Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I am voting for this person!
Stephen Harper, Conservative Party 15 31.25%
Tom Mulcair, NDP 10 20.83%
Elizabeth May, Green Party 3 6.25%
Gilles Duceppe, Bloc Quebecois 6 12.50%
Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
The NDP have been seeing their numbers fall in the polls in recent days. The Liberals and CPC are neck-and-neck right now.
Wait 30 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Huh? Considering that the it's usually the immature, IE youth, that worry about a " cool " factor, and the youth don't vote in strong numbers, I find your statement rather amusing.

If I was going to apply ones coolness concerns in regards to voting, I'd say those people would choose the Green Party.
Look at the 2011 election results and polling towards the end of the campaign. The Tories came in about 4 points higher than all the polls, and the Liberals and the NDP came in a few points below.

Not all Conservative voters are senior citizens!

Old 09-30-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Look at the 2011 election results and polling towards the end of the campaign. The Tories came in about 4 points higher than all the polls, and the Liberals and the NDP came in a few points below.

Not all Conservative voters are senior citizens!
So by your earlier statement on coolness, you are saying young voters who vote Conservative aren't doing it to be cool, but young voters who vote NDP and Liberal are?

Right, got it.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That is very unlikely to happen.

The crowds? As if that's an accurate indication of support.
I thought it was very unlikely that the NDP would win a majority in Alberta and look what happened. But we'll wait and see until the election.

I would be dissapointed if Harper won. Whether you're a Conservative voter or not, you have to admit his term in office has been too long. He is the second longest running Prime Minister in Canada.

Plus with the bills like C-51 and C-35 I would be very concerned where Canada's freedom and privacy are headed to if the Cons won a majority. Not to mention the Conservatives don't want to change the voting system which affects democracy in Canada. Having said all this due to the system we have and the vote splitting on the left, I wouldn't be surprised if Harper won unfortunately.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I thought it was very unlikely that the NDP would win a majority in Alberta and look what happened. But we'll wait and see until the election.

I would be dissapointed if Harper won. Whether you're a Conservative voter or not, you have to admit his term in office has been too long. He is the second longest running Prime Minister in Canada.

Plus with the bills like C-51 and C-35 I would be very concerned where Canada's freedom and privacy are headed to if the Cons won a majority. Not to mention the Conservatives don't want to change the voting system which affects democracy in Canada. Having said all this due to the system we have and the vote splitting on the left, I wouldn't be surprised if Harper won unfortunately.
Here's a list of some of Harper's and his cons stellar moments. Scary reading.

http://www.thetyee.ca/Documents/2015...ok%20final.pdf

Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 PM

Very interesting interview from an insider.

Audio | CBC Radio

Old 09-30-2015, 04:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:

I would be dissapointed if Harper won. He is the second longest running Prime Minister in Canada.
It seems like it but nooo not quite lol.. Mackenzie King, Sir John A Mac, Sir Wilfred Laurier, PET, Chretien all served longer.. Harper would be around the same length as Borden and St. Laurent.. Now if he god forbids shoot me, flog me, flay me, kick me in the groin wins than he'll best Borden, St Laurent and probably Chretien (assuming he isn't in a minority and quickly toppled) and will be getting close to PET and Laurier.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-30-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 05:55 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It seems like it but nooo not quite lol.. Mackenzie King, Sir John A Mac, Sir Wilfred Laurier, PET, Chretien all served longer.. Harper would be around the same length as Borden and St. Laurent.. Now if he god forbids shoot me, flog me, flay me, kick me in the groin wins than he'll best Borden, St Laurent and probably Chretien (assuming he isn't in a minority and quickly toppled) and will be getting close to PET and Laurier.
Ah sorry I thought I heard from someone he had the second longest term. Either way he's been there too long.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Ah sorry I thought I heard from someone he had the second longest term. Either way he's been there too long.
No need to apologize - many of the PM's I listed were waaaaay before our time but indeed we've had some PM's with very lengthy terms.. William Lyon Mackenzie King for example served as Canadian PM for 22 years albeit after his first nine years he lost to Bennett in 1930 only to get back in 1935 and served another 13 years straight lol... Imagine that with Harper - loses this year but comes back in 2020 and serves until 2033

Old 09-30-2015, 06:47 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So by your earlier statement on coolness, you are saying young voters who vote Conservative aren't doing it to be cool, but young voters who vote NDP and Liberal are?

Right, got it.
Nobody's doing anything in the voting booth to be cool. It's just that it's less cool among young people (and in certain circles, regardless of age) to say you're voting Tory. Hence when some Tory voters keep their views to themselves, and Harper's score is higher than the polls predicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada