U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:12 AM

579 posts, read 469,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
IMO the British/Commonwealth definition of conservative is the direction I believe the Republican Party should head towards. Like you said; conservative in the right ways but without the ignorance, bigotry, and backwardness of the GOP.

As a moderate Republican I have long viewed the Canadian & UK Conservatives, Australian Liberals, and New Zealand National Party as inspiration for the reform and modernization of the GOP brand ... sadly it seems most Republicans want to become even more conservative
Too conservative for their own good by now...

In Canada (and, by that logic, UK, NZ and Australia also) left and right seem to be framed primarily in terms of economic issues, more than social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 AM

368 posts, read 301,682 times
The desire to be framed primarily in terms of economic issues rather than social issues is actually part of the reason why Stephen Harper is viewed as being a control-freak. The Conservative Party of Canada was created in 2003-2004 as the result of a merger between the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada and the Canadian Alliance. The latter had a reputation as being too right-wing to be considered electable by people east of Manitoba and because Canada had two right-wing parties the Liberals were able to capitalize on that and win elections. Once the parties merged into one, you had a "big tent" conservative party in Canada with a wide-range of views from the old Tory mentality of fiscal conservatism and social liberalism to some more right-wing politicians. Critics tried to charge that abortion rights and same-sex rights would suffer under Harper and believe me there are some Conservative MP's who are not in favour of abortion and same-sex marriage. There have been no extreme overhaul of either, but from time to time an MP does open his or her mouth, which brings up the old charges.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:19 PM

9,555 posts, read 9,431,995 times
The meaning of conservatism has changed over time. Pierre Trudeau may even be considered conservative in some respects.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 AM

12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The meaning of conservatism has changed over time. Pierre Trudeau may even be considered conservative in some respects.
In what context?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM

18,326 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Thank you.
Hey!!!!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:47 PM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hey!!!!
That was three years ago. Have you gotten younger since then?

Old 05-24-2018, 02:07 PM

Oh yeah, I remember 'Dief the Chief' and those jowels of his.

When you consider Canada's slow but inexorable movement away from strict conservatism, you also have to wonder at what pace some provinces are prepared to put "nationalism" down the priority list.

It seems to me we've all been prepared to adopt a less conservative approach until someone does something to anger a particular province such as Trudeau with his National Energy Policy that sort of cut Alberta's suspenders letting it's pants drop in full view of the parishoners. Who could not understand today how Peter Loughheed and his "let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark" rose up followed by a number of parties like White Rose etc.,

We have to be careful about maintaining inclusiveness lest we risk a fracture that cannot be fixed and this broohah between B.C. and Alberta comes about through lack of federal leadership of the experienced kind. A senior statesman would have read both provincial leaders the riot act with an admonishment of exactly where their nonsense could take them if they played brinksmanship as their only game.

I believe in fiscal conservatism but am far left of the "Sunday go to church and Monday lay off your workers" conservative.

Dief was a stubborn man.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That was three years ago. Have you gotten younger since then?
Only in my mind.....what's left of it.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
I'd add it's a lack of leadership by the Premiers as well. They're basically dabbling in Trump caliber populism. One because he did it to get elected, and the other because she's trying to hold on.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'd add it's a lack of leadership by the Premiers as well. They're basically dabbling in Trump caliber populism. One because he did it to get elected, and the other because she's trying to hold on.
Yep. Concisely stated.

The problem comes from them never having the maturity to look at the end game and take a higher road. Pandering to an electorate base is the easiest thing to do with the mistake being in thinking "well, at least my voters cannot accuse me of going back on my word."

The paradox is quite often one of your voting base being simpletons who haven't the ability to think outside the little sandbox they routinely play in. It's a big world out there and thinking your little fiefdom is the end-all and be-all in today's reality only get's you a 'deer-caught-in-the-headlights' comeuppance somewhere down the road.

All politicians are at one time faced with the conundrum of "doing the right thing" versus what their constituents want and expect. It takes an experienced statesperson to craft their contrary decision in such a way that it appeals, or at least be palatable, to the greater majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada