U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Toronto at 43N is 1C with a low of -7C tonight...with snow in the forecast. What other major metro has these kinds of temperatures for April especially at Toronto's latitude?
Nice, France: highs of 17-21 degrees this week for example. I spent my entire January there, pretty much 13-14C highs every day. Florence, Italy is 43N too, and is 25 degrees today.


Changchun, China, same latitude as Toronto and usually has cold winters too. But spring comes earlier. Today and this weekend, the highs are 13-14C.


Sarajevo, at the same latitude is 26C today.

Sapporo, Japan is probably the city at same latitude with similar weather pattern. Even it is warmer right now with highs in the low teens, which is seasonal.

I said many times that the length of the winter in Toronto makes one far more miserable than the coldness in January or February. March and April is horrible in Toronto by world standards. Even Chicago and Boston are far better during this time of the year. NYC is in a totally different season.


In terms of weather, Toronto is one of the most miserable cities in the world. lets not sugarcoat it. No matter how much you love winter and "four seasons", you will be lying to the world to say "I love a snowstorm in April" "I just love to wear my downjacket on April 4". Love the accidents this morning?


April snowstorm buries Toronto, causes more than 100 collisions | Toronto Star


Anyone would like to bring up the "winter sports" argument"? Planning to ski this weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,697,928 times
Reputation: 2132
The average temperature in Changchun, China, in April is +7.8C, and the average temperature in Toronto in April is +7.9. Seems about the same to me. In fact, 7.9 is higher than 7.8, but close enough for me and the girls I go out with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 11:16 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
The average temperature in Changchun, China, in April is +7.8C, and the average temperature in Toronto in April is +7.9. Seems about the same to me. In fact, 7.9 is higher than 7.8, but close enough for me and the girls I go out with.
It goes without saying that Changchun is considered one of the most miserable and least attractive city in China to live. In fact the entire northeast China, similar to Canada's weather, has been experiencing depopulation and economic stagnation for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM
 
873 posts, read 815,497 times
Reputation: 554
They're saying it could go up to 27c degrees on Friday in Calgary! Craziness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 12:31 PM
 
Location: In transition
10,134 posts, read 11,890,556 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
They're saying it could go up to 27c degrees on Friday in Calgary! Craziness!
Calgary also can get snowfall in the summer.... not exactly a desirable climate. It's just too unpredictable. Not a lot of things grow there because of that. Only the hardiest trees and plants can cope with that kind of temperature variation throughout the year. Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec are just a less extreme version of that but still horrible climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 01:25 PM
 
873 posts, read 815,497 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Calgary also can get snowfall in the summer.... not exactly a desirable climate. It's just too unpredictable. Not a lot of things grow there because of that. Only the hardiest trees and plants can cope with that kind of temperature variation throughout the year. Southern Ontario and Southern Quebec are just a less extreme version of that but still horrible climates.
I agree I don't like the climate either. Quebec and Ontario also have much hotter and more humid summers than Calgary too. But at the moment, Calgary is getting better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Vernon, British Columbia
3,020 posts, read 2,697,928 times
Reputation: 2132
27 in Calgary by Friday, I don't think so, but further north than that on coastal BC was 26 in April (last week), so 27 in Calgary isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Nice, France: highs of 17-21 degrees this week for example. I spent my entire January there, pretty much 13-14C highs every day. Florence, Italy is 43N too, and is 25 degrees today.


Changchun, China, same latitude as Toronto and usually has cold winters too. But spring comes earlier. Today and this weekend, the highs are 13-14C.


Sarajevo, at the same latitude is 26C today.

Sapporo, Japan is probably the city at same latitude with similar weather pattern. Even it is warmer right now with highs in the low teens, which is seasonal.

I said many times that the length of the winter in Toronto makes one far more miserable than the coldness in January or February. March and April is horrible in Toronto by world standards. Even Chicago and Boston are far better during this time of the year. NYC is in a totally different season.


In terms of weather, Toronto is one of the most miserable cities in the world. lets not sugarcoat it. No matter how much you love winter and "four seasons", you will be lying to the world to say "I love a snowstorm in April" "I just love to wear my downjacket on April 4". Love the accidents this morning?


April snowstorm buries Toronto, causes more than 100 collisions | Toronto Star


Anyone would like to bring up the "winter sports" argument"? Planning to ski this weekend?
The historical average over the last 30 years for this time of year in Toronto is 10 degrees. We are certainly below that number. The last time we had as much snow in early April like this is back in 1976. That is an anomaly and not the norm i'd say. Same thing with our past Novemeber and December being warmer than historical averages this winter as well.

You're just grumpy because you aren't able to put your speedo's on yet lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 PM
 
411 posts, read 1,151,300 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Nice, France: highs of 17-21 degrees this week for example. I spent my entire January there, pretty much 13-14C highs every day. Florence, Italy is 43N too, and is 25 degrees today.

Changchun, China, same latitude as Toronto and usually has cold winters too. But spring comes earlier. Today and this weekend, the highs are 13-14C.

Sarajevo, at the same latitude is 26C today.

Sapporo, Japan is probably the city at same latitude with similar weather pattern. Even it is warmer right now with highs in the low teens, which is seasonal.

I said many times that the length of the winter in Toronto makes one far more miserable than the coldness in January or February. March and April is horrible in Toronto by world standards. Even Chicago and Boston are far better during this time of the year. NYC is in a totally different season.

In terms of weather, Toronto is one of the most miserable cities in the world. lets not sugarcoat it. No matter how much you love winter and "four seasons", you will be lying to the world to say "I love a snowstorm in April" "I just love to wear my downjacket on April 4". Love the accidents this morning?

April snowstorm buries Toronto, causes more than 100 collisions | Toronto Star

Anyone would like to bring up the "winter sports" argument"? Planning to ski this weekend?
^ This. Highly agree. Thanks for this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 PM
 
956 posts, read 1,547,698 times
Reputation: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Nice, France: highs of 17-21 degrees this week for example. I spent my entire January there, pretty much 13-14C highs every day. Florence, Italy is 43N too, and is 25 degrees today.


Changchun, China, same latitude as Toronto and usually has cold winters too. But spring comes earlier. Today and this weekend, the highs are 13-14C.


Sarajevo, at the same latitude is 26C today.

Sapporo, Japan is probably the city at same latitude with similar weather pattern. Even it is warmer right now with highs in the low teens, which is seasonal.

I said many times that the length of the winter in Toronto makes one far more miserable than the coldness in January or February. March and April is horrible in Toronto by world standards. Even Chicago and Boston are far better during this time of the year. NYC is in a totally different season.


In terms of weather, Toronto is one of the most miserable cities in the world. lets not sugarcoat it. No matter how much you love winter and "four seasons", you will be lying to the world to say "I love a snowstorm in April" "I just love to wear my downjacket on April 4". Love the accidents this morning?


April snowstorm buries Toronto, causes more than 100 collisions | Toronto Star


Anyone would like to bring up the "winter sports" argument"? Planning to ski this weekend?

England and Scotland are known for having crappy climate patterns too, but would you say Toronto fares even worse than them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top