Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Average temperature is useless. When you go outside you experience the temperature at that time only - not a seasonal or yearly average.. When I went outside today, I didn't say oh its cool because the 7 month average high temperature is only 15 C..

So when I went out today as I have for the last 4-5 months its been warm to hot.. When I go out in mid November its chilly and when I go out in mid Dec or Jan its cold when I go out in mid April its generally cool but mid May and its warm - but now with 21-23 c its very pleasant warm to hot.. That's all I care about.

Everyone is going to have there own preferences.. I went to Lisbon last year in February and the temperature during the day was 15 C.. It was perfect for me.. It wasn't too hot and left me with plenty of energy to explore the city (fantastic city btw) without constantly feeling parched... Now try going to Marrakech in the winter for some truly weird weather - you get 21 deg c during the day but at night goes down to almost 0 C.. It may be nice during the day but at night you need to put on a heater!

As much as I love S.E Asia - most of the year you go outside and its like entering into a blast furnace. I don't enjoy that at all and its would be tough to bear for me year round.. I guess i'd have to be born there and adapt to that - well sounds like a familiar tune doesn't it - that we sort of adapt to weather.

I'm not going to lie, I don't enjoy Toronto winters one iota but i'm not going to allow 4-5 months of weather I don't love to ruin my life lol - There are plenty of other aspects to life than 1/3 of the years weather sucking that I do like about where I live.. My sweet spot is between 15 - 22 deg and for me would be an ideal year round climate.
You're wasting your breath with some of these doofus's. Last evening was a BBQ on the deck of the neighbour behind us and the theme was a craft beer exchange. Everyoe brought a selection of craft beers to sample and contributed a salad or something to augment his BBQ Ribs and Chicken Skewers. Gee, there we all were gazing at the unusually bright and beautiful moon at 11pm while listening to his collection of old rock guitar greats over bluetooth speakers. Terrible I tell ya, just simply terrible, being outside gazing at the moon all mellowed out like that.

Someone obviously let down their side by not dropping in and telling us how uncomfortable and "insecure" we were supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 AM

800 posts, read 730,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're wasting your breath with some of these doofus's. Last evening was a BBQ on the deck of the neighbour behind us and the theme was a craft beer exchange. Everyoe brought a selection of craft beers to sample and contributed a salad or something to augment his BBQ Ribs and Chicken Skewers. Gee, there we all were gazing at the unusually bright and beautiful moon at 11pm while listening to his collection of old rock guitar greats over bluetooth speakers. Terrible I tell ya, just simply terrible, being outside gazing at the moon all mellowed out like that.

Someone obviously let down their side by not dropping in and telling us how uncomfortable and "insecure" we were supposed to be.
I read you left for Florida in the winter months. Is that true?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Toronto for 7 months has an average high temperature at 15 C or less....that is cold for me...sorry...
Higher temperature doesn't mean better weather.

May-September is mostly great weather in Toronto. April and October are shoulder seasons and in generally are comfortable enough as well. There is nothing to complain about when you only need to put on a sweater to walk outside. So 7 out of 12 months you can't say it is too cold.

Even the average low of Nov is still a couple of degrees above zero. With the relatively low humidity, I don't think it feels that bad. You know temperature itself can be very misleading. In Shanghai, a humid city, it feels absolutely freezing when it is 2 degrees outside, and zero degrees warrants a cold alert, but in Toronto, when we have a +2 day in the winter, it feels totally tolerable. I never turn on the heater in November during my 7.5 years stay here.

I would say the months of March and December are what I consider "normal winter" elsewhere. Chilly but not face numbing cold. It is kind of winter most people don't like but can tolerate. This is the kind of winter people have in mind when they talk about "four seasons". Let's not kid ourselves in thinking people like -15C when they talk about "four seasons".

Toronto's January/February are what I consider miserable and out of the comfortable zone most people can bear. Coupled with the extremely short day light and lack of sun, it is simply bad bad bad, and not what most people would want to put up with if they had a choice. Those who say "it is not that bad, you just need some layers" are just kidding themselves. They are just in denial. I hate it so much that I have asked for a leave of absence this year during these two months. yeah, this is how much I resent it.

Those who say "our weather is not bad at all" but choose to stay out in some warm place every winter, well, I will just say you have zero credibility. It is like saying "I am no racist" but not having a single non-white friend.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
I read you left for Florida in the winter months. Is that true?
At least make a token effort to keep up with the discussion; refer to posts number 275 & 6 of this thread for "asked and answered".

Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

May-September is mostly great weather in Toronto. April and October are shoulder seasons and in generally are comfortable enough as well. There is nothing to complain about when you only need to put on a sweater to walk outside. So 7 out of 12 months you can't say it is too cold.

