U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-02-2016, 05:17 PM
 
873 posts, read 815,497 times
Reputation: 554

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Toronto at 43N is 1C with a low of -7C tonight...with snow in the forecast. What other major metro has these kinds of temperatures for April especially at Toronto's latitude?

It was +21c and sunny for the last two days in Calgary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2016, 05:26 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,134 posts, read 11,890,556 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
It was +21c and sunny for the last two days in Calgary.
True... it does seem a bit messed up that Toronto is so much colder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,167,241 times
Reputation: 13467
It's not messed up at all. It's called spring, and the Jet Stream, deneb. Look into it.

Daytime highs here in Windsor, from March 5th through the 14th went as follows:

0, 3, 17, 20, 20, 13, 8, 13, 7, 17.


22nd was 16. 25th was 6. 27th was 19. The 29th, the high was 8. The next 3 days were 15, 16, 12. It's -5 right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 10:57 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,134 posts, read 11,890,556 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
It's not messed up at all. It's called spring, and the Jet Stream, deneb. Look into it.

Daytime highs here in Windsor, from March 5th through the 14th went as follows:

0, 3, 17, 20, 20, 13, 8, 13, 7, 17.


22nd was 16. 25th was 6. 27th was 19. The 29th, the high was 8. The next 3 days were 15, 16, 12. It's -5 right now.
I am very well aware of what the jet stream is but the jet is messed up and is not in its normal position. Eastern North America is one of the few places in the world that gets these ridiculous cold anomalies relative to latitude.
Where else at 43 latitude at a low elevation do daytime highs below freezing happen virtually every year in April?

Last edited by deneb78; 04-02-2016 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,167,241 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I am very well aware of what the jet stream is but the jet is messed up and is not in its normal position. Eastern North America is one of the few places in the world that gets these ridiculous cold anomalies relative to latitude.
Where else at 43 latitude at a low elevation do daytime highs below freezing happen virtually every year in April?


So the Jet stream takes a dip here and there. Like I said - it's spring. This is what spring is on the east coast.

The historical averages for an April in Toronto are between 8 and 14 degrees through out the month. So, to have a handful of days hovering around 0 during spring is par for the course. Particularly when you have 23 quadrillion liters of ice cold water influencing the air of the entire region, never mind Hudson Bay.

Rochester, and Buffalo, NY for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 02:28 AM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,438 posts, read 6,412,321 times
Reputation: 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Toronto at 43N is 1C with a low of -7C tonight...with snow in the forecast. What other major metro has these kinds of temperatures for April especially at Toronto's latitude?
I'm on the other side of Lake Ontario at like 41N and it will be -11 here in two days, it's ridiculous. The climate in Eastern North America is just a disaster! Toronto should not be that cold especially since its on a lake which should moderate the weather and since its at the same latitude as Southern France and Italy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
So the Jet stream takes a dip here and there. Like I said - it's spring. This is what spring is on the east coast.

The historical averages for an April in Toronto are between 8 and 14 degrees through out the month. So, to have a handful of days hovering around 0 during spring is par for the course. Particularly when you have 23 quadrillion liters of ice cold water influencing the air of the entire region, never mind Hudson Bay.

Rochester, and Buffalo, NY for starters.
People who don't live in this neck of the woods will never get it lol.. That said, if there was any groundhog that predicted an early spring this year it should be put out to Pasture. Looks like the mild November and December we had are cashing in now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,746 posts, read 3,209,496 times
Reputation: 7190
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
People who don't live in this neck of the woods will never get it lol.. That said, if there was any groundhog that predicted an early spring this year it should be put out to Pasture. Looks like the mild November and December we had are cashing in now.
One Groundhog Day years ago, Wiarton Willie predicted an early spring, as he often does. Well, when we then got hit with heavy snow throughout southern Ontario in late March/early April that same year, I remember hearing on the radio that Wiarton Willie had to go into hiding because he'd been receiving death threats.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 04-03-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
One Groundhog Day years ago, Wiarton Willie predicted an early spring, as he often does. Well, when we then got hit with heavy snow throughout southern Ontario in late March/early April that same year, I remember hearing on the radio that Wiarton Willie had to go into hiding because he'd been receiving death threats.
LOL - awww don't kill him but a good smack in the arse would've been in order! This year WW got it right though, long winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2016, 09:57 AM
 
18,284 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13351
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
One Groundhog Day years ago, Wiarton Willie predicted an early spring, as he often does. Well, when we then got hit with heavy snow throughout southern Ontario in late March/early April that same year, I remember hearing on the radio that Wiarton Willie had to go into hiding because he'd been receiving death threats.
Oh boy; fond memories of that one. We chose to buck the odds and left work to encounter closed highways between our work and our home so ended up "storm stayed" in a local motel right next to a local strip mall. before you could snap your fingers the parking lot filled with cars we recognized of co-workers all stuck like us. Shopping was organized to obtain necessitities of new underwear for the morrow and toiletries.

After making sure all the essentials were obtained then it was orgainized to borrow the motel owner's kids toboggan and off we trudged to the local Brewer's Retail outlet and Liquor Store .........MAN what a party!

We all managed to stagger into work the next day still in a state of inebriation only to find necessary shipments of supplies for production had not gotten delivered and were not expected to be for another day. Collective Agreement provisions were such that if company did not notify employees not to come to work prior to commencement of next scheduled shift; they were obligated to pay for the day. WOW! I advised all to make themselves as scarce as they could in all the usual hiding places. The plant was full of workers all sleeping off the previous evenings lack of sleep, either via partying or spending the night wherever they could get indoors. Those who had either spent the night in the plant's cafeteria or were sober enough to trust with limited demands were put to work cleaning, the place shone!

Some had even spent the night in local hotel lobbies after rooms were all taken. Some workers arrived for their shift on snowmobiles.

Got the "T" shirt; "I survived the Blizzard of 77".

Just your typical Canadian winter experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top