U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Saskatchewan is more similar to
Alberta 6 40.00%
Manitoba 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:31 PM

873 posts, read 813,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Have you ever been to Saskatchewan, or, I don't know, looked at a map? Fully half the province is boreal forest and lakes.
Yes I have and the majority of it is flat prairie land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:04 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Yes I have and the majority of it is flat prairie land.
You should look a little deeper... See that whole half, covered with blue and no roads/people. That would be the lakey woody part.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 PM

873 posts, read 813,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You should look a little deeper... See that whole half, covered with blue and no roads/people. That would be the lakey woody part.
If the map showed Manitoba you would see the giant Lake Manitoba bigger than any lake in Saskatchewan. I never said it has no lakes or trees at all, I said Manitoba has more.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,749,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I didn't spend enough time in Winnipeg to make any firm conclusions as to whether it had anything in common with Ontario. But, it is also my impression that the extreme western part of Ontario has more in common with Manitoba than the rest of Ontario. I know once you get west of Winnipeg you're pretty much into the Prairies, but what is the case heading EB on the T-Can from Winnipeg? Does the Prairie landscape continue for a bit or are you into Canadian Shield pretty quickly?
I've driven eastbound on the Trans-Canada from Winnipeg. For the first part of the drive, you're driving through prairies--maybe 80 km or so. Then, the forest starts; and still later, the Shield shows itself. By the time you hit the Ontario border, you are definitely in Shield country.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:16 AM

368 posts, read 300,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I've driven eastbound on the Trans-Canada from Winnipeg. For the first part of the drive, you're driving through prairies--maybe 80 km or so. Then, the forest starts; and still later, the Shield shows itself. By the time you hit the Ontario border, you are definitely in Shield country.
Thanks.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:10 AM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
If the map showed Manitoba you would see the giant Lake Manitoba bigger than any lake in Saskatchewan. I never said it has no lakes or trees at all, I said Manitoba has more.
I know I'm being pedantic at this point but this is what you said;

Manitoba is flat but unlike Saskatchewan it has a lot of trees and lakes.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 AM

741 posts, read 2,544,754 times
To answer the question it's more like Manitoba by far.

Things have changed a lot since I left, but both have similar populations, similar mixed economies, nearly identical political upbringings and demographics, similar topographies.

You have almost the same size population except you have one major city in Manitoba and Sask has it split between Regina and Saskatoon. Both are historically and political got a connection with grass roots prairie sort of left wing politics and have the same balance historically on the other right hand side as well. They both have a good mining and huge agrarian economy sector... there's never a day where someone isn't talking about the "wheat board" (CWB) or something.

Prairies are flat, Alberta is NOT flat has many mountains. Sask is somewhat flat but has more plateaus and rolling hills compared to Manitoba. If you drive West from Winnipeg, you hit what is called "the escarpment" which is around Brandon where there this sort of carve in the landscape. Sask has lots of places like that, these big digs and so forth.. it's kind of neat actually. But Alberta is far more rugged in landscape and of course way more drier being on the leeward side of the Rockies.

Alberta is different than both of these by far in all respects, even though some things are similar too. But by far Sask is way more like Manitoba in comparison. That's my 2 cents

Last edited by smakawhat; 10-01-2015 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: link, spelling

Old 10-27-2015, 03:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,750,122 times
Judging by election results: Alberta. The Conservatives won the popular vote in AB and SK. Manitoba sure digs the Liberals more than the other Prairie provinces.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
Prairies are flat, Alberta is NOT flat has many mountains.
There are impressive mountains in Alberta to be sure, but there is an awful lot of flat-ish farmland in that province as well.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:20 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Manitoba sure digs the Liberals more than the other Prairie provinces.
Loads of commies in Manitoba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada