Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Don't be disingenuous. You set up Palm Springs as a typical alternative to Canada's long winters:

when the fact is that Palm Springs is too hot and dry for almost everyone.
My statement still stands. It's not my personal belief that Palm Springs is great for weather, but apparently it is for many others...including family and friends.
Especially the friends that have bought condos/homes down there in the last 5 years. They defend Palm Springs weather ( just as they are in denial about the water issue ).

I also stated my weather preference for a holiday in an earlier post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 PM

430 posts, read 835,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
5 degrees makes a big difference. I don't know why you are in such denial. I agree it won't have a "lifestyle" change, being 5 degrees warmer often means the difference being able to walk comfortable outside, or being stuck in doors all the time. Plus 3 and minus 2 feels completely different.

For example, Montreal is about 5 degrees colder than Toronto, anyone who has lived in both cities would know the difference.
No half-intelligent person is "stuck indoors all the time" in just about any climate. Is there a shortage of goose down parkas where you are or something? I wasn't stuck inside at all during the great Polar Vortex of last winter in NYC when we had Toronto-like high temperatures of -10 C. I just wore a parka, and was plenty warm even standing still in the wind perusing books outdoors at Strand.

Now Montreal gets enough snow that maybe that's different. Maybe people are stuck inside because there's just no way to navigate the snow outside. But that probably doesn't happen for very long in Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:20 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Maybe people are stuck inside because there's just no way to navigate the snow outside. But that probably doesn't happen for very long in Toronto, Calgary, or Vancouver.
I've had more snow days off work in 8 years in Houston than I did in 30+ years in Calgary.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Palm Springs is too hot in the summer even for my tastes ... I'd much rather Honolulu or San Diego. I'd still choose Palm Springs over Vancouver primarily for having a lot more sunshine especially in the winter.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My statement still stands. It's not my personal belief that Palm Springs is great for weather, but apparently it is for many others...including family and friends.
Especially the friends that have bought condos/homes down there in the last 5 years. They defend Palm Springs weather ( just as they are in denial about the water issue ).
Well, maybe we can agree that your family & friends have very different preferences from most people.

And that it's not quite fair of someone to come from a cold climate, spend a week in Palm Springs, and conclude, "Whew, that's it! A 'warm' climate is not for me!"

Old 09-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, maybe we can agree that your family & friends have very different preferences from most people.

And that it's not quite fair of someone to come from a cold climate, spend a week in Palm Springs, and conclude, "Whew, that's it! A 'warm' climate is not for me!"
That would be true if in my case I had only spent a week in Palm Springs like weather. I last a week there NOW.
I had to spend longer periods of time in the desert, visiting my grandmother.

I also have been to other hot spots, and have concluded I would not like to live in a warm climate year round.
In fact, with the cooler weather we are having in Vancouver now, I'm absolutely delighted!

Old 09-24-2015, 01:14 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
How can a country be a failure in terms of its climate?

It's located up north, of course the weather sucks. It's not like Canada can magically move itself into the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
How can a country be a failure in terms of its climate?

It's located up north, of course the weather sucks. It's not like Canada can magically move itself into the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Basically a couple posters don't like the weather where they live and have no way to ever escape Canada.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Yeah, Canada needs to change its climate. They need to put a dome over the country or something.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Yeah, Canada needs to change its climate. They need to put a dome over the country or something.
The dome idea has had it's day

Climate change is turning us into a banana belt LOL

Abbotsford goes bananas as plant bears fruit in hot summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada