U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I am voting for this person!
Stephen Harper, Conservative Party 15 31.25%
Tom Mulcair, NDP 10 20.83%
Elizabeth May, Green Party 3 6.25%
Gilles Duceppe, Bloc Quebecois 6 12.50%
Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:36 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,450,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm so fed up of the Conservative government can't take my chances! The last thing I want is it to be a 30 percent NDP, 33 percent Liberal, 35 percent Con (everyone else shares what's left) and Trottier the Con gets in....!! NOOOOO lol...
What is supposed to be the strategic vote this time, though? Liberal or NDP as the more likely get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 04:30 PM

873 posts, read 815,782 times
If the Liberals continue to lead on the polls and NDP support slips I will definitely vote for the Libs to get the Torries out. Plus I believe the Liberal candidate in my riding is ahead of the NDP anyway. I usually don't do strategic voting but with the race so close it is best for Canada to be strategic to get the Cons defeated.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:19 PM

430 posts, read 677,100 times
The NDP (106) and the Liberals (108) are virtually tied in the projected seat race even as Liberals are showing a 1.7% advantage in voting percentage. So it's too early to tell which is the more strategic vote in the overall race, but you will assuredly know by October 19.

I personally think Mulcair comes across as quite smart (the smartest of the three) and a very capable leader, while Trudeau comes off as more of a lightweight between the ears.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:22 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
What is supposed to be the strategic vote this time, though? Liberal or NDP as the more likely get?
A strategic vote would depend on the riding.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times
Quote:
Its basically a vote to ensure that the Conservative candidate doesn't get in in a particular riding where combined NDP/Liberal votes exceeds the Cons. In the 2011 election if people voted this way then the Cons wouldn't have received a majority.. There were plenty of ridings where the combined NDP/Liberal vote was substantially more than the Conservative yet because the Cons got more votes than Libs or NDP alone the Cons got the riding.

In my riding the Liberal candidate is polling better than the NDP so I'm throwing my vote to the Liberal candidate - if the NDP candidate was polling better than the Liberal - i'd vote NDP.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:09 PM

12,694 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Quote:
www.strategic.voting.ca

Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its basically a vote to ensure that the Conservative candidate doesn't get in in a particular riding where combined NDP/Liberal votes exceeds the Cons. In the 2011 election if people voted this way then the Cons wouldn't have received a majority.. There were plenty of ridings where the combined NDP/Liberal vote was substantially more than the Conservative yet because the Cons got more votes than Libs or NDP alone the Cons got the riding.

In my riding the Liberal candidate is polling better than the NDP so I'm throwing my vote to the Liberal candidate - if the NDP candidate was polling better than the Liberal - i'd vote NDP.
This is why I don't bother voting since my riding is Toronto Centre. Nothing I do will change a thing because it's the seats not the number of votes that matters.
This riding thing is stupid. My vote is completely irrelevant. So much for democracy.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is why I don't bother voting since my riding is Toronto Centre. Nothing I do will change a thing because it's the seats not the number of votes that matters.
This riding thing is stupid. My vote is completely irrelevant. So much for democracy.
There are ridings where the results won't be so clear.. These ridings have the power to change the face of the head of our government.. With that said yes, in Toronto Centre you are a blue duck surrounded by red and orange one's... Why is that botti lol... urrm nm and i'm just pulling your leg..

In my riding the incumbent M.P is a Con - he has 33 percent support based on the latest polling numbers vs 40 percent for the Lib candidate.. In this riding my vote will definitely count so I will be heading to the ballot box to ensure I do my part to paint this riding red.

I do think we should adopt a system that credits individual votes though - not sure of the term - proportional voting system or something.. If that system was in place in 2011 things wouldn't have been quite different though and I don't think Harper would have had his majority government.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM

12,694 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That's why people want reform. With true representative government, we never would of had PM Harper in power.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That's why people want reform. With true representative government, we never would of had PM Harper in power.
AH representative government.. You so smart Nat

though wouldn't Harper have had his minority governments all along (including 2011) because the Cons received the highest number of representative votes of the parties in question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or