Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Come on down, not only do we allow illegals we are giving them driver's licenses, free education and money to have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:17 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I would dream of living in a city where every day the temperature is 15-25C. Is there such a place?
Some of the highland cities in Latin America meet that criteria. Lima also comes close.

I find it strange that most Canadians only focus on summer or winter as if those are the only 2 seasons. It makes sense I guess because spring and fall are very short in most of Canada.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
Dawson City, Yukon has averaged 14F/8C above normal so far this year. If Vancouver were 14F above normal, it would be experiencing a winter typically found in Tallahassee, Florida. Bring on the global warming! No more fails.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Some of the highland cities in Latin America meet that criteria. Lima also comes close.

I find it strange that most Canadians only focus on summer or winter as if those are the only 2 seasons. It makes sense I guess because spring and fall are very short in most of Canada.
that's not strange but winter and autumn by definition are transitional and therefore pleasant seasons in terms of thermal comfort. If summer is not too hot and winter not too cold, how bad can the months between them be?

Spring is probably short in Canada - central Canada specifically, but autumn is not that short. At least half of September, entire October and good chunk of October even some days in November are autumn like temperature - say 10-18 degrees. Spring is indeed short - today it was snowing, and I bet in four weeks' time the trees will turn green with people in their Tshirts on the street. It is short because the f**king winter is never ending.

South America indeed has good weather in general (I don't use Latin America because the US to me is very close to being part of it whether in terms of language or wealth gap). I have been to the very southern tip of Argentina and even that was not as cold as Toronto in the winter.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:46 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Come on down, not only do we allow illegals we are giving them driver's licenses, free education and money to have kids.
Sounds good I'll be right there.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's 8 degrees in Edinnburgh, Scotland right now.

It will be 11 there tomorrow.

But that might be their high for a cooler day in mid-July too.

Pick your poison.
Christ on a bike you're not lying

Weather Averages for Edinburgh, United Kingdom

15 degrees in July - i'll take a cold and snowy Toronto/Montreal Winter in exchange for a real summer thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Edinburgh's summer is almost as cold as its winter, lol, no thanks, now that's a [b]fail[/B]!
Clearly! A place that doesn't get above 15 degrees on average in any month of the year - total and complete weather fail!

Last edited by fusion2; 04-06-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Christ on a bike you're not lying

Weather Averages for Edinburgh, United Kingdom

15 degrees in July - i'll take a cold and snowy Toronto/Montreal Winter in exchange for a real summer thanks much!

Clearly! A place that doesn't get above 15 degrees on average in any month of the year - total and complete weather fail!
Average highs in July and August are 19 degrees and not 15. I agree it's more spring like than summer like. For its latitude it's pretty good. At 56 latitude in parts of Canada at low elevation you have Arctic Tundra where trees can't even grow... pick your poison indeed.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Average highs in July and August are 19 degrees and not 15. I agree it's more spring like than summer like. For its latitude it's pretty good. At 56 latitude in parts of Canada at low elevation you have Arctic Tundra where trees can't even grow... pick your poison indeed.
19 is still pretty low.. If Toronto had high's of only 19 (esp in july/august) in the summer it'd be a big bummer to me. Sorry, big fail!
I also really don't care about latitude, I care about the ambient weather of a place. If its sucks 4 or 5 months of the year it better be good the rest. Kinda sucky all year just sucks. Sorry Edinburgh- Fail! Other cities would fall along Edinburgh's lines too if in what is supposed to be hot summer months they are only kinda/sorta hot.. Fail to them too!

Last edited by fusion2; 04-06-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
19 is still pretty low.. If Toronto had high's of only 19 (esp in july/august) in the summer it'd be a big bummer to me. Sorry, big fail!
I also really don't care about latitude, I care about the ambient weather of a place. If its sucks 4 or 5 months of the year it better be good the rest. Kinda sucky all year just sucks. Sorry Edinburgh- Fail! Other cities would fall along Edinburgh's lines too if in what is supposed to be hot summer months they are only kinda/sorta hot.. Fail to them too!
Edinburgh's climate isn't very good in an absolute sense IMO but it has the advantage that at no point during the year is it ever really dangerous unlike most of Canada in winter. I'd categorize Edinburgh's weather as spring like most of the year which can be pleasant for some.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Edinburgh's climate isn't very good in an absolute sense IMO but it has the advantage that at no point during the year is it ever really dangerous unlike most of Canada in winter. I'd categorize Edinburgh's weather as spring like most of the year which can be pleasant for some.
I think categorizing Canada's weather as 'dangerous' is a stretch. Most deaths are probably attributed to people not driving according to the weather conditions as opposed to the weather itself.. Outside of driving deaths - What a few dozen people die in Avalanche's? How many people in Canada die from cold weather exposure?

Besides, there are a plethora of nations in the world that have year round hot weather where people die from not just the hot weather, but also from a host of other natural phenomena that are far more dangerous than what we're faced with here. When was the last time 350 people were killed in a Volcanic eruption in Canada, or scores/hundreds killed in Hurricanes or Typhoons or thousands of people killed in an earthquakes or or hundreds of thousands killed by a tsunami? - In Canada? Road fatalities, try India for size. Canada dangerous LOL.....

Last edited by fusion2; 04-06-2016 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada