U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 12:36 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,064,659 times

Advertisements

Boston's warmer. The same weather systems that affect Boston also move northward up the coast, so Boston's weather typically becomes the Maritimes' weather within 8 hours or so.

Comparing the size, industry, economy, lifestyle, etc., it's comparable probably to Montreal (Boston metro compared to Montreal metro). They both have such different cultures and "vibes", but they have similar density, a sense of history and heritage, regional importance, and a unique quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 02:45 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,300,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

And I agree that Manhattan, Paris, Tokyo, etc., all have lots of appeal. Toronto seems to be aiming at a Hong Kong-esque cityscape with the high-rise residences. I just don't think that look would fit in well in Montreal. Just my opinion.
Toronto will never be anything like HK's city scape no matter how many condos it builds. HK doesn't have 80% of its land occupied by 1-3 story homes. Toronto will always remain largely a lowrise city, while HK is anything but.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, in that case I am happy to be living in Toronto. I like change and don't want to live in a city that remains unchanged for 20 years. I particularly love having more people coming into the city core. All Canadian and American cities (except NYC) have too few people in the city centre. I can't stand empty streets at 11pm Tuesday night. I want the Manhattan/Tokyo/Shanghai kind of energy. If downtown has half a million people one day, I will be all happy.

Right now, about 6 new highrises within 5 minutes from my condo is under construction, and that excites me.

Like you said, different city for different people.
half a million people in the same footprint as existing DT

I don't disagree with you re HK vs Toronto (outside the DT core and some nodals in the GTA) either but that aerial pic you posted is pretty dated there Botti lol - has to be around or even before the boom started in 06.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-25-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 04:49 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I brought up Manhattan because, like Toronto of late, it's built largely by high-rises. That's pretty much the only thing that keeps Montreal from exploding like that. The street-level density of Montreal is more than enough as is. Considering it's overall one of the densest cities in NA, despite not having many high-rise dwellings, should give an idea of how compact/crammed it is there. Most locals don't care to have an explosion of skyscrapers. What they are currently doing with the number of mid-rise condo projects sprouting up around town is more than ideal. By the way, currently, Montreal's population is approx. 2M. 1.6M was in 2011. It is growing at a reasonable pace -- just not with massive high-rises.

And I agree that Manhattan, Paris, Tokyo, etc., all have lots of appeal. Toronto seems to be aiming at a Hong Kong-esque cityscape with the high-rise residences. I just don't think that look would fit in well in Montreal. Just my opinion.
Don't dismiss Toronto's late night energy on the streets.. The city is growing at a rapid clip.. I moved away from the DT core a year ago and every time I visit the city is getting busier and busier all the time.. This is what tends to happen with a city that is growing by over 12K people in its DT core alone yoy so you constantly have to evaluate it because it is constantly changing and just getting busier all the time.. Even people who move into all those condo's go out.. They add to the pedestrian fabric of the city..

Its not just 3 or 4 am vibrancy either (which Old Toronto Is nothing to sneer at - ie King St West entertainment district, QSW, Bloor around the Annex, College, Ossington etc) but its also vibrancy at all hours of the day with all the people coming to the core to work and than going shopping or catching theatre or eating at restaurants after work etc. The CBD of DT Toronto is easily the most massive in the country with the most people coming in and add to that a large and ever growing number moving DT to live and work.

Last edited by fusion2; 09-25-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 04:56 PM

92 posts, read 158,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
After living in both cities, I'd say the weather in Boston is very similar to Toronto but Toronto is a little colder though. Montreal is colder than both.

In terms of other areas of comparison, all three cities present the option of an urban downtown life (i.e. no car) or more suburban dwellings or something in between. The cost of Boston is very expensive, even moreso than Toronto and much more than Montreal. But bigger incomes and upper middle class segment in Boston is more prevalent as well as it is the wealthiest of the three.

All three cities are diverse with people from all over but Boston is probably the least of the three and Toronto the highest, one of the most multicultural cities out there. Downtown quality is tough and subjective but all three have good downtowns with lots going on relative to their size. Boston's downtown is cleanest of the three as edgier places are sprinkled elsewhere. Toronto and Montreal have a more gritty feel in more parts of downtown. All cities have pretty vibrant walkable cores and good transportation networks in terms of subways and trains, although complaints always exist.

Both Boston and Montreal are focused on preserving their historical architecture with low rise, tightly packed housing - these are among the two oldest cities on the continent and they want to preserve this feel. Bostonian culture emphasizes education, history, seafood, career advancement, sports and coastal living in the summer. Montreal feels the most bohemian, fashionable, night-life driven and perhaps is the most leftist of the three with a unique French Quebec cultural backdrop. Toronto is more modern and eclectic with a huge emphasis on downtown high rise condo living, which is not as popular in Boston or Montreal. Toronto is also very business-like but embraces diversity the most and has a very well rounded feel (sports, arts, cottaging, ethnic cusine, etc.) being the first city of Canada.

All three are consider safe cities.
Thanks, this is a very good explanation about the differences between the three cities. For what I've been reading, it seems like the downtown in Boston is pretty small and the rest is more kind of suburban areas. And yeah, Toronto seems to have more modern architecture and neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or