottawa and Montreal haven't even officially had frosts yet I don't believe. Though some more northern parts of their metro areas have.

I haven't see white rooftoops yet in my neighbourhood in Gatineau. Though we've been very close to freezing: 0.3C on my home thermometer one morning a week or so ago.
Though they are calling for snow in Montreal Ottawa and Quebec City tomorrow morning.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:35 PM

325 posts, read 295,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You are probably correct... I'll revive my question in January and then we can make comparisons with other world cities
Ask the question tomorrow...which major cities in the world are going to have snow tomorrow in the middle of October? They are going to be in Canada, Russia or Scandinavia. And I don't think that the major Scandinavian cities like Oslo & Stockholm have snow this early and for sure not Copenhagen. But really only the far northern places that are the equivalent of Whitehorse.

Last year the prairies had their first significant snow accumulation in early September. The 10th of September or so.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:43 PM

21,940 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Though they are calling for snow in Montreal Ottawa and Quebec City tomorrow morning.
Hopefully only flurries! My pool is still open and my gazebo still has the cloth cover on it! Cushions are still out...

Old 10-16-2015, 01:28 PM

3,019 posts, read 2,694,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Ask the question tomorrow...which major cities in the world are going to have snow tomorrow in the middle of October? They are going to be in Canada, Russia or Scandinavia. And I don't think that the major Scandinavian cities like Oslo & Stockholm have snow this early and for sure not Copenhagen. But really only the far northern places that are the equivalent of Whitehorse.

Last year the prairies had their first significant snow accumulation in early September. The 10th of September or so.
The biggest snowfalls on record in Calgary happen in September, October, May, or June.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:42 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,007,563 times
I'm hoping BC fails miserably in terms of it's climate this winter and gets some good snowfall so when I visit my parents I'll actually be able to get some good ski days in.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
I'm hoping BC fails miserably in terms of it's climate this winter and gets some good snowfall so when I visit my parents I'll actually be able to get some good ski days in.
Not just skiing. We need a good snow pack so that we don't have to go through another summer of water restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or