Even the average low of Nov is still a couple of degrees above zero. With the relatively low humidity, I don't think it feels that bad. You know temperature itself can be very misleading. In Shanghai, a humid city, it feels absolutely freezing when it is 2 degrees outside, and zero degrees warrants a cold alert, but in Toronto, when we have a +2 day in the winter, it feels totally tolerable. I never turn on the heater in November during my 7.5 years stay here.

I would say the months of March and December are what I consider "normal winter" elsewhere. Chilly but not face numbing cold. It is kind of winter most people don't like but can tolerate. This is the kind of winter people have in mind when they talk about "four seasons". Let's not kid ourselves in thinking people like -15C when they talk about "four seasons".

Toronto's January/February are what I consider miserable and out of the comfortable zone most people can bear. Coupled with the extremely short day light and lack of sun, it is simply bad bad bad, and not what most people would want to put up with if they had a choice. Those who say "it is not that bad, you just need some layers" are just kidding themselves. They are just in denial. I hate it so much that I have asked for a leave of absence this year during these two months. yeah, this is how much I resent it.

Those who say "our weather is not bad at all" but choose to stay out in some warm place every winter, well, I will just say you have zero credibility. It is like saying "I am no racist" but not having a single non-white friend.
Haaar; what a simplistic load of crappola. Nice opportunistic touch equating it to racism.

I've spent more winters in Canada than you've had hot meals Botti. That gives me all the credibility required to have an opinion contrary to the whining about a country being a fail due to it's climate.

One could surmise anyone living in the heart of a thriving city has less relevance to discuss winter months than people actually having to commute in concert with snowplow route timing as a daily consideration.

When was the last time you had to chain up to get over the hump between you and the next town?

You crack me up!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Haaar; what a simplistic load of crappola. Nice opportunistic touch equating it to racism.

I've spent more winters in Canada than you've had hot meals Botti. That gives me all the credibility required to have an opinion contrary to the whining about a country being a fail due to it's climate.

One could surmise anyone living in the heart of a thriving city has less relevance to discuss winter months than people actually having to commute in concert with snowplow route timing as a daily consideration.

When was the last time you had to chain up to get over the hump between you and the next town?

You crack me up!
You spent many winters back in the day you had to, I suppose? Now the minute you don't HAVE to any more, you flee to Florida every winter.

That's the truth. Why Florida? Because it is WARMER. Is it high treason for Canadians to admit the fact that they hate the cold winters? Is national pride involved in this?

Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
You spent many winters back in the day you had to, I suppose? Now the minute you don't HAVE to any more, you flee to Florida every winter.

That's the truth. Why Florida? Because it is WARMER. Is it high treason for Canadians to admit the fact that they hate the cold winters? Is national pride involved in this?
You totally missed the same posts another one did I guess where I explained both my wife and I had multiple weeks of vacation entitlement that could be taken at any time of the year we desired and CHOOSING, while younger, to stay in the northern climes as we were at an age to enjoy the winter sports of snowmobiling, down hill skiing and cross country. With no children and decent incomes we had all the freedom we required to go anywhere, anytime.

AGE my friend; age and the joint issues that go with it, is the reason we cannot indulge those winter hobbies any more.

Tell you what......want to trade places? I'll take your age and you can have mine, and all that goes with it, and I promise you .....I'd be back out to Whistler skiing powder before you could get out of bed, and for a change up, scoot back over to the eastern townships to partake of their trails and lodges before you could get to happy hour.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:28 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:

Botticelli did not start the thread about Canada being a failure because of its weather, someone else did

You go to Florida every winter because it's warmer...case closed...no more needs to be said.

Quote:
Tell you what......want to trade places? I'll take your age and you can have mine, and all that goes with it, and I promise you .....I'd be back out to Whistler skiing powder before you could get out of bed, and for a change up, scoot back over to the eastern townships to partake of their trails and lodges before you could get to happy hour.

Not all senior people with joint problems go (or can afford to) to Florida for the winter...you do.....

Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
True, but generally it does....I find hard to tolerate only real South East Asian level of humidity, even Miami in summer is fine.

Again, I never head of anyone (young or senior) moving from Miami to Seattle in summer.....but sure snowbirds flock to Florida in winter.....

Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Botticelli did not start the thread about Canada being a failure because of its weather, someone else did

And we are all contributing different viewpoints to that thread are we not? I'm responding to one of Botti's.

You go to Florida every winter because it's warmer...case closed...no more needs to be said.

While still having the option, we remained in Canada for the winter months; case re-opened.

Not all senior people with joint problems go (or can afford to) to Florida for the winter...you do

Yes we do AND consider ourselves fortunate beyond comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada