Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 11:59 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Because it was windy, cold and sometimes rainy, and it was summer, that is just **** weather. If it was cool but sunny and not windy it wouldn't be so bad, but it wasn't.
I went to San Francisco in July one year and it was cool and windy and even had fog on some days. I had to wear a jacket but it didn't bother me. I even spoke to some other tourists and they didn't care either. They were just happy to be there and San Francisco is generally known to have a pretty pleasant climate. It wasn't beach weather but it was pleasant. I imagine Edinburgh to feel similar in summer just much cloudier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I went to San Francisco in July one year and it was cool and windy and even had fog on some days. I had to wear a jacket but it didn't bother me. I even spoke to some other tourists and they didn't care either. They were just happy to be there and San Francisco is generally known to have a pretty pleasant climate. It wasn't beach weather but it was pleasant. I imagine Edinburgh to feel similar in summer just much cloudier.
August is usually very foggy and chilly in S.F. I seem to remember the fog rolling in around 5 pm, and really making it cold.

I've been to Edinburgh in the summer, the weather was clear, but coolish. It's luck of the draw.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
August is usually very foggy and chilly in S.F. I seem to remember the fog rolling in around 5 pm, and really making it cold.

I've been to Edinburgh in the summer, the weather was clear, but coolish. It's luck of the draw.
I went to Edinburgh in late Dec, cold but nothing compares with central Canada. You can still walk on its charming streets appreciating those 1000 year old castles for hours without feeling the need to go indoors. Definitely one of the highlights of my UK trip, far more enjoyable than San Francisco.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Rain ruins all vacations, whether it is 15C or 30C. Your friends just happen to be unlucky. My point is you can't say Edinburgh has bad summers based on their experience.

I went to Vancouver with my mother in late Sept and it rained 4 days out of 7 we were there. Luckily I never encountered too much rain in any other city I traveled to.
Vancouver summers are quite dry and sunny. Late September is usually fairly nice, even up into mid-October can be beach weather. It all depends.

Places like Vancouver that get a fair bit of rain, wouldn't be so verdant. The plants here grow to enormous sizes.

I've haven't done any research on Rhododendrons in Ontario, and I'm only going by what one person from Toronto expressed, the weather and rain create things like this.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Fun facts:
- Fairbanks, Alaska is warmer in July than San Fransisco. A lot wetter too.
- Victoria has the driest summers in Canada (outside of a couple of Arctic islands that get like 6 tourists per year).
- There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. ~ A Swedish saying

Last edited by Glacierx; 04-07-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post

- There's not such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. ~ A Swedish saying
really? Ask the genius Swedish guy what's appropriate clothing when it is 50C with burning sun, as it is in parts of South Asia or the middle east?

no bad weather? What about 3 feet of snow blocking streets and even doors of houses and apartments?

That saying is pure BS. If appropriate clothing automatically cancels bad weather, why do Canadians and British (probably Swedish too) flock to tropic countries in the winter? All they need to do is to put on some clothes, how stupid are those people!

Will putting on more clothes make it possible for someone to play golf, tennis or swim?

yeah, right, there is no such thing as bad weather.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:31 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
really? Ask the genius Swedish guy what's appropriate clothing when it is 50C with burning sun, as it is in parts of South Asia or the middle east?
Well obviously this only applies to Sweden or most of Canada were you don't have those temperatures. I don't mind the cold because I can dress for it. Heat on the other hand sucks donkey nuts.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Well obviously this only applies to Sweden or most of Canada were you don't have those temperatures. I don't mind the cold because I can dress for it. Heat on the other hand sucks donkey nuts.
That's not true if so.

My colleague used to talk about the winter in Regina. It is so cold and so dry that you can't expose your skin in the air for more than 5 minutes, otherwise, your skin will start to crack.

When the weather is this bad, can we honestly say "there is no bad weather? just wrap your entire body with heavy clothes 24/7"? Bad weather is bad weather.

As I mentioned, extremely cold weather prevent us from doing a lot of things we could do under normal weather. Such as walking on the street for 15 minutes without freezing to death.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:47 PM

I think Toronto's weather is getting to poor Bottie.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:50 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think Toronto's weather is getting to poor Bottie.
He does seem a little grumpier than usual, doesn't he?

Damp, cloudy weather bothers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada