Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 03:48 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I didn't insinuate Yellowknife is snow covered in snow. I am not that ignorant.

I am not saying all Canadians are dying to get away and consider their lives miserable. No. My point is the Canadian weather is a huge negative factor for country (which is the topic of this thread), and people would prefer if there were better choices. On the other hand, others are pretending "The weather doesn't have any negative effect on my life. I love the Canadian weather as it is" - which is cliché and not credible.

Canada would be a much better place if the climate is more agreeable, do you agree or not?
I don't know if I agree or not. It would depend on 'what' I was agreeing or disagreeing with and you haven't provided the 'what' as a point of reference. So ......

Can you please provide your personal definition of an 'agreeable' climate?

Can you please explain how Canada is negatively effected by its present climate?

Do you believe there are any positives to Canada's present climate?

Can you please explain how Canada's environment and all living things/beings would be impacted and be better if the climate was more 'agreeable' (as per your definition of agreeable)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:50 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I don't really like winter but i'm not homeless and i can afford warm clothes so it doesn't really bother me that much. I like the variety in climates and i don't think (in my position) moving away from MN to a place in the south would be a good idea.
true. but the question is, if everything else is the same, would you prefer if MN is warmer in the winter?

Why don't people get the point here:

We are talking about whether you like for example

Toronto, or (hypothetically) Toronto but with Philadelphia/Washington DC's weather (four seasons but milder winters).

We are not asking you to choose between Toronto and Los Angeles/Houston!

Is it so hard to understand? Why do people keeping say "I am not moving to a place just because it is warmer"? Nobody is asking you to make that decision! It is about whether better weather would make Canada a better and more successful place.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,193,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is about whether better weather would make Canada a better and more successful place.
Yes, beyond a doubt.

I like my more money, but the single biggest reason I won't move back is that I can't deal with six to nine months of ***** weather a year.

(neat trivia, City-Data censors French curses. The * are for the French word for poop)

Old 09-22-2015, 04:00 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,622,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't know if I agree or not. It would depend on 'what' I was agreeing or disagreeing with and you haven't provided the 'what' as a point of reference. So ......

Can you please provide your personal definition of an 'agreeable' climate?

Can you please explain how Canada is negatively effected by its present climate?

Do you believe there are any positives to Canada's present climate?

Can you please explain how Canada's environment and all living things/beings would be impacted and be better if the climate was more 'agreeable' (as per your definition of agreeable)?

No, I can't explain, because you never for once admitted anything negative about Canada, so how can I convince anyone whose mind is already made up?

Canada is perfect, including its climate. The 8 month rain is Vancouver is delightful and the freezing winters in Montreal are beautiful.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:39 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,842,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Yes, beyond a doubt.

I like my more money, but the single biggest reason I won't move back is that I can't deal with six to nine months of ***** weather a year.

(neat trivia, City-Data censors French curses. The * are for the French word for poop)

Is it really that bad up there for 6 months to 9 months? Jeez that leaves little shoulder season.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,842,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd love to be in this situation. I have to admit that I'm quite envious

I have to admit that the idea of jumping ship and moving to a warmer climate in CA, AZ, TX or the Southeast has probably crossed a lot of minds of Americans that don't like really cold winters.And knowing that it isn't hard to do at all is kind of comforting. Emigrating really is a very big deal.

I remember meeting a guy at a conference a few years ago that had moved to Charleston SC from Minnesota. He was never going back to cold winters. After reading a lot of this thread I am starting to think it is a big drawback for Canada to have no real warm winter territory for citizens that don't like brutal cold. I've seen Brits on Expat forums flatly rule out Canada due to the cold winters.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 PM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Try German.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:48 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is borderline poetic... but I agree with the general spirit.

I don't always like all aspects of our climate all of the time, but I am sure this is true of people who live in other climates as well.

One good thing about it IMO is scenery-wise and recreationally, it's almost like switching countries when the seasons change.
I agree it was a great post and I also agree with yours.. Sometimes you learn to appreciate what others don't.. Speaking of seasonal changes - We get quite a few Japan Airlines charters coming in specifically during the autumn to see the changing of the colours.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Is it really that bad up there for 6 months to 9 months? Jeez that leaves little shoulder season.
I grew up and lived most of my adult life (to this point) in Alberta. You can get snow, literally, any month of the year. "Summer" is approximately 8-10 weeks long. Spring doesn't really start until mid-April/May, and you can start to feel the chill in the air by Labour Day.

No it's not -20 for more than a handful of days every winter, but six months of frozen brown, dead, dusty alternating with snow then slush and ice, then repeat.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Try German.
Scheize

Success!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada