Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,832 times

Advertisements

-10c isn't cold at all to me if the air is dry, it's sunny, and there's no wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
-20C and sunny is better than 10C and pouring rain to me.
LOL and I'm the opposite.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,694,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. The OP seems to be operating on the premise that "Canadians would flock to live in a tropical climate if they could," and I just don't see that such is the case. While some--such as the OP-- undoubtedly would, it seems to me that most of us like things the way they are, and don't feel ourselves hard done by if we have no "tropical Canada" to move to permanently.

If Canadians want to live in a tropical climate, they can certainly apply to immigrate to warmer countries: the US, the Philippines, Costa Rica, Spain, and so on. Nothing is stopping them.
If that's the case, why are there so many snowbird retirees in places like Florida or Arizona and decide not to stay in Canada for the winter? My own grandparents even lived in Arizona for half the year way back when and probably would have lived there the whole year if they could have. My aunt and uncle have a place in Florida that they love going to and spending lots of time there and my aunt is always complaining about the cold when she has to come up for the winter from time to time. This situation is not uncommon at all.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:58 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I never said I was suffering. I was just pointing out facts which you can't deny...
Facts we cannot deny. Let's see.

-- Canada has no tropical areas where it is hot year-round. True.

-- Other developed countries have places where citizens can move where it is hot year-round. True, to an extent, and the US and Australia certainly fit the bill. But where is the in-country equivalent of Hawaii or Brisbane for citizens of the UK, Sweden, and Germany?

-- Canada is "pitiful," because its citizens have so few climate choices in which to live. Subjective opinion.

One indisputable fact, one disputable fact, and one opinion.

Quote:
...and also explaining my climate preferences.
Your preferences; not necessarily those of each and every Canadian. Unless you have solid and reputable cites (i.e. no blogs, editorials, or op-eds) showing that each Canadian feels him- or herself poorer for not having a hot-weather place to live, all you have is an opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, as you are to your preferences. But to imply--which you've done through your posts--that your opinion and preferences are correct, and any Canadian who doesn't think your way is deluded, smacks of extreme hubris. You don't speak for Canadians; you speak only for yourself.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Whoever says "I just like the typical Canadian climate we have here" is just kidding himself. I mean, seriously? I see people flying to Florida in January, but few flying to Yellow knife in July because they miss the cold weather that much.
I've been to Yellowknife in July. It wasn't cold at all, and I didn't need a coat. There was no snow, outdoor cafes were open, and there were even flowers blooming.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
If that's the case, why are there so many snowbird retirees in places like Florida or Arizona and decide not to stay in Canada for the winter? My own grandparents even lived in Arizona for half the year way back when and probably would have lived there the whole year if they could have. My aunt and uncle have a place in Florida that they love going to and spending lots of time there and my aunt is always complaining about the cold when she has to come up for the winter from time to time. This situation is not uncommon at all.
Gee, let's see. My Dad, a gentleman who made it to his late 80s, never lived in Florida or Arizona half the year. Neither did any grandparent (my grandmothers hit their 90s), or other elderly relative. They all happily lived in Canada year-round. I'm unconvinced that your proposition is "not uncommon at all."

You can cherry-pick examples all you like. In the end, anecdotes do not equal data.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:08 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
I've been to Yellowknife in July. It wasn't cold at all, and I didn't need a coat. There was no snow, outdoor cafes were open, and there were even flowers blooming.
you miss the point. People fly to Miami for the warm weather in winter. You didn't fly to Yellowknife for the weather, did you? People visit South Pole too.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Gee, let's see. My Dad, a gentleman who made it to his late 80s, never lived in Florida or Arizona half the year. Neither did any grandparent (my grandmothers hit their 90s), or other elderly relative. They all happily lived in Canada year-round. I'm unconvinced that your proposition is "not uncommon at all."

You can cherry-pick examples all you like. In the end, anecdotes do not equal data.
nobody is saying everyone, or most people live in Florida. Most people don't move for many reasons: to be close to family, not having enough money, access to healthcare etc. But ask your parents or grandparents if they prefer warmer climate, they would say yes. Ask them if they wish winter is shorter and warmer in Canada, they would say yes. They won't say "No way, we are Canadians! Without 5 months of winter I can't fully live my life!"

There are many retirees who live in Florida half of the year nevertheless, for nothing but the warm weather. On the other hand, nobody moves from Florida or California to Quebec or Ontario because the weather is more desirable.

Quote:
Facts we cannot deny. Let's see.

-- Canada has no tropical areas where it is hot year-round. True.

-- Other developed countries have places where citizens can move where it is hot year-round. True, to an extent, and the US and Australia certainly fit the bill. But where is the in-country equivalent of Hawaii or Brisbane for citizens of the UK, Sweden, and Germany?
The UK and Germany are not as cold as most of Canada. That's the difference. Even a northern city like Edinburgh or Hamburg are still much milder in winter than Toronto and Montreal, not to mention southern cities. Regina/Winnipeg kind of weather simply don't exist in those countries. And like Canadians, plenty of British move to Spain. There are Spanish towns of mostly British people.

Sweden is as sad as Canada in terms of climate choice.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
you miss the point. People fly to Miami for the warm weather in winter. You didn't fly to Yellowknife for the weather, did you? People visit South Pole too.
No, I'm getting the point. True, I didn't fly to Yellowknife for the weather; it was a business trip. And it is equally true that some people fly to Miami in winter, for the warm weather.

But not everybody! Again, you and Deneb seem to be arguing that Canadians are just dying to get away from winter, and consider themselves poorer if they cannot. You do not understand that not everybody thinks the way you do. You have an opinion, as do those who disagree with you. Nobody is right, and neither are they wrong.

(And the insinuation that Yellowknife is snow-covered and cold in July is just plain wrong. You should visit it in summer--you'd be surprised.)

Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
Quote:
Sweden is as sad as Canada in terms of climate choice.
Then you have the choice not to visit or move to Canada or Sweden... It's not like geographic entities have the choice to pack up and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada