U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 07:23 PM

10,133 posts, read 11,893,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think categorizing Canada's weather as 'dangerous' is a stretch. Most deaths are probably attributed to people not driving according to the weather conditions as opposed to the weather itself.. Outside of driving deaths - What a few dozen people die in Avalanche's? How many people in Canada die from cold weather exposure?

Besides, there are a plethora of nations in the world that have year round hot weather where people die from not just the hot weather, but also from a host of other natural phenomena that are far more dangerous than what we're faced with here. When was the last time 350 people were killed in a Volcanic eruption in Canada, or scores/hundreds killed in Hurricanes or Typhoons or thousands of people killed in an earthquakes or or hundreds of thousands killed by a tsunami? - In Canada? Road fatalities, try India for size. Canada dangerous LOL.....
People can die from hot weather in certain places (eg. India) but people also die from cold weather in places like Toronto. Otherwise there would be no cold weather alerts and people wouldn't be concerned about bringing homeless people indoors. Edinburgh wouldn't really have to worry about extremes of heat or cold as much.
All those other natural disasters you mentioned have also happened in Canada in the past and will happen again at some point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
People can die from hot weather in certain places (eg. India) but people also die from cold weather in places like Toronto. Otherwise there would be no cold weather alerts and people wouldn't be concerned about bringing homeless people indoors. Edinburgh wouldn't really have to worry about extremes of heat or cold as much.
All those other natural disasters you mentioned have also happened in Canada in the past and will happen again at some point in the future.
People can die from exposure almost anywhere. As a matter of fact, i'd say someone who is homeless generally has a host of concerns to worry about other than simply the elements. That is finding reliable shelter and food and avoiding dying from addiction. To put things in perspective however, Canada's two largest cities, Toronto and Montreal have cold winters. How many people die from exposure in these two cities? I think you'll find the numbers very small in relation to their size. Deneb, Vancouver isn't the only city in Canada with things called houses, and buildings and condominiums all of which have reliable heating. Would you believe I have something called a car with a heater and even heated seats - nifty eh - yup these things exist in Canada outside of British Columbia..

As for natural and weather disasters (Tornado's, Hurricanes, Typhoons), I can think of many, many countries who suffer far more human deaths at the hands of those than Canada. I'm fairly certain, more people die in the U.S each year as a result of Tornado's and Hurricanes than the number of people who die in Canada because of a cold winter. I'd posit the combined deaths in Canada due to weather and other natural phenomena is probably on the very low side of the spectrum.

Here is a lemon for ya

http://phys.org/news/2010-12-austral...in-cancer.html

another

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia

When the heck have you heard of 173 people dying in Canada due to a Bushfire..?

Last edited by fusion2; 04-06-2016 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM

10,133 posts, read 11,893,641 times
Quote:
People can die from exposure almost anywhere. As a matter of fact, i'd say someone who is homeless generally has a host of concerns to worry about other than simply the elements. That is finding reliable shelter and food and avoiding dying from addiction. To put things in perspective however, Canada's two largest cities, Toronto and Montreal have cold winters. How many people die from exposure in these two cities? I think you'll find the numbers very small in relation to their size. Deneb, Vancouver isn't the only city in Canada with things called houses, and buildings and condominiums all of which have reliable heating. Would you believe I have something called a car with a heater and even heated seats - nifty eh - yup these things exist in Canada outside of British Columbia..

As for natural and weather disasters (Tornado's, Hurricanes, Typhoons), I can think of many, many countries who suffer far more human deaths at the hands of those than Canada. I'm fairly certain, more people die in the U.S each year as a result of Tornado's and Hurricanes than the number of people who die in Canada because of a cold winter. I'd posit the combined deaths in Canada due to weather and other natural phenomena is probably on the very low side of the spectrum.

Here is a lemon for ya

Australians have world's highest rate of skin cancer: study

another

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia

When the heck have you heard of 173 people dying in Canada due to a Bushfire..?
I know the rest of Canada has heating and infrastructure in winter. That wasn't the point.
Anyone can get skin cancer... it depends on a number of factors.
Canada has bushfires too. The BC interior gets them every year where people lose their homes and can even die. It's just not as widespread as Australia but they most certainly occur.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:24 PM

21,951 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:
19 is still pretty low.. If Toronto had high's of only 19 (esp in july/august) in the summer it'd be a big bummer to me. Sorry, big fail!
I also really don't care about latitude, I care about the ambient weather of a place. If its sucks 4 or 5 months of the year it better be good the rest. Kinda sucky all year just sucks. Sorry Edinburgh- Fail! Other cities would fall along Edinburgh's lines too if in what is supposed to be hot summer months they are only kinda/sorta hot.. Fail to them too!
An average max of 19 means that your cooler days might be around 14 and your warm days will be around 22.

Plus your average sunshine hours are only around 1400. Just over half the sunshine hours in the summer that you'd get in Toronto.

Doesn't sound like much of a reward after a winter where it's 5 and grey and rainy.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,355,222 times
I have friends that went to Edinburgh last summer for two weeks, and they said it was cold and cloudy, they had to wear jackets the whole time they were there, except for one kind of mild day, no thanks, sounds just aweful.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:59 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,269,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I have friends that went to Edinburgh last summer for two weeks, and they said it was cold and cloudy, they had to wear jackets the whole time they were there, except for one kind of mild day, no thanks, sounds just aweful.
Canada has the kind of pristine wilderness and animal life most other countries can only dream about. You can have a cottage in the wilderness for quiet retreats with nature quite easily there or enjoy the multicultural atmosphere of one of their big cities. Yes, the weather can be harsh, but if you are used to that sort of thing (like any Nordic or Russian or Korean or Northern Chinese or many others would be) then you can appreciate Canada for what it offers.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:44 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
I don't know... why having to wear a jacket (I assume it is not a down jacket) makes a trip awful? I went to the UK during Christmas, went to Lisbon and Barcelona in Feb, went to south of France this Jan, and had to wear a jacket most of the time (temperature in lower teens), but the trips were all pleasant. I just fail to understand why wearing jackets (assume the temperature is about 15C?) made them so unhappy. It is not like it is freezing and you can't walk comfortably outside for 10 minutes.

Unless they were expecting a "summer vacation", doing all the water related activities, in which case it is their fault not to have done their research well.

Last edited by botticelli; 04-07-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Canada has the kind of pristine wilderness and animal life most other countries can only dream about. You can have a cottage in the wilderness for quiet retreats with nature quite easily there or enjoy the multicultural atmosphere of one of their big cities. Yes, the weather can be harsh, but if you are used to that sort of thing (like any Nordic or Russian or Korean or Northern Chinese or many others would be) then you can appreciate Canada for what it offers.
Well most countries are not as huge as Canada. But Canada is definitely not that rare in terms offering wilderness and animal life. I saw plenty of that in south Argentina or Chile. Wild animals, can't compare with Serengeti or Galapagos. In Canada, people get all excited in detecting a bear 200 meters away. Even in congested China, there is plenty of those in its wild wild west, northwest and southwest (Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Yunan, Guizhou, Sichuan etc). In Europe you have the pyrennees so close to the big city of Toulouse, the alps close to Munich etc and other mountains and lakes, not to mention large countries such the US, Russia, Australia or Brazil. Who indeed need to dream about those? Singapore?

The problem is most people, including a lot who were born and raise in Canada (lots of Canadians hate the weather here), are never used to this kind of weather, because humans are more or less similar in terms of what kind of climate is considered agreeable and what is considered harsh. It is by no means a small matter.

Last edited by botticelli; 04-07-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,355,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't know... why having to wear a jacket (I assume it is not a down jacket) makes a trip awful? I went to the UK during Christmas, went to Lisbon and Barcelona in Feb, went to south of France this Jan, and had to wear a jacket most of the time (temperature in lower teens), but the trips were all pleasant. I just fail to understand why wearing jackets (assume the temperature is about 15C?) made them so unhappy. It is not like it is freezing and you can't walk comfortably outside for 10 minutes.

Unless they were expecting a "summer vacation", doing all the water related activities, in which case it is their fault not to have done their research well.
Because it was windy, cold and sometimes rainy, and it was summer, that is just **** weather. If it was cool but sunny and not windy it wouldn't be so bad, but it wasn't.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Because it was windy, cold and sometimes rainy, and it was summer, that is just **** weather. If it was cool but sunny and not windy it wouldn't be so bad, but it wasn't.
Rain ruins all vacations, whether it is 15C or 30C. Your friends just happen to be unlucky. My point is you can't say Edinburgh has bad summers based on their experience.

I went to Vancouver with my mother in late Sept and it rained 4 days out of 7 we were there. Luckily I never encountered too much rain in any other city I traveled to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or