Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Everything depends on where you are in Canada, of course.

Toronto has slightly better weather than Chicago, and is not all thatdifferent from Boston or even New York. .
Where do you get this? Toronto's climate is much closer to Chicago's than it is to Boston or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:02 AM

430 posts, read 835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Where do you get this? Toronto's climate is much closer to Chicago's than it is to Boston or NYC.
Yep, you and I agree. I said it was slightly better than Chicago and not ALL THAT different (but still different) from Boston and NYC.

The "Windy City" has a little lower temperature and windchill than Toronto in the winter, and is slightly hotter and more humid in the summers. So it's unquestionably slightly worse than Toronto in climate, whether you hate the cold or heat or both. I'm not arguing that the difference is at all noticeable in daily life, however.

And Boston and New York aren't orders of magnitude different either, even as they're both better than Chicago or Toronto. I only meant that the few degrees Celsius different doesn't really lead to any lifestyle differences between the major cities of Canada (or Chicago) and the major megalopolis (BosWash) of the USA.

The real climate differences, those that significantly change lifestyles, come when you start comparing California or states south of Washington, D.C., to Canadian cities.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Everything depends on where you are in Canada, of course.

Toronto has slightly better weather than Chicago, and is not all thatdifferent from Boston or even New York.

I went to Gay Pride once in Toronto in June and it was beautiful. Toronto has a good summer. However, I completely disagree with your statement above.

If you compare the airport in Toronto with the airport in Chicago (O'Hare), Toronto is actually colder in winter. The daily mean temp in Jan is -5.5C in Toronto, and -4.6 in Chicago. Also, summer is warmer in Chicago. The yearly mean temp in Chicago is 9.9C, and 8C in Toronto.

I mention this in regards to comparisons with NYC. Toronto is much colder in winter than NYC or Philadelphia. Think of it this way. The warmest winter on record in Chicago is barely an "average" winter in NYC or Philly. And winter 2014 in NYC and Philly was like an avg winter in Toronto. Everyone here talked about how brutal 2014 winter was. Well imagine if that was an "average" winter.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yep, you and I agree. I said it was slightly better than Chicago and not ALL THAT different (but still different) from Boston and NYC.

The "Windy City" has a little lower temperature and windchill than Toronto in the winter, and is slightly hotter and more humid in the summers. So it's unquestionably slightly worse than Toronto in climate, whether you hate the cold or heat or both. I'm not arguing that the difference is at all noticeable in daily life, however.

And Boston and New York aren't orders of magnitude different either, even as they're both better than Chicago or Toronto. I only meant that the few degrees Celsius different doesn't really lead to any lifestyle differences between the major cities of Canada (or Chicago) and the major megalopolis (BosWash) of the USA.

The real climate differences, those that significantly change lifestyles, come when you start comparing California or states south of Washington, D.C., to Canadian cities.

You have to look airport to airport. O'Hare airport is actually warmer than Pierson airport in January. If you look at Enviro Canada website, the weather station for "Toronto" does not meet WMO standards. It is sitting downtown in the middle of the UHI. Can't use it to compare to O'Hare which does meet WMO standards. Pierson meets WMO. And Pierson is colder than O'Hare in January. And O'Hare is even warmer in February.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:

I think there is a pretty big difference in winter lifestyle between an avg high of 40F in Jan vs 29F. They don't even average above freezing in Toronto in winter. That is brutal cold compared to here. I've been there in February twice, and it was orders of magnitude colder if you ask me. I felt "warm" when I came back to Philly with no snow on the ground temps well above freezing.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
true. but the question is, if everything else is the same, would you prefer if MN is warmer in the winter?

Why don't people get the point here:

We are talking about whether you like for example

Toronto, or (hypothetically) Toronto but with Philadelphia/Washington DC's weather (four seasons but milder winters).

We are not asking you to choose between Toronto and Los Angeles/Houston!

Is it so hard to understand? Why do people keeping say "I am not moving to a place just because it is warmer"? Nobody is asking you to make that decision! It is about whether better weather would make Canada a better and more successful place.
Well most of us live in the real world where we can't change climates so i didn't think we were talking about that.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:03 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well most of us live in the real world where we can't change climates so i didn't think we were talking about that.
agree, but that's sort of what this thread is about.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:11 PM

430 posts, read 835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The irony is that we are changing the climate every day. The vegetation hardiness scale is advancing from south to north in North America at a rate of three meters per year, thanks to human-invoked carbon release. I read somewhere that Toronto is expected to have the climate that Tennessee does today before the end of this century.

Soon enough, Canadians will be moving north rather than south for climate reasons.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:12 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
"I want snow-capped mountains in Florida--that place is a failure in terms of topography."

"And I want rainforest in Arizona, seriously what a ecological failure."

Now, how silly do those sound...

Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
agree, but that's sort of what this thread is about.
Yeah, i see the most high quality of life places in cold regions and the most poor regions in the world in hot regions so i assume that the weather has a big role to play... however its probably just a big coincidence.

Quote:
The irony is that we are changing the climate every day. The vegetation hardiness scale is advancing from south to north in North America at a rate of three meters per year, thanks to human-invoked carbon release. I read somewhere that Toronto is expected to have the climate that Tennessee does today before the end of this century.

Soon enough, Canadians will be moving north rather than south for climate reasons.
Well we won't be alive than so it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada