Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 10,668 times

Advertisements

What a big circle jerk. People here pretend that deneb is the crazy one but only a complete idiot is so stupid to think that the climate in Canada is not one of the very worst that exists in this earth. I wonder why Canadians flock to warm places if Canadian meteorologie is so nice. Do you see people leaving in cars to bronze themselves in the sun of Yellowknife? I don't see it.

Four seasons? Only an idiot actually believes anywhere in Canada has real 4 seasons. More like two seasons. Winter and not winter. I am confident enough to say that the climate is one of the biggest negatives of Canada. I think everyone who isn't a mindless robot knows this. Ask anyone from any country in the world what comes to mind when they think of Canada. It is not a balanced climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I agree I don't understand these complaints. They are most likely coming from Americans. Sure I'll complain about the odd -40 degree day when I'm standing outside waiting for the bus, but overall I don't really care about the cold winter as I'm used to it.
Really? Because I know the first response to smallest criticisms is to say that it's just Americans. Think GM10, the US is the second coldest country in the Americas. Do you think people in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Argentina, Uruguay should I go on, do you think they find Canada inhabitable? Most humans will never consider to live in Canada only thanks to the climate. For my job we work internationally and it is a very common question that "how do you live in such a cold place". When I tell people the climate they are almost always shocked look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What starts in October? Leaves falling? Oh, so dreadful. I might have to bake a pumpkin pie to survive a Canadian "winter" in October and November. Goodness, I might even need to wear, gasp, a light sweater! Please. Most of Canada lives near the US border and has a very pleasant 4 seasons climate. Winters are cold, but God invented hockey for a reason, eh? Go put on yer skates and quit yer birchin'!
Snow starts in October. I will never understand the common mentality of "love it or leave it". If you think Canada has a bad climate that makes you a human being not a bad person. Anyone who thinks Canada has a "pleasant" climate is either an idiot or lying. Usually just lying because we have no other option to pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I agree I don't understand these complaints. They are most likely coming from Americans. Sure I'll complain about the odd -40 degree day when I'm standing outside waiting for the bus, but overall I don't really care about the cold winter as I'm used to it.
You'd be incorrect when it comes to me. I was born and raised in Canada. I still live in Canada, but by circumstance, not choice.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:28 PM

800 posts, read 730,253 times
Im glad there are Canadians on this board that can think objectively. It is statisically one of the coldest in the world. I don't know why many canadian get insecure about it. It's cold. Our national sport is played in ice. Our weather is extremely cold for the most part. Nothing wrong with it. Don't act like it's not cold though. That is a blatant lie.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Im glad there are Canadians on this board that can think objectively. It is statisically one of the coldest in the world. I don't know why many canadian get insecure about it. It's cold. Our national sport is played in ice. Our weather is extremely cold for the most part. Nothing wrong with it. Don't act like it's not cold though. That is a blatant lie.
Statistics aside - Go outside right now.. Is it cold? Was it cold today.. Was the sun shining. Was it 23 degrees.. Yes it was.. What statistics do is give you an average over a year or a season.. So when its really really cold for 4 months it drags down the average for the year - however we don't feel a yearly average at any given time, we feel its either hot/warm or cool/cold at any given time.. In the winter its damned cold but from Mid April to the end of October not really and its only really cold from December until the end of March.

That is really what people are saying.. Its putting things into perspective and not succumbing to people who insist that its cold all the time and that that is it, now that would be the blatant lie.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-27-2015 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne_gauthier View Post

Snow starts in October. I will never understand the common mentality of "love it or leave it". If you think Canada has a bad climate that makes you a human being not a bad person. Anyone who thinks Canada has a "pleasant" climate is either an idiot or lying. Usually just lying because we have no other option to pick.
Snow starts in October!!??. Not where I live.. We don't usually get our first dusting and I mean a dusting of snow until into November and the first real snowfall doesn't typically take place until December.. Its rare that we would get snow in April.. The last blast is almost always in March.

Canada is a big country... I would say where I live which has an extended urban area accounting for 1/4th the population of Canada - its pleasant to nice 7-8 mths of the year while 4-5 months are unpleasant to pretty crappy. It depends on how you look at things.. I don't think any Canadian would say we have an ideal climate, but we have adapted.. Just like those who think Canada is a cold country they simply aren't aware of the year round climate where most people live in the country - they just think of cold, snow and ice when it comes to our weather.. I've travelled enough to know that this is how people think Canada is ALL the time and they are actually surprised when I show them the seasonal temperatures of where i'm from.. Only the winter confirms what they thought was 'Canada'

Last edited by fusion2; 09-27-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 09:33 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,376 times
A cold -10 degree day with nothing but blue skies, no wind, and lots of snow glistening by the sun is my idea of a perfect winter day. While others think a perfect winter day 12c and rain. Everyone has different preferences and it is perfectly okay to say you enjoy Canada's climate.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Statistics aside - Go outside right now.. Is it cold? Was it cold today.. Was the sun shining. Was it 23 degrees.. Yes it was.. What statistics do is give you an average over a year or a season.. So when its really really cold for 4 months it drags down the average for the year - however we don't feel a yearly average at any given time, we feel its either hot/warm or cool/cold at any given time.. In the winter its damned cold but from Mid April to the end of October not really and its only really cold from December until the end of March.

That is really what people are saying.. Its putting things into perspective and not succumbing to people who insist that its cold all the time and that that is it, now that would be the blatant lie.
Summer just ended though. It supposed to be mild. I did say most of the time it is cold. It's a cold country don't know why Canadians are so insistent it is not. Let's see how the weather is 2 months from now. Then I guess it's a better time to discuss how cold it is here.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its not about insecurity or a lack of confidence, its providing context and information to people who don't understand and are ignorant of where most people live in the country.. Most people in Canada don't live in tundra/arctic and that is a fact.. Canada only has 35 million people, there is more than enough space to house the majority in areas that aren't tundra/arctic. That area is considerably larger/multiple times than the UK which has almost 70 million people. Southern Ontario alone is larger than the UK.

Here is the weather forecast for Toronto and NYC over the next 14 days..

Toronto, Ontario - 14 Day Weather Trend - The Weather Network

New York, New York - 14 Day Weather Trend - The Weather Network:

Torontonians give a rats b hole about the tundra or arctic anymore than someone from NYC, Chicago or Boston would.
Nyc and boston and Chicago are cold cities though. And we have colder temperatures then them. The weather here is cold. It's canada.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:09 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Even if harsh winters were only 2 months in duration, for me that disqualify a place as a livable one...one year I spent almost 3 months in Calgary in winter...never ever again Jose.

I take Miami, Austin or Palm Spring weather year around over any place in Canada.

Just today I went out for dinner with my friend from Chicago....yes, he confirmed that older folks cannot wait to get out of there in winter if they can afford it.

Quote:
One that has been asked before and answered aplenty.

Yes you did and exactly proven the "Canada lousy weather" argument

I never heard of Texans or Floridians flocking to Chicago in summer......but you do go to Florida in winter....even hot, humid weather is more bearable than brutatally cold weather.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Summer just ended though. It supposed to be mild. I did say most of the time it is cold. It's a cold country don't know why Canadians are so insistent it is not. Let's see how the weather is 2 months from now. Then I guess it's a better time to discuss how cold it is here.
Sure its cold in the winter - from December to March - nobody at all is challenging that but why the heck are you only focussing on 4 months of the year and why are you only focussing on the 80 percent of the nation that has negligible human habitation?.. April to May gets increasingly warmer just as October to November becomes increasingly cooler but they aren't exactly cold or freezing cold months either.. As I said, Canada is a big country - locate southern Ontario on a map and find Toronto.. Use the same line of latitude that Toronto is on and go due east and due west - which country directly borders us on our line of latitude both sides? - HINT its not our own country....

Quote:
Nyc and boston and Chicago are cold cities though. And we have colder temperatures then them. The weather here is cold. It's canada.
Well relatively speaking they aren't year round hot cities but like Toronto I wouldn't classify them as cold across the board.. Not sure how anyone can discount a place that is warm to hot half the year as cold..

Last edited by fusion2; 09-27-2015 at 11:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada