Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:56 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You can have changing of seasons without anyone of them being uncomfortable.
Nice, France has pretty well defined seasons without any one of them being very uncomfortable. It's also at the same latitude as Toronto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice#Climate
I'd hardly call that a winter either. The all time low in Nice is rather close to how low the average low gets to Pittsburgh in January, and Pittsburgh is over 3 degrees further south in latitude. Even Atlanta is colder in December and January than there on average and they sit at 33.75 N. Nice basically has October weather for 6 months of the year though, which I wouldn't mind too much.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 04-15-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:30 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'd hardly call that a winter either. The all time low in Nice is rather close to how low the average low gets to Pittsburgh in January, and Pittsburgh is over 3 degrees further south in latitude. Nice basically has October weather for 6 months of the year though, which I wouldn't mind too much.
Pittsburgh has a rather severe climate by global standards though and only slightly better than most of Canada. It does not really have comfortable seasons because winter is too cold on a global scale and spring and fall are too erratic.

Atlanta is bang on of what a winter should be to be considered comfortable by most and yet still considered to have a winter.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'd hardly call that a winter either. The all time low in Nice is rather close to how low the average low gets to Pittsburgh in January, and Pittsburgh is over 3 degrees further south in latitude. Even Atlanta is colder in December and January than there on average and they sit at 33.75 N. Nice basically has October weather for 6 months of the year though, which I wouldn't mind too much.
I noticed you've mentioned latitudes a few times in some of your posts and am wondering if you realize that latitudes are not so important in determining temperatures of specific locations. It's the jet streams that determine temperatures and the jet streams meander up and down all over the globe in a sort of sine wave pattern. The oceans are the engines that drive the jet streams and the jet streams can change locations in their flow from day to day, week to week and month to month both above and below all latitudes around the globe bringing cold or hot temperatures to those locations in the most unexpected ways and at most unexpected times.

I think you need to do some research about the jet streams and how they effect the global weather and temperatures at ALL latitudes, and look for yourself at some of the diagrams online that show how the jet streams are unpredictable in their movement and can be all over the place at any given time. See example below in the first diagram of how (c) a drop in the jet stream can cause a drop in temperatures even as far down as nearer to the equator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream

Quote:
Meanders of the Northern Hemisphere's polar jet stream developing (a), (b); then finally detaching a "drop" of cold air (c). Orange: warmer masses of air; pink: jet stream.

Quote:
General configuration of the polar and subtropical jet streams

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-15-2016 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada