Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 10:31 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking a lot about the fact that Canadians get the short-end of the stick when it comes to range of climates compared to almost all other developed nations and we're actually quite pitiful in that regard considering we are the 2nd largest country in the world. If you look at almost all other developed countries, all their citizens have the ability to live or move to somewhere of the climate of their choice.

For example:

-The USA has Florida or Hawaii for heat lovers and Alaska and Minnesota for cold lovers
-The EU has the Schengen Agreement with the rest of the EU. How many Brits now live in Spain these days due to warm weather? Spaniards can move to Scandinavia if they want to also.
-Australia and New Zealand has an agreement whereby citizens of each country can live in the other one for hot or cold/cool climates
-Japan has Okinawa which is subtropical and Hokkaido for cold climate lovers

So it seems that Canadians only have cold climates to choose from and Vancouver where I live is not exactly a warm climate on a global scale If we want to move to a subtropical or tropical climate permanently at least during our working years, it's not really possible without jumping through all kinds of immigration hoops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
I've become accustomed to weather here. I don't mind 4 seasons really.. At this time of the year as things become gradually cooler I kind of feel refreshed after a hot summer.. I don't really like Dec-Mar but its not that big of a deal.. I usually travel 2 weeks in the colder winter months and before you know it spring is around the corner. I also like a cold Christmas.. I find with 4 seasons just as soon as you are sick of one the other is rolling around.. I'm not sure i'd be happy in a climate that was more constant.

It doesn't keep me up at night or leave me envious.. Its called making the best of a situation and appreciating the positive aspects of it.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Canada didn't shape its own climate, it is the climate that shaped Canada and Canadians. So I would say Canada is not a fail in terms of climate because it has shaped a great country and people. The climate is what it is and there's nothing to be done about it except to cope with it and make the best of it and that's exactly what Canadians do and have done a good job of it. Many Canadians enjoy their climate anyway and most Canadians are practical and pragmatic about what we've chosen for ourselves. I think people who are really miserable and unable to cope with the climate eventually leave permanently for softer climes. If they're desperate enough then where there's a will there's a way to leave.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Pitiful? The 2nd largest country in the world, that happens to reside in the northern hemisphere. What do you want us to do, change the tilt of the earth?

I like 4 seasons. And where I live, I get a perfect mix of everything. Look at all the people who live in the northern States. They have the option to go south, but they don't, because they like where they are. You hardly even get snow, so I have no idea what you're complaining about. I do wish Turks and Caicos would finally join us though.

You're always going on about living in the States, or the "cold", yet here you are. Get off your keister and do something about it already.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Pitiful? The 2nd largest country in the world, that happens to reside in the northern hemisphere. What do you want us to do, change the tilt of the earth?

I like 4 seasons. And where I live, I get a perfect mix of everything. Look at all the people who live in the northern States. They have the option to go south, but they don't, because they like where they are. You hardly even get snow, so I have no idea what you're complaining about. I do wish Turks and Caicos would finally join us though.

You're always going on about living in the States, or the "cold", yet here you are. Get off your keister and do something about it already.
The point is that people in the northern states have the option to go south even if they choose not to. That's that point I'm trying to make. We don't even have that option.
For Canadians that like where they are living that is great but for those who yearn for warmer climates, it's disappointing. I can't snap my fingers and become an American or Australian etc.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:29 PM

I didn't say snap your fingers. I said get to work on your papers. Just sounds like you don't want to deal with the "immigration hoops". If you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen. Until then, layer up.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For Canadians that like where they are living that is great but for those who yearn for warmer climates, it's disappointing. I can't snap my fingers and become an American or Australian etc.
Well there is Mikeyyc in here who lives in Houston... He loves it down there and he made it happen.. Maybe you should do the same. Forgive the rest of us if we aren't going to share in your climate sorrows... Should we?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The point is that people in the northern states have the option to go south even if they choose not to. That's that point I'm trying to make. We don't even have that option.
If you are Canadian and you want warmer weather in the winter then your options are limited,
You could immigrate to the USA ,a course of action you cant be bothered to explore.if you change your mind =
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...sa+from+canada
You could become a snowbird and spend winters in Florida.
You could move to Florida as an illegal.
You could buy a higher quality of winter clothing.
Move to Montreal and live in the underground city.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:31 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are Canadian and you want warmer weather in the winter then your options are limited,
You could immigrate to the USA ,a course of action you cant be bothered to explore.if you change your mind =
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q...sa+from+canada
You could become a snowbird and spend winters in Florida.
You could move to Florida as an illegal.
You could buy a higher quality of winter clothing.
Move to Montreal and live in the underground city.
Are there really houses and apartments underground in Montreal?!

Old 09-21-2015, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Are there really houses and apartments underground in Montreal?!
I don't think so. I wouldn't even call it an underground city. It's more like an indoors city, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada