U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:58 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
England and Scotland are known for having crappy climate patterns too, but would you say Toronto fares even worse than them?
Toronto is colder in the winter and gets more snow. Montreal even colder and more snow. Latitude isn't the only determining factor when it comes to weather. Mags got into the Jetstream earlier but there is also upwelling which is detailed in this link below under climate (which would be good for everyone to read given the sudden fascination with Toronto's weather).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Toronto

"Toronto's continental climate is moderated by Lake Ontario; its climate is among the mildest in Canada east of the Rocky
Mountains."

A better city to compare Toronto to is its Canadian cousin Montreal, not anything in Scotland or England. As one can see, Toronto is not the coldest large city in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Montreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 PM

873 posts, read 813,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
27 in Calgary by Friday, I don't think so, but further north than that on coastal BC was 26 in April (last week), so 27 in Calgary isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
But that's the what the weather forecast said.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:08 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
England and Scotland are known for having crappy climate patterns too, but would you say Toronto fares even worse than them?
that compares nothing with Toronto. Even Edinburgh is warmer than Toronto. I will trade for London's weather in a heart beat.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:13 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that compares nothing with Toronto. Even Edinburgh is warmer than Toronto. I will trade for London's weather in a heart beat.
Then I guess you're not a true summer lover!

Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The historical average over the last 30 years for this time of year in Toronto is 10 degrees. We are certainly below that number. The last time we had as much snow in early April like this is back in 1976. That is an anomaly and not the norm i'd say. Same thing with our past Novemeber and December being warmer than historical averages this winter as well.

You're just grumpy because you aren't able to put your speedo's on yet lol...
you are right about it.

However, I just can never get used to the winter here, and can never say "it is just weather" when it is -27C in Feb or snowing in April. To say that doesn't reduce my (or anyone's) quality of life is a big lie.

Speaking of speedo, in Toronto, you can swim for roughly12 days a year? ahhh

Old 04-05-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Then I guess you're not a true summer lover!
Shanghai normally has 40 days above 35C every summer with high humidity. So no, I don't love summer. I spent enough of those hot nights where temperature never dropped below 30C.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Shanghai normally has 40 days above 35C every summer with high humidity. So no, I don't love summer. I spent enough of those hot nights where temperature never dropped below 30C.
Fair enough, but I personally wouldn't trade 5-10 degrees more in the winter (going from -5C to +5C) for 5-10 degrees less in the summer (going from 28-30C to 18-21C).

Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM

3,019 posts, read 2,692,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
But that's the what the weather forecast said.
Probably the weathernetwork. Those guys don't know their asses from a hole in the ground. EC didn't go that high.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:09 AM

10,131 posts, read 11,869,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fair enough, but I personally wouldn't trade 5-10 degrees more in the winter (going from -5C to +5C) for 5-10 degrees less in the summer (going from 28-30C to 18-21C).
There are places in the world like Lyon, France where you wouldn't have to trade. It also happens to be at the same latitude as Gatineau.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyon#Climate

Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
I went to Edinburgh in January and its pretty miserable. All 4 days I was there it was overcast, windy as crap and raining. It was a cold almost freezing rain. On top of that the bloody city is so hilly that you're often fighting cold rain while struggling walking up endless hills.

That said, its an amazing city and I wouldn't hesitate to visit again but i'll pass going there in Jan/Feb just as i'd recommend someone not visit Toronto in Jan/Feb if it can be avoided.

Quote:
you are right about it.

However, I just can never get used to the winter here, and can never say "it is just weather" when it is -27C in Feb or snowing in April. To say that doesn't reduce my (or anyone's) quality of life is a big lie.

Speaking of speedo, in Toronto, you can swim for roughly12 days a year? ahhh
Weellllll you chose to live in Canada bud lol... Gotta take the good with the bad.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-05-2016 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or