U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: I am voting for this person!
Stephen Harper, Conservative Party 15 31.25%
Tom Mulcair, NDP 10 20.83%
Elizabeth May, Green Party 3 6.25%
Gilles Duceppe, Bloc Quebecois 6 12.50%
Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nobody's doing anything in the voting booth to be cool. It's just that it's less cool among young people (and in certain circles, regardless of age) to say you're voting Tory. Hence when some Tory voters keep their views to themselves, and Harper's score is higher than the polls predicted.
I would love to actually see any evidence of this, because this just sounds like opinion to me.

When pollsters are doing polls they are anonymous, so it's seem highly unlikely anyone is worried about coolness or what people think. Sort of like CD

In public, I think most Canadians tend to keep their political associations private to a point. Perhaps tended to is more apt, since I'm finding people now in general conversation are very vocal about opposing Harper.

The Tories also seem not to have a youth wing, since 2005. They are against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2015, 10:40 PM
 
261 posts, read 202,997 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nobody's doing anything in the voting booth to be cool. It's just that it's less cool among young people (and in certain circles, regardless of age) to say you're voting Tory. Hence when some Tory voters keep their views to themselves, and Harper's score is higher than the polls predicted.
I think that's what they call the Shy Tory effect. In Quebec provincial elections we supposedly have the Shy Liberal effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 10:54 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,751,138 times
Reputation: 931
Jennifer Hollett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Halifax, NS
225 posts, read 147,581 times
Reputation: 156
I think I've set my mind on Liberals because they are most likely to win in my riding. I was switching between them and NDP.

Basically, I'm voting ABC.

Unfortunately, ABC doesn't work, people need to get behind one party. Most people want Stephen Harper out of office, but vote for different parties so Harper comes up the middle, and in 2011 got a majority government with only 30% of the vote. First Past the Post sucks.

Disappointed by poll results here... and to think this forum was recommended to me by a friend because there are fewer right-wing crazies on where we were before.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I think that's what they call the Shy Tory effect. In Quebec provincial elections we supposedly have the Shy Liberal effect.
Exactly what I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
I think I've set my mind on Liberals because they are most likely to win in my riding. I was switching between them and NDP.

Basically, I'm voting ABC.

Unfortunately, ABC doesn't work, people need to get behind one party. Most people want Stephen Harper out of office, but vote for different parties so Harper comes up the middle, and in 2011 got a majority government with only 30% of the vote. First Past the Post sucks.

Disappointed by poll results here... and to think this forum was recommended to me by a friend because there are fewer right-wing crazies on where we were before.
Well, at least the discussions here aren't a Tory circle jerk.

Bienvenue BTW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2015, 09:40 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
430 posts, read 676,619 times
Reputation: 618
And with 40 votes in... nothing is settled! The plurality is at a mere 27.5%.

In other words, everyone better vote in less than a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
New Nanos poll this morning shows the Liberals and Bloc rising in Quebec. Tories are fourth in Quebec at just under 18%.

Nanos find the Tories 10 points lower than a seemingly dubious EKOS poll this week than showed them at 28% and in first place in the province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Reputation: 7586
I was doing this survey https://votecompass.cbc.ca/

and I was wondering, how come the socially liberal, fiscally conservative parties can't thrive in Canada? All four parties are either on the upper left corner (Green, NDP, liberal) or the lower right corner (CON).

For example, do fiscally conservative people have to be all supportive of Jesus Christ and care about Israel? I don't get it. I would think the upper right corner would make the most sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,593 posts, read 11,074,156 times
Reputation: 10301
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I was doing this survey https://votecompass.cbc.ca/

and I was wondering, how come the socially liberal, fiscally conservative parties can't thrive in Canada? All four parties are either on the upper left corner (Green, NDP, liberal) or the lower right corner (CON).

For example, do fiscally conservative people have to be all supportive of Jesus Christ and care about Israel? I don't get it. I would think the upper right corner would make the most sense.

What do you thing the PC's are? They're socially liberal fiscally conservative. They're certianly further left than the most liberal Democrats in the US. I'd also posit that they're thriving fine. They've been in Government for a while, and just had a 44 year run in Alberta, that followed a 40+ year run from the Social Credits, which were another conservative party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top