U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 04:12 PM

172 posts, read 152,830 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a proud Canadian but also a US resident, I have to agree wholeheartedly. Climate is Canada's #1 disadvantage. Sometimes I imagine how the country (and inbound tourism) would change if Canada had either shorter or milder winters and longer summers. Honestly, there are many things I don't care for in US society, but it's hard to leave the climate of the southern states. Having hot summers and mercifully-brief winters allows for so much more outdoor fun, especially if you're into more than winter sports. Even the senior citizens here generally look less beaten-down by years of harsh winters; I've seen some 60 year-olds here with smooth, lightly-tanned skin that almost glows and looks better than that of most 40 y/o Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 04:13 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I grew up in northern Ontario and have also lived in Winnipeg, Toronto, and the Niagara region, but have spent the last 25 years or so of my life in Texas. At first, the summertime heat and humidity (in Houston) was almost unbearable, but I got used to it and then grew to love it. It's not good for working outside or anything like that, but is great for lounging by the pool or on the beach, playing at a waterpark, and getting a nice even tan (I know, I know, they're terribly unhealthy, but I look and feel great when I have one, and so do the girls here).

About two years ago I moved back to southern Ontario and the winter damn near killed me. I guess I've become southernized or something. While I was there I was struck by the exact thought the OP made, which was that in Canada, you really don't have any warm-all-year options (apart from flying south every winter, which isn't practical or affordable for me). I almost felt TRAPPED by that 49th parallel, and fantasized about what Canada might be like if "global warming" truly kicked-in and made the country a subtropical climate (hint: it could be pretty awesome, and the shoreline of the Great Lakes would become the new Gulf Coast or Riviera).

Anyway, I do wish Canada would buy one of the Caribbean islands, allowing Canadians to have a southern living option.
Yes its cold in the winter in Canada...

Old 02-17-2016, 04:30 PM

Default Beautiful description of the seasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Add me to those who like four distinct seasons.

Winter is hard, it is true, but it is not impossible. It is not nearly as brutal as non-Canadians think, if those of my friends who have come from warmer climes were surprised to admit. Yes, cold snaps occur, and snowstorms occur, but we all somehow muddle through; while skiers and snowboarders have a blast. And there is nothing like an evening walk in the winter, with the snow sparkling, and the quiet afforded by a blanket of snow.

Spring brings hope for a renewal, with early crocuses braving their way through the snow. Other plants, and trees, reawaken, and show their leaves and buds. Backyard gardeners plan for a riot of flowers; or, for those of us who prefer otherwise, a plot of edibles: tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, and so on. A homegrown tomato beats a store-bought any day, and I do enjoy the tomatoes from my garden.

Summers are hot. Maybe not as hot as they would be in the tropics, but hot nonetheless. It's time for T-shirts and shorts and sandals, and grilling on the back deck, and plenty of friends with whom to enjoy the outdoors: golfing, hiking, playing a pickup game of softball. It's time to turn on the air conditioning, and chill the beer, because that yard will be overgrown if you don't look after it, and a cold beer goes well after a Saturday afternoon of yardwork.

Autumn is a time for change. The leaves turn, and fall, and need raking; and the tomatoes die, and the earth goes to sleep. But there are bright days that display the trees in a riot of colour, and warm days that are all the more valuable, because winter lies ahead. As does spring, summer, and again, fall.

To paraphrase the US President in the movie, "Being There": "We welcome the seasons of nature." I certainly do, and I am glad that I live in a place that lets me experience all of them.
"To everything there is a season..." and I thought this was a great description of the highlights and realities of all four of them. There are many comparisons to life itself, I think, and it's wise to try to find something to appreciate about whatever season we happen to find ourselves in at any given time.

In my own travels, I've found Nashville to have one of the nicest balances of the seasons. Sunny, hot summers, crisp colorful autumns, not-quite-Canadian-cold winters (but with just enough snow), and perfect springtimes. For me, that latitude seems to be just about right.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:42 PM

873 posts, read 815,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I grew up in northern Ontario and have also lived in Winnipeg, Toronto, and the Niagara region, but have spent the last 25 years or so of my life in Texas. At first, the summertime heat and humidity (in Houston) was almost unbearable, but I got used to it and then grew to love it. It's not good for working outside or anything like that, but is great for lounging by the pool or on the beach, playing at a waterpark, and getting a nice even tan (I know, I know, they're terribly unhealthy, but I look and feel great when I have one, and so do the girls here).

About two years ago I moved back to southern Ontario and the winter damn near killed me. I guess I've become southernized or something. While I was there I was struck by the exact thought the OP made, which was that in Canada, you really don't have any warm-all-year options (apart from flying south every winter, which isn't practical or affordable for me). I almost felt TRAPPED by that 49th parallel, and fantasized about what Canada might be like if "global warming" truly kicked-in and made the country a subtropical climate (hint: it could be pretty awesome, and the shoreline of the Great Lakes would become the new Gulf Coast or Riviera).

Anyway, I do wish Canada would buy one of the Caribbean islands, allowing Canadians to have a southern living option.
Global Warming is never good. That subtropic weather won't matter when there's not enough water and deadly storms occur every month.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Global Warming is never good. That subtropic weather won't matter when there's not enough water and deadly storms occur every month.
Well, that pretty much describes Texas, and I've lived here quite happily for many years.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:27 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,697,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
You're assuming there'd be more storms with global warming, when in fact, we've seen a reduction in storms. Also drought has decreased.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 PM

8,594 posts, read 11,085,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
You're assuming there'd be more storms with global warming, when in fact, we've seen a reduction in storms. Also drought has decreased.
Increase in severity though, and drought depends on where you are speaking about.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:04 AM

3,020 posts, read 2,697,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Increase in severity though, and drought depends on where you are speaking about.
Science shows that there's no correlation between storm severity or drought and global temperature. In fact, global drought has dropped over the past few decades.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:07 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Science shows that there's no correlation between storm severity or drought and global temperature. In fact, global drought has dropped over the past few decades.
"Scientists point to higher ocean temperatures as the main culprit, since hurricanes and tropical storms get their energy from warm water. As sea surface temperatures rise, developing storms will contain more energy."

Climate Change Impact on Storms | The Nature Conservancy

Says one site...

However Nasa says the jury is still out.

The Rising Cost of Natural Hazards : Feature Articles

Old 04-02-2016, 05:11 PM

10,134 posts, read 11,890,556 times
Toronto at 43N is 1C with a low of -7C tonight...with snow in the forecast. What other major metro has these kinds of temperatures for April especially at Toronto's latitude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